Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Arab Women... Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I think that's a generalisation, maybe it's the case in Saudi Arabia, but it's certainly not true of all arab women. Where my dad lives in Abu Dhabi a lot of the women are like that but definitely not all. Some are absolutely lovely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Escriba)
    I hate to generalise BUT...

In my experience they give the dirtiest looks when they don't even know you! You walk past them in a mall they look you up and down, you walk into a wedding hall and they've got these sneers plastered all over their faces as well as make-up. I'm pretty certain this has NOTHING to do with colour because it's a whole variety of Arabs who I've seen do this and it's annoying not to mention quite rude. Anyone else had similar experiences? Do you think it's just a cultural thing to give a woman you don't know the daggers so to speak?
    My dad is Iraqi and mum is British, I kinda see the difference between to types of people. Not my parents of course but in Englan and the one time I went to Iraq. See, im a girl who loves to play basketball, England ok, iraq not really looked up to almot shamed but hey, they live in primitive times. When women weren't allowed a personality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BoxesAndBangles)
    Yah Arab women like you to be just like them and if you're not a lot of them give you daggers on first look (middle east in general isn't big on self-expression especially if you're quite different) but once you get to know them, like anyone, they're usually very nice, sweet and welcoming.

BTW, I'm not talking about ethnic Arabs who were not brought up/live in Arab countries. I'm only talking about people who were born, bred and still live in Arab countries, and obviously its a generalization but it's a true one.

Quite a few of them are nice; I just wish they didn't have to be so (excuse my French) *****y to start of with!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)
    Goddamnit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by p+i+n+k)
    Actually yeah, emirati women give me such a looks :eek:
    I completely forgot, I had to re-read to post to remember that lol
    I went once to a wedding, I was dressed with long sleeves but a tight black dress (breast covered) and they were showing their boobs and stuff but they still gave me such a looks .... :eek:
    To the point were you actually start to think that you messed your make-up up really bad and have a tear down the back of your dress.

ReputationRep:
    I've only met a few arabs so I can't really make a comment. But it sounds like their similar to Turkish women the wedding hall thing only makes this more likely they generally hang around in cliques and ignore everyone else :P I guess its because everybody has their own seating arrangement lulz no one wants to mingle at a wedding :> well the older people do but never the young ones wait i've just gone off topic :confused:

ReputationRep:
    ...are fit.

ReputationRep:
    To the point were you actually start to think that you messed your make-up up really bad and have a tear down the back of your dress.
    no offense but because my dress was tight? lol
    It was an only women wedding!! and I did not even wear much make up (only eyeliner)
    while they always wear tons of it
    some people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FkaFatima)
    My dad is Iraqi and mum is British, I kinda see the difference between to types of people. Not my parents of course but in Englan and the one time I went to Iraq. See, im a girl who loves to play basketball, England ok, iraq not really looked up to almot shamed but hey, they live in primitive times. When women weren't allowed a personality.
    Erm, speak for your own backwards family, thanks. Not the whole of the Middle East..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by p+i+n+k)
    no offense but because my dress was tight? lol
    It was an only women wedding!! and I did not even wear much make up (only eyeliner)
    while they always wear tons of it
    some people
    None taken! Most of them spray paint their clothes on anyway so no, it's still not justifiable. Maybe they feel threatened by pretty women, even if there are no men around!

ReputationRep:
    I hate to generalise BUT...

In my experience they give the dirtiest looks when they don't even know you! You walk past them in a mall they look you up and down, you walk into a wedding hall and they've got these sneers plastered all over their faces as well as make-up. I'm pretty certain this has NOTHING to do with colour because it's a whole variety of Arabs who I've seen do this and it's annoying not to mention quite rude. Anyone else had similar experiences? Do you think it's just a cultural thing to give a woman you don't know the daggers so to speak?
    If you are English, generally foreign or look like you have come from abroad, women in particular will generally pick up on this and you will subsequently be met with curiosity and defensiveness in equal measure.

they live in primitive times. When women weren't allowed a personality.
    Sorry, but this is just not true.

I don't know what part of Iraq your family is from, but I speak from experience when I say that for a lot of Iraqi families, the women (...and their personalities) dominate and lead the household and the family; pretty much everything they say goes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirRamAlot)
    ...are fit.
    I KNEW some guy would say this!

ReputationRep:
    that's your excuse for not having a personality then? Iraq has a female national basketball team anyway. So perhaps your experiences don't extend to everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirRamAlot)
    ...are fit.
    this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticSkills)
    I've only met a few arabs so I can't really make a comment. But it sounds like their similar to Turkish women the wedding hall thing only makes this more likely they generally hang around in cliques and ignore everyone else :P I guess its because everybody has their own seating arrangement lulz no one wants to mingle at a wedding :> well the older people do but never the young ones wait i've just gone off topic :confused:
    You have!

ReputationRep:
    Are u brown? Arabs look down on the brown people.

ReputationRep:
    I KNEW some guy would say this!
    Sorry, the truth had to be spoken.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsmyname)
    Are you? Strange that you would come to this conclusion above any other (e.g. women are *****y).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsmyname)
    Yes. But like I said, it's got nothing to do with that. Plenty Arabs who are way darker than me give me the same looks.

LOL at the way you said 'THE brown people.'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cybergrad)
    Stop wearing mini skirts and also get a top that at least covers most of your tits.

Why? She should be free to wear whatever the hell she pleases. If it offends the Arabs, why should she care? It's her life, and she's not trying to please them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.