Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Fireph gets serious with SS Watch

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    You don't need a spotter if you bench without collars. I've not benched with collars for months now and when I've failed I've just tilted the bar and watched the plates fall off.

Chalk won't hinder grip at all.

ReputationRep:
    shocking sesion today - gym was packed.
    Squat 20x5, 40x5, 50x5, 60x5 70x5, 90x5, 90x5 (Was going to do 3rd set but saw the time) (Should have been doing 87.5 but no plates were about)
    Pendlay 50x5 50x5 50x5
    OHP 25x5 , 40x5 40x4 40x3 Why cant i get these

ReputationRep:
    squats, ohp, bp, etc. 5x5

deadlifts, 1x5, always mix up your grip, overhand and underhand etc..

i don't suggest doing 3x5 on anything, if you can't do 5x5 on your current weights ,deload by 10-20% and build it back up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nahm sayn?)
    squats, ohp, bp, etc. 5x5

deadlifts, 1x5, always mix up your grip, overhand and underhand etc..

i don't suggest doing 3x5 on anything, if you can't do 5x5 on your current weights ,deload by 10-20% and build it back up.
    Look up SS brah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shawshank)
    Look up SS brah
    don't need to, 5x5 on exercises is what i recommend, 1x5 for dl's.

ReputationRep:
    But what you recommend is stupid.

ReputationRep:
    Yes but Rippletoe, the guy that created the Starting Strength program recommends 3*5 and i bet 99.999% of people would rather listen to him than you...

Some advice would be to not come into a thread where a guy is doing a very well known program for beginners and to tell him to change his lifts because you know better than everyone else in the world...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MHorman)
    Yes but Rippletoe, the guy that created the Starting Strength program recommends 3*5 and i bet 99.999% of people would rather listen to him than you...

Some advice would be to not come into a thread where a guy is doing a very well known program for beginners and to tell him to change his lifts because you know better than everyone else in the world...
    not sure why you gave a percentage, believe it not, but 99.99% of people can be wrong.. i suggested 5x5 based on the Stronglifts 5x5 program I undertook, which was also a beginner's regime.

SL5x5 is just as well known, also for beginners, and has had excellent results for myself, and thousands of over people, so i will give my two cents when and where i want, since you have such an attitude problem, why don't you state the advantages of 3x5 over 5x5, please.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Hasn't the guy at SL 5x5 been lifting for years and has pretty unimpressive lifts?

ReputationRep:
    lol

The amount you need to eat to recover from SS can make you more fat than some people want to be. Solution? Add 2 more sets of each exercise per workout! Science!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burningnun)
    lol

The amount you need to eat to recover from SS can make you more fat than some people want to be. Solution? Add 2 more sets of each exercise per workout! Science!

ReputationRep:
    No way he's Taleb

ReputationRep:
    i know, he hasnt even posted in my blog, and taleb actually knows what hes doing

ReputationRep:
    This makes stronglifts stupid...

ReputationRep:
    This makes stronglifts stupid...
    you've done SS? what are your BP, OHP, DL and SQUAT stats braseph

ReputationRep:
    you've done SS? what are your BP, OHP, DL and SQUAT stats braseph
    Only very briefly. I didn't recover well enough to do it for as long as they recommend (because I didn't gain masses of weight). Think I would have recovered better with 2 extra sets every day?

115/80/250/190 are my raw lifts I think. Might have squatted 195x2 wide stance in 09, but I can't really remember. I was never really concerned about raw squats.

ReputationRep:
    Only very briefly. I didn't recover well enough to do it for as long as they recommend (because I didn't gain masses of weight). Think I would have recovered better with 2 extra sets every day?

115/80/250/190 are my raw lifts I think. Might have squatted 195x2 wide stance in 09, but I can't really remember. I was never really concerned about raw squats.
    5x5, 3 times a week is perfect. how can you fail at SS yet defend it lol, stop giving advice you seem clueless.

ReputationRep:
    5x5, 3 times a week is perfect. how can you fail at SS yet defend it lol, stop giving advice you seem clueless.
    And this is why you believe in a stupid program - because you are in fact stupid yourself. First of all, I never recommended SS in this thread, I just said it was better than Stronglifts, which it is (along with pretty much anything else). Second, I didn't fail at SS, I just didn't do what was necessary to make the program work for as long as it can. There are downsides to SS - if you do eat enough, you gain plenty of fat - and I never said anyone should run it like they say they should. Third, you asked for my lifts without giving your own. Maybe you are as strong or stronger than me since plenty of people are, but I have never met anyone who liked Stronglifts who could even come close to touching my lifts. If you can, post videos because I think it would be quite surprising to most people here. If you can't, and your lifts are really nothing special themselves, why would you bring the subject up? I suppose I answered my own question in the first sentence of this post really.

Nobody thinks a linear 5x5 3 times a week is perfect except you and some guy who started a forum to try and get e-famous based on modifying a decent program to make it less good. Assuming you're different people, you're both idiots.

ReputationRep:
    Monday.
    ****ing hard workout

Squats - 20x5 30x5 40x5 50x5 60x5 70x3 80x1 90x5 90x2(fail) - was considering deloading then got pissed off and said **** it (ie manned up) 90x5 90x5 - the last rep on the last set i was in a different place - felt like crying tbh
    Bench - as i said I dont have a spotter (but next time I bench I will so I tried some db bench at 22.5 each arm, and didnt really like it. Went and bb benched 60x4 60x3 - may have got another rep or two out on both but no spotter so didnt go for them.
    Deadlift 50x5 60x5 70x5 80x3 90x1 105x5 - brutal again, but i love deadlifting - just need to sort my grip out and get some chalk.
    Dips - 8 6 8 - felt easier -- maybe im actually getting stronger?!

May post a pic soon if I can stand in front of my mirror tensing without feeling like a prick

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 1, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.