Jessie J - why the big hype about her? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alissasantiago)
    Clearly you know nothing.
    thank you. and i hope to know nothing more of her. or hear about her

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by legendstar)
    thank you. and i hope to know nothing more of her. or hear about her
    too bad she doesn't give a **** about you, or doesn't even know you exist, when she's raking in the money, and is writing for the biggest stars on earth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anabolicminds)
    too bad she doesn't give a **** about you, or doesn't even know you exist, when she's raking in the money, and is writing for the biggest stars on earth.
    vice versa, wasting your time on someone that doesn't know who the f*** you are.
    very clever.

ReputationRep:
    Horrific. She should go back to working the streets or whatever she did beforehand.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    She has a great voice in all the acoustic versions of her songs, and tbh I don't think the UK's had many similar artists to her in a while. I like her anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theorb21)
    How depressing... she sells herself as an air-head sex object, who can't write music for ****... rubbish songwriter. You certainly can't judge her singing until you see her live, because anyone can sound good on a record nowadays. She's just another cycnical marketing scheme, like Gaga or any other "pop" artist. It really is sad to see our generation listening to this talentless stream of disposable music; whatever happened to timelesness... this will be forgotten by next year, and rightly so.

I was listening to Gil Scott-Heron's proto-rap poetry and this just ruined my day.
    Just using Gil as an example... He is a fantastic lyricist, insightful lyricisty (just listen to his political commentary on South Africa apartheid in the song Johannesburg). He WRITES music, composes, plays piano... that's talent.

People don't realise that these "pop" artists have an army of producers and sound engineers behind them. These people tell them what SELLS, and that's the fundamental problem... the concern is money, not MUSIC.

Edit: I'd like to add I'm not a musical snob... I listen to genres spanning jazz, blues, rock, electronic, classical and hip-hop. I'm not narrow minded enough to say one genre is better over another... I merely judge musicians on talent, creativity, originality etc. Unfortunately these "pop" artists lack these attributes, which I consider fundamental to making music.
    People have different reasons for listening to different things. Music is ultimately about the sound, and if it sounds good to someone, then that is what matters. Oh, and if you want evidence of her singing sans-record studio, here you go:

ReputationRep:
    Found this yesterday, for anyone who's interested. It's pretty amazing :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Think she could be quitee big in 2011

ReputationRep:
    vice versa, wasting your time on someone that doesn't know who the f*** you are.
    very clever.
    Well...Yeah, you could say that about any musician you don't know personally, couldn't you? :facepalm::rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    wannabe Nicki Minaj
    How?

noth of them are overly-massive yet (in the UK at least) and they're both just starting to break through.

ReputationRep:
    I've never heard of her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    Found this yesterday, for anyone who's interested. It's pretty amazing :awesome:

ahhh omg just seen this :O, it's exactlyy the same routine I had to learn and teach to my dance class ahha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xTurninggMySwagOnx)
    ahhh omg just seen this :O, it's exactlyy the same routine I had to learn and teach to my dance class ahha
    Ah, really? Did you just copy this one, or did you make up one and it was coincidentally just like this one?

ReputationRep:
    I haven't heard that much of her music and most of that is acoustic stuff. I think her voice is really lovely all laid bare.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why she of all people is seen as THE potentially next big thing but I do like her rehearsal of another song, Whose Laughing Now. It's more rocky than the studio version and sounds better for it IMO.

ReputationRep:
    I can't stand her.

ReputationRep:
    I really like her voice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    Ah, really? Did you just copy this one, or did you make up one and it was coincidentally just like this one?
    Lol yeah sure did, and copied the one in the vid, it was actually quite easy to learn aha but, the one I did had to last for 3 mins, so had to make up some more choreography

ReputationRep:
    Saw her on Jools Holland singing an acoustic song, and thought she was pretty good! To be honest, do it like a dude was nothing like I expected her music to be after seeing that, but it gets in your head, a lot, and it did pretty well chart wise. I personally think she has talent, and also does stuff that fits in to today's charts really well, hence she'd be 'one to watch out for'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xTurninggMySwagOnx)
    Lol yeah sure did, and copied the one in the vid, it was actually quite easy to learn aha but, the one I did had to last for 3 mins, so had to make up some more choreography
    Oh wow, sounds fun . So, are you a dance teacher, or a dance pupil?

I'm quite interested in dance myself, but I've always been quite bad at it . Last time I went to dance classes was in Primary School, and I think I was OK at it :lol:. Perhaps I should try going to classes again to improve? I've been watching these dance videos on Youtube lately, and they really inspire me :banana:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.