Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I use the Canon 550D at uni. It's brilliant, but suffers in low light conditions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mike_mike)
    About Canon 550D all I have to say is that..Yes, it has great specification but since you can use it for taking pictures and recording videos too it is not professional so it's just a "no-no" from my point of view.
    The whole point of a camera IS to take pictures/videos. I seriously wonder what you do with your cameras.

I am in favour of the canon 550D I'm buying one myself soonish (upgrading from 350D). Theres not a single negative review about the camera just the kit lens. Being a Canon user I guess I'm slightly biast but I did look at Nikon alternatives when upgrading and borrowed some to actually test myself but found myself prefering the Canon 550D. It is pretty sexy tbf with those curves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammydemon)
    A good argument. Just a couple of point to remember, the F mount has been around since the late 50s and Nikon's 3D Colour Matrix metering is really the creme de la creme of metering; it never goes wrong.

With the body strength I see your point, and I almost bought a D300s for the superior body, but then I thought i'm not gonna bash it around THAT much or go out in torrential rain. So I found a cheap (new) D90 and spent the rest on some good lenses. For example Nikon's 35mm f/1.8 (£160) which is superb and Canon have nothing like it to offer as a general lens.

Edit: Don't forget the better noise handling of the D90 because it doesn't use the pointlessly high Mp sensors.
    The F mount may have been around since the 50's but Nikon screwed around with the physics of the actual mount a lot. I know many older lenses only work in M mode on modern Nikon cameras meaning you have to sort the shutter speed out yourself. As I said in my post, you can not only fit any Canon lens since the late 80's, but many other lenses and get fully automatic shutter speed using Av mode, which is a massive bonus for me. Nikon lenses work so much better on Canon cameras, in fact, that many vintage Nikon lens collectors shoot with a Canon body rather than a Nikon one.

You'd be surprised how much the stronger body has come in useful for me. Mine's almost exactly a year old now and there are scratches and dinks down to the metal all over the body from clunking it on things. Life happens, but I took out a 3 year replacement cover on it which was definitely worth the £100 it cost me (my staff discount at the time gave me around £100 off the price of the 50D so it pretty much covered the cover) to make sure.

I'll give you that Nikon has the superior metering system, but I've learned to live with the quirks of the Canon system and it returns well exposed images 95% of the time. Canon have the 50mm f/1.8 for almost half the price - the build quality is nowhere near that of the Nikon lens but for the price it's more than acceptable.

Noise handling is more than adequate with the 50D. I shoot almost exclusively with fast prime lenses anyway so it's not a big deal. That said, I think we can both agree that if Canon and Nikon both built IS into the bodies that would be a good thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    Seeing if it shoots video or not is an absolutely ridiculous way of considering it professional or not Are you saying that the 60D, 7D and 5D mk2 are all not professional cameras because they shoot video too? By your thinking, my 50D is more professional than a 7D because mine doesn't shoot video :confused:
    There was me not explaining well here. What I meant is that using a camera that takes photographs and records videos too makes you,the photographer, less of a professional one.
    This is an old principle within the industry but it applies in many other domains.
    You have what you want in order to have it so..you should decide if you want to take photographs or record videos.

(Original post by Weloveclover)
    The whole point of a camera IS to take pictures/videos. I seriously wonder what you do with your cameras.

I am in favour of the canon 550D I'm buying one myself soonish (upgrading from 350D). Theres not a single negative review about the camera just the kit lens. Being a Canon user I guess I'm slightly biast but I did look at Nikon alternatives when upgrading and borrowed some to actually test myself but found myself prefering the Canon 550D. It is pretty sexy tbf with those curves.
    Yes, you're right, the whole point of a camera is taking pictures OR videos.
    Chances are that you'll not make both of them above the wished standards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mike_mike)
    Yes, you're right, the whole point of a camera is taking pictures OR videos.
    Chances are that you'll not make both of them above the wished standards.
    I used to think this too until I recently heard that TV adverts are now being shot on Canon 1Ds and they were originally designed for photography. So I guess the developments in sensors is closing the gap. I can't see why putting a video function on a camera is going to make it any worse tbh.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I used to think this too until I recently heard that TV adverts are now being shot on Canon 1Ds and they were originally designed for photography. So I guess the developments in sensors is closing the gap. I can't see why putting a video function on a camera is going to make it any worse tbh.
    Adverts will be shot on the 5D mkii or the 7D. The 1Ds cannot shoot video and the whilst the 1D Mkiii can shoot 1080p, it is generally considered too expensive for video, given that it is not a full frame sensor.

The 5D Mkii is on the BBC's approved list of cameras for full HD broadcast. It was used for an episode of House and has even been used for sections of full motion pictures. Many small production companies use it and the 7D exclusively.

(Original post by Mazzza)
    Haaai,

Having recently become interested in taking pictures, i've decided to upgrade from a compact to a DSLR. Only problem, i'm way out of my depth and no idea what would be good for a beginner in this field..

I'm on a budget of about £400-£600 and have been looking at the Canon 550D, which seems to have a great spec for this price range, but then again i could be wrong.

Any recommendations?
    To the OP, do you really want an SLR? or do you just want more creative control over your photography? With your budget I suggest you look at the Panasonic GF-1 and the Olympus PEN systems first, they are far easier to carry around and offer the same controls as an SLR without the reflex element. Alternatively, look at the Canon G11 or G12, similarly it offers the same manual control, without the bulk.

The camera manufacturers have made a major marketing success story out of convincing almost every member of the public that an SLR is the only camera worth having. I assure you that they are wrong. I'm a photographer, I usually carry a camera with me, in fact it's very rare that I dont, but it sure as **** isn't an SLR.

ReputationRep:
    I've now bought the Sony A390 and played around with it. Picture quality is amazing, the way you change settings is pretty much exactly like a Canon (scroll wheel on the right for shutter, hold button down and scroll for aperture), yet I prefer it, as it's on the front, rather than the top, so you don't have to move your hand as much. (although I would like to see a camera that has 2 separate scroll wheels/a small switch right next to the wheel so you don't have to awkwardly hold a button closer to the back of the camera while reaching for the scroll wheel). My only qualm is the lens it came with. (18-70mm) It's got a larger zoom than the standard lens that comes with most cameras, as most only go up to 55mm. However, the aperture range is too small, so it doesn't do too well in low light conditions. Haven't seen what the range is on a Canon starter pack with a 55mm so not sure if that's any better. Still, it's cheap enough for your budget that you can buy another lens, that has the adjustment you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparkjolt)
    I would like to see a camera that has 2 separate scroll wheels/a small switch right next to the wheel
    Like a Nikon?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparkjolt)
    I've now bought the Sony A390 and played around with it. Picture quality is amazing, the way you change settings is pretty much exactly like a Canon
    you obviously are shooting on ISO 100. I find that sonys biggest pit fall is the noise level. They're great lower down the range but anything middle high is abismale (crap spelling) even worse than my 350D. I sold my first SLR which was a sony a200 for that reason and moved to canon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ReddDraggon)
    Like a Nikon?
    pfft. Didn't even look at Nikons when buying a camera. >.<
    They were in the same price range/spec as Canons, and everyone told me Canon are the better out of the two. I suppose it's personal taste, but that's what my college uses, and that and the Sony was recommended in Jessops.
    Although the guy talking to us had a Canon, so I suppose he might be a bit biased. :P

ReputationRep:
    you obviously are shooting on ISO 100. I find that sonys biggest pit fall is the noise level. They're great lower down the range but anything middle high is abismale (crap spelling) even worse than my 350D. I sold my first SLR which was a sony a200 for that reason and moved to canon.
    Haven't messed around too much with ISO, but I've changed it a little to compensate for the darker conditions, but I found the picture quality fairly clear anyway. I stuck it up to 3200 to, and yeah, that was grainy, but that's the highest ISO it can go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ReddDraggon)
    Like a Nikon?
    *expensive Nikon.

Only the D90 and upwards has separate wheels for aperture and shutter speed. The XXD range and upwards from Canon has the same upside :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    *expensive Nikon.

Only the D90 and upwards has separate wheels for aperture and shutter speed. The XXD range and upwards from Canon has the same upside :rolleyes:
    Slightly off topic but your pics on your flickr are great! and the other one tooo

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend you something like the Nikon D3100. This is a great entry level DSLR - compact, light and coming in at around £400 with a 18-55mm VR kit lens. This will leave you some spare cash for accessories, such as a tripod for your night shots.
    The D3100 has a 14MP sensor and full 1080p HD movie recording, so you would be buying yourself a HD camcorder too!

Go for something like this, and with Nikon you can't put a foot wrong

David

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisBan)
    Slightly off topic but your pics on your flickr are great! and the other one tooo
    Haha thanks, I've forgotten my password for Flickr so I can't upload any more pictures Anyone know how to hack into Flickr?

ReputationRep:
    Haha thanks, I've forgotten my password for Flickr so I can't upload any more pictures Anyone know how to hack into Flickr?
    Ohh no that sucks... they usually require you to set up a second email address on there for you to send a reset to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisBan)
    Ohh no that sucks... they usually require you to set up a second email address on there for you to send a reset to?
    I did - supposedly. The hint for my second email is a gmail address, but 3 characters shorter than the only gmail address I remember ever setting up.

ReputationRep:
    lol @ all the Nikon hate

ReputationRep:
    I would go for a Canon 550d is you can afford it. It's got an excellent video mode as well as being a great DSLR.

If you need something cheaper than a Nikon D40 or Canon 400D are good.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 6, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.