Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why have all the greatest boxers/rappers in the world embraced Islam? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Boxers and rappers tend to be of relatively low intelligence.

ReputationRep:
    seeing the word 'all' used instead of 'some of' really gets on me tits

ReputationRep:
    They all seen a thread on the interwebs on great/famous people who were Muslim and so converted cos they too can become great/famous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissFanatical)
    seeing the word 'all' used instead of 'some of' really gets on me tits
    Sorry

I meant *some. More so for rappers :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Too many blows to the head?

ReputationRep:
    Because there's a long history of Islam and appropriations of Islam in African-American culture and in black communities generally. Muhammad Ali was hanging with members of the Nation of Islam, Rubin Carter once described his views as himself being god which is in line with some of the interpretations of Nuwaubianism and the Five Percenters. Hopkins became Muslim after leaving prison and it isn't uncommon for black men to convert to Islam in prison when around people who also follow those offshoots of Islam, Tyson was the same. I'm not sure about Eubank and Williams' story.

Wu-Tang all grew up with the Five Percenters, Mos Def's father was part of the Nation of Islam, Lupe was born into a Muslim family like you say, Cube was involved with the Nation. I don't want to go on and on but it's not a rappers and boxers thing, it's something that's developed in black communities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by accesstohe)
    Because Jesus wasn't black.
    Neither is "Muhammed" Though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCC-MGS)
    Because there's a long history of Islam and appropriations of Islam in African-American culture and in black communities generally. Muhammad Ali was hanging with members of the Nation of Islam, Rubin Carter once described his views as himself being god which is in line with some of the interpretations of Nuwaubianism and the Five Percenters. Hopkins became Muslim after leaving prison and it isn't uncommon for black men to convert to Islam in prison when around people who also follow those offshoots of Islam, Tyson was the same. I'm not sure about Eubank and Williams' story.

Wu-Tang all grew up with the Five Percenters, Mos Def's father was part of the Nation of Islam, Lupe was born into a Muslim family like you say, Cube was involved with the Nation. I don't want to go on and on but it's not a rappers and boxers thing, it's something that's developed in black communities.
    I see, thank you, this was along the lines of the responses I was looking for.

ReputationRep:
    Because Jesus wasn't black.
    Muhammad wasn't black either...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-friends)
    I know I saw that, very sweet to be honest and a relief someone said something at that time. Let alone it being someone as big as Muhammad Ali.

I'm not sure about Mike Tyson, because I think he said something about him being a "non- practising Muslim".
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_BaabZGe_Uf...-R/A-tyson.jpg

^That was taken not too long ago. It seems he's fully practising.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missgeorgia)
    Because islam is the best

I think people find guidance and strength in this religion. Its not all about terrorism, wars etc. as is the common misconception these days.
    islam is the best? :rolleyes: You seem to think about islam in a kind of idolatry way. The term "best" to define a religion is quite inmature from your part, don't you think TSR fellow?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCC-MGS)

Yeah this fella's got the right idea.

Also a contributing factor is the conduct of the Churches in Black communities; they do little favours to themselves and their cause and help deter more than they attract.

The presence of the NOI and 5% Nation in those same communities, and the rapport they used to have with the youth saw many convert, and from there quite a few progressed to more traditional Islam, like Malcolm X.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Benammieh)
    Neither is "Muhammed" Though
    Muhammed is merely a prophet - to them anyway. (Y)

ReputationRep:
    Muhammed is merely a prophet - to them anyway. (Y)
    Muhammad I believe is one of the most revered Prophets. Btw Jesus isn't God in Christianity he's highly revered like Muhammad (an arab) in Islam. So i'm not sure what point you were trying to make :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fist of the south star)
    Many of the people you've named are African-americans. They appreciate the equality and diversity Islam promotes and many of them ,coming from under privelleged backgrounds, enjoy the sense of global brotherhood that joining Islam entails.
    This is as good an answer as you will get.

ReputationRep:
    Boxers: spend most of their professional lives having their heads smashed in, causing some fairly significant brain damage (e.g. Muhhamed Ali).

Rappers: spend most of their early and professional lives ingesting a significant and varied amount of drugs, while having their egos constantly massaged.

Is it any wonder they go a bit mental?

Yeah, because given 30 mins I couldnt create a list of successful people who have become atheists.

Edit: Oh look. wikipedia already did it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_atheists

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missgeorgia)
    Because islam is the best

I think people find guidance and strength in this religion. Its not all about terrorism, wars etc. as is the common misconception these days.
    (Original post by fist of the south star)
    Many of the people you've named are African-americans. They appreciate the equality and diversity Islam promotes and many of them ,coming from under privelleged backgrounds, enjoy the sense of global brotherhood that joining Islam entails.
    I agree i'd never really thought of it that way before..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morecambebay)
    Yeah, because given 30 mins I couldnt create a list of successful people who have become atheists.
    Did you even read my OP?

ReputationRep:
    They've had the sense punched out of them.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Joking! Probably due to their culture as they're African-American and will probably have friends or family in the religion

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 27, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.