Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do you study/revise for exams ? Watch

I usually make a timetable, then not follow it.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Susant)
      I usually make a timetable, then not follow it.
      is there any other way?

ReputationRep:
      I'm also a bad procrastinator. I have 4 exams the week after january 10th, so I have deactivated my Facebook for some days and switched off my phone (will turn back on on thursday)

But then I found TSR again, this isn't helping. Might delete my account

Edit: Why the neg rep? lmao

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by awais590)
      haha, surprisingly, it works for me, probably 'cause i'm speshul.

Books; Great Expectations + Small Island

Poetry; Alfred Tennyson + Thomas Hardy

what about you?
      Woah, you have a lot to do! guessing we're on different exam boards :L
      I only have The Great Gatsby and Wilfred Owen, although I have two hours to write two essays so I think they're expecting alot
      + most of the textbook is babble to me, worse than my teachers :L

ReputationRep:
      I usually write (almost) everything out again in a separate notebook and keep highlighting it and re-reading over it until I can recite it by heart. I often write out equations for my maths and chemistry syllabuses on paper in a big felt tip pen and stick it on my wall. In fact, my wall is now covered to the point that I can't see my wallpaper anymore!
      And then I just do heaps of practice papers, always under timed conditions.
      This method has never failed me yet

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by professortobe)
      I have the same q myself. Ive got 6 AS exams in January and really have 2 get down 2 work coz Im nowhere near ready for them. Not got a study buddy coz Im doing them distance learning so that i can do 3 A Levels in one year. I need As and Bs so i can meet my ucas offers so any ideas would help.
      My advice to others in a similar position is turn off ur computer, TV, ipod and whatever other gadgets may be lying around your room, clear your desk of rubbish and sit down with your books and past papers and do it the good old fashioned way, just sit and read the material, practice using the past papers, see how uve done and then start all over again! Good luck.
      Maybe we should start a thread 4 those of us with exams in January where we can keep a log of how much revision we have done each day and what results we got on past papers in comparison 2 those we're aiming for?
      Sounds a good idea ...
      Maybe we could have a virtual-study-buddy system: Like you're account to someone with your revisions and vice versa, without them specifically being with you in the same town ... Maybe we could start this in TSR! Anyone interested ?

ReputationRep:
      Procrastination

ReputationRep:
      I have a deja vu. :erm:

ReputationRep:
      After each class I consolidate all my notes-those made before and during class. I condense and consolidate all the key information and make a note of any tips the tutor has given i.e. 'this is on the exam' or 'this is a key area'.

When it comes to actual revision, I do everything by rote-writing it out repeatedly until it is memorised. There are probably better methods but I stick to what I know. Each day I run through in my head what I have memorised to double check that it's all there. Then prior to the exams themselves, I do mock exams so I can apply what I have learnt and also to assess where I am up to i.e. is there anything I have missed or any areas I have particular difficulty with.

Essentially I follow the 7 Ps-Prior preparation and practice prevents piss poor performance.

ReputationRep:
      i've got two coming up in jan. (17th and 20th) but still haven't started revising...just the excitement of coming back home for so long and hanging out with friends has taken over...really need to touch those notes or they are gonna start decomposing soon :|
      for revision i like to read a topic and then basically answer as many questions as i can on that topic

ReputationRep:
      I use mind-maps <3
      I think they're actually really easy to revise from. Also I read "how to pass exams" and I found that it also includes dozens of memory tips as well as tips on creating "perfect" mind-maps- it's great

ReputationRep:
      Get all my books out.
      Sit down, plan what I'm going to revise. Plan, organise, plan, organise. Then think, 'I've done enough for today!'
      Put all my books away.

Repeat.

Really need to start revising, I haven't done anything yet. D':

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by juliewho)
      I only have The Great Gatsby and Wilfred Owen, although I have two hours to write two essays so I think they're expecting alot

Eurgh, tell me about it. fmlfmlfmlfmlfml i'm gonna fail this.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Katq)
      I'm also a bad procrastinator. I have 4 exams the week after january 10th, so I have deactivated my Facebook for some days and switched off my phone (will turn back on on thursday)

But then I found TSR again, this isn't helping. Might delete my account
      LOL I know exactly what you mean. I deactivated my fb, didn't use my phone much and it was ... hello tsr.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by juliewho)
      Textbook? What textbook?
      I'm also doing The Great Gatsby and a selection of WO poems but I'm not aware of any textbook......:confused::confused::confused:

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.