Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to stop making silly mistakes Watch

ReputationRep:
    Nice thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saf94)
    I was doing some past papers for my C1 exam and i got 61 out of 75 mostly all were silly mistakes. I was wondering if anyone had any tips or could tell me if they made silly mistakes in their actual exams, i'm hoping when i go into the exam that i'll stop making these mistakes. Any advice or feedback would be marvellous :-)
    I'm in the same boat as you, I've just done my C1 paper and I think I've lost around 20 marks as well due to silly mistakes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yolanda Huang)
    Well,first of all,it is very important to think twice before actions.
    Morever, keeping making silly mistakes may be related to your character and temple.Are you always impatient with guys or foundations of things or unkind or something esle.Think it over,and you may get new ideas.
    You possibly need to read threads before posting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SimonM)
    My QM supervisor recommended checking each line as you go. ie Do a line, check it, do a line, check it..
    This method is useful for those who are fast. Time is limited. So serious practice is important before exam and make sure you have 100% concentration on the paper. So much so that you should forget where you are.

ReputationRep:
    The first time I got 68 out of 110 because of silly mistakes but then I did another test and got 106 out of 110 and i was over the moon because i checked over my work

ReputationRep:
    Stop caring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    The best way to stop silly mistakes is to do a question twice, but the second time completely forget that you've already done it. It's very easy to 'go over your working' while having your initial solution in the back of your mind, and you'll probably just reincorporate the same silly mistake.
    Time consuming unfortunately

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    The best way to stop silly mistakes is to do a question twice, but the second time completely forget that you've already done it. It's very easy to 'go over your working' while having your initial solution in the back of your mind, and you'll probably just reincorporate the same silly mistake.
    Hi, do you mean to do this in an actual exam or during revision? And how exactly? Would you do the question and mark it, then a day or so later, re-answer and re-mark it?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.