Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

They didn't even call me... Watch

Announcements

(Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    You came on TSR asking for advice, I'm giving you advice!
    I came asking for advice on whether to try and maintain the friendship still, not How To Be A Friend 101.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I came asking for advice on whether to try and maintain the friendship still, not How To Be A Friend 101.
    You asked what you should do.

It was my opinion that you should be proactive and set up some kind of meeting. From there you can see whether they really are trying to not be friends with you.

ReputationRep:
    you sound boring and unfriendly

also, you can't do a lot of things so obviously they're not all going to stop going to these places just because you can't. if you've not done anything for 2/3 months, probs best to move on mate.

(Original post by Godot201)
    Mhm. Well it sounds like you're yet to find people you really 'click' with- I mean, if music and going on a few holidays is all you have in common, then I don't think that'll be enough for you to build up strong friendships.

Maybe join a few forums online, and see if any of the members live near you? My best friends live no-where near, but I tend to travel to see them a few times a year. It's not ideal, but at least I feel somewhat more secure that way.

Just an idea, though.
    That wasn't all there was to it - we never had a strong foundation for friendship but, given the circumstances, we built some pretty good friendships on them. We may have never clicked, but we were good together.

Just a shame the foundations seem to be sinking now. Maybe we've just been out of school too long and they don't want to hold on to our past lives. But then, why just cut me out?

(Original post by yahyahyah)
    you sound boring and unfriendly

also, you can't do a lot of things so obviously they're not all going to stop going to these places just because you can't. if you've not done anything for 2/3 months, probs best to move on mate.
    I don't care about that - I've never been able to do these things, so it's not something new, and they're perfectly free to do them. And they have done for many years without inviting me because it was taken I wouldn't be going, just as we didn't invite the guy in a wheelchair to play cricket with us, because the answer we'd get is, "Well, obviously I can't because I'm in a wheelchair."

What I fail to understand is why they're now making a point of inviting me to do things they know I can't do, like inviting me to the film, the restaurant, the holiday (and yes, they did know when the funeral was), or cutting me out of things then denying it, like the film they went to see that we discussed seeing together.

ReputationRep:
    I don't care about that - I've never been able to do these things, so it's not something new, and they're perfectly free to do them. And they have done for many years without inviting me because it was taken I wouldn't be going, just as we didn't invite the guy in a wheelchair to play cricket with us, because the answer we'd get is, "Well, obviously I can't because I'm in a wheelchair."

What I fail to understand is why they're now making a point of inviting me to do things they know I can't do, like inviting me to the film, the restaurant, the holiday (and yes, they did know when the funeral was), or cutting me out of things then denying it, like the film they went to see that we discussed seeing together.
    paranoid

ReputationRep:
    Amblyopia?

Exactly what I have - brain suppresses the image from my right eye, so it only works if I close my left and, even then, it doesn't see properly - very blurry, and it doesn't even really improve with glasses, because I'm too used to not seeing from it.
    My optician didn't give it a name when he explained what was going on,
    and it's my right eye too
    With yours, does it suppress ALL the vision from that eye? with mine it only suppresses the right where there is/would-be an overlap.... so my overall "field of vision" as such, is around.... 85:15, left eye: right eye, i can notice it working a tiny bit.
    My right eye on it's own isn't actually short sighted like my left, despite that it's clearly the poorer eye.... like... it's hard to explain, it can technically focus better but i still don't 'see' that/as well with it. it's strange

(Original post by yahyahyah)
    paranoid
    It's not paranoia if it is actually happening. If I had a feeling they'd gone to the film, but no evidence of it, that would be paranoia; however, I know they did and find it too coincidental that they all went on the same day.

ReputationRep:
    are you a pirate??

(Original post by AnHuman)
    My optician didn't give it a name when he explained what was going on,
    and it's my right eye too
    With yours, does it suppress ALL the vision from that eye? with mine it only suppresses the right where there is/would-be an overlap.... so my overall "field of vision" as such, is around.... 85:15, left eye: right eye, i can notice it working a tiny bit.
    My right eye on it's own isn't actually short sighted like my left, despite that it's clearly the poorer eye.... like... it's hard to explain, it can technically focus better but i still don't 'see' that/as well with it. it's strange
    Pretty much the same as you - as long as my left can see it, it's just the left seeing it ... but, where it's only my right that can, my brain obviously thinks, "Oh well, 'effed up image is better than none at all," and acknowledges it.

Both of my eyes are short sighted, so it's hard to tell which would be better without this suppression in place. Maybe the 'too used to not seeing through it' is the problem with you as well?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe this is why they don't like you. You just don't ever shut the **** up and agree with someone. I hate people who just disagree or argue for the sake of it. They're *******s.

(Original post by Arcanine)
    Maybe this is why they don't like you. You just don't ever shut the **** up and agree with someone. I hate people who just disagree or argue for the sake of it. They're *******s.
    Yes, because the person I am on TSR in an argument is the same person as I am in real life whilst trying to arrange a trip of the cinema. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, because the person I am on TSR in an argument is the same person as I am in real life whilst trying to arrange a trip of the cinema. :rolleyes:
    The irony.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much the same as you - as long as my left can see it, it's just the left seeing it ... but, where it's only my right that can, my brain obviously thinks, "Oh well, 'effed up image is better than none at all," and acknowledges it.

Both of my eyes are short sighted, so it's hard to tell which would be better without this suppression in place. Maybe the 'too used to not seeing through it' is the problem with you as well?
    They tried to 'fix' my 'lazy right eye' as a child, by making me wear an eye patch over my left, to make the right work, I remember wearing (and hating) that for years... it didn't seem to work.

What I think is... is that my maybe my eye's degree of shortsightness is proportional to their use? Like the muscle physically gets more worn/tired/etc (poor wording) with being made to focus and do **** all the time... but that's just my uneducated theory

ReputationRep:
    OMG! you can't see 3D films, I'd be more concerned by this

ReputationRep:
    Move on and find people you have more in common with and click with more. You don't need to wait around for them. Do stuff you enjoy with other, new people

They tried to 'fix' my 'lazy right eye' as a child, by making me wear an eye patch over my left, to make the right work, I remember wearing (and hating) that for years... it didn't seem to work.

What I think is... is that my maybe my eye's degree of shortsightness is proportional to their use? Like the muscle physically gets more worn/tired/etc (poor wording) with being made to focus and do **** all the time... but that's just my uneducated theory
    At least they tried to fix you - no one noticed me until I was eighteen or nineteen, and by then you can't do anything, brain's done with it. The accepted standard is eight years old, although if the optometrist thinks there's an argument for it maybe working beyond, it's not a set rule. Earlier you can do it, the better.

Being short sighted isn't, to my knowledge, related to the muscles. However, if you had an accommodation problem, that sounds like a reasonable theory - it's why vision gets blurry late at night, the muscles are tired and don't accommodate properly. Is your optometrist approachable, could you ask them?

(Original post by torchwood)
    OMG! you can't see 3D films, I'd be more concerned by this
    Thanks for the concern, but I know why, it's not a problem.

ReputationRep:
    At least they tried to fix you - no one noticed me until I was eighteen or nineteen, and by then you can't do anything, brain's done with it. The accepted standard is eight years old, although if the optometrist thinks there's an argument for it maybe working beyond, it's not a set rule. Earlier you can do it, the better.

Being short sighted isn't, to my knowledge, related to the muscles. However, if you had an accommodation problem, that sounds like a reasonable theory - it's why vision gets blurry late at night, the muscles are tired and don't accommodate properly. Is your optometrist approachable, could you ask them?

Thanks for the concern, but I know why, it's not a problem.
    I have amblyopia, was diagnosed at the age of 16 but I can still see films in 3D. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I can't see them either, my brain learnt to deal with 'double vision' by only taking an image from eye at a time, not allowing any image overlap to occur..... so it just looks 2D to me :P
    I realised I wouldn't be able to see it during the ads before the first one i went to see, it's a little bit more fussy, and not 3D obv', but you can still enjoy the film
    little off topic but thought I let you know that you're not missing out on anything. 3D is absolutely overrated; you pay extra for barely any effects, just some fancy glasses and a mild headache! :confused: lol

ReputationRep:
    An idea is to arrange something you know they might not be able to do but you can, and see what their reaction is, whether they are evidently verbal that they can't do it; it would create a great foundation for an ironic argument.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 27, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.