Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Did you think the Come Fly with Me racial impersonations were racist? Watch

ReputationRep:
    It wasn't racist. Take it from me - someone who is regularly accused of rolling with the 'PC brigade' :rolleyes:

If anything, its being transmitted (by the BBC, no less) actually demonstrates that no, political correctness has not 'gone mad'.

So to all the closet bigots out there who think they are being clever by making sarcastic comments about ironic depicitons of race and jumping up and down about 'double standards' in what one can and cannot say 'these days' need to STFU and GTFO - we are cleverer than you, hence we aren't bigoted, and we see straight through your poor attempts at taking the moral high ground.

ReputationRep:
    Ach blah blah blah moan moan moan. someone somewhere sitting in a darkened room has no sense of humour ad commissioned this damning report of racism in comedy. Boring!

I'm pretty sure that every other country in the entire world views us as beer-guzzling football hooligans with no culture, bad weather and grumpy old gits, why can't we display Japanese schoolgirls as quite ditzy (which they are) and crazy about fashion (which they are)? Seems a bit.

Fookme and Fookyou the japanese schoolgirls from Austin Powers didn't receive hate-mail from the press i'm sure.
    Just sounds like double standards to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovely_me)
    "Well, Come Fly With Me, can be accused of being racist but it certainly cannot be accused of being funny."

BOOM. :awesome:

lol, i'm muslim and i didn't find that racist at all, just hilarious. :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Not racist, just completely unfunny.

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was hilarious lol, and I think the whole racism issue is being blown wayy out of proportion. I mean come on, it was good Christmas TV andd I wanna know whens it next on?!

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-JxA9Rvs8I

Nuff said.

ReputationRep:
    I think that the japanese girls were the only characters I would describe as 'racist'.

It's hard to make a line in the sand where caricature slips into racism, and I think that's either verging on or just crossed that line.

ReputationRep:
    They took the piss out of a lot of people, not just those of ethnicity.

ReputationRep:
    Of course family guy and the simpsons can portray stupid stereotypes of british people and everyone thinks it's hi-****ing-larious.
    Not that I mind, the tea-drinking, crumpet-eating, cricket-playing britons with big teeth do amuse me in a certain sense; double standards just bother me a little, as well as over-sensitivity. I wonder how many members of the impersonated races were actually offended or if it's just lots of white crusaders who are up in arms....

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but it's mainstream so that's okay.

ReputationRep:
    I don't get why people get so offended by others getting offended? As long as the programme is allowed to air (which it is) and no-one is punished (which they're not) then so what? People are allowed to criticise it if they found it distasteful and others allowed to enjoy it if they found it funny. I doubt the producers thought everyone would like the show.

ReputationRep:
    I watched it and thought it was funny, and I didn't really think it was racist. I think the problem is (at least to me) is that people don't really understand racism, and are so scared of being called racist they'd rather 'throw the first stone' and accuse others.

I remember watching Come Fly with Me and thinking "People are going to find this racist" but whether or not this was because I thought it was racist I don't know, I just think that we're so used now to thinking "someone is going to be offended" at every mention of any culture other than the typical white British one that we automatically think that it must be racist.

For example, at my secondary school, there was, for a few years, only one black teacher. Someone was trying to describe him to another teacher and said "He's the black teacher in the I.T. department." The teacher said "You can't say that, that's racist." Now to me, that seemed like an overreaction, as he is black: surely it was just the equivalent of saying "That person has brown hair" if they do? But obviously the teacher thought it was racist.

Another example. I went to a CofE primary school, and we've just heard that there is a (i think it was) Muslim boy in the school. His mother forbid the teachers from taking him to any of the carol services held by the school, making Christmas cards or being in the nativity. The headteacher called the mother to a meeting and said "Well why on Earth are you in a Christian school? If you feel that way you should leave". Some think this was racist (although I'm not sure that being a Muslim puts you into a different race), but to be honest I'm on her side. It's a Christian School, and if you attend you should expect to go participate in activities that approach the curriculum in a Christian manner.

So, what are your thoughts? Are those 2 examples racist? I'm actually really curious to find out.

ReputationRep:
    i didn't think it was racist at all although the japanese girls thing was a bit mean
    seriously though, the only ones bothered were daily mail people and others obsessed with pc; not blacks, japanese or other minorities so to you guys going on about how ethnic minorities need to lose the inferiority complex: WE WEREN'T EVEN BOTHERED! JUST LAUGHING

ReputationRep:
    get a life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xTurninggMySwagOnx)
    I thought it was hilarious lol, and I think the whole racism issue is being blown wayy out of proportion. I mean come on, it was good Christmas TV andd I wanna know whens it next on?!
    I didn't watch it. . To make make matters worse, i can't watch it online because my speaker has no sound.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vanny17)
    I didn't watch it. . To make make matters worse, i can't watch it online because my speaker has no sound.
    Aww tht sucks:/ I think theres sposed to be another episode tomorrow in the evening or sumting so try watch it then and ahhh when do ya think your gonna get your speakers fixed?! hopee you get 'em fixed soon

ReputationRep:
    What a load of crap. No one really cared, apart from a small handfull of miserable *****. The problem here is the daily mail got a sniff of these complainers and seen an opportunity to print an article and start another race row. It's not the 'pc brigade' that's the problem, it's the daily mail making a mountain out of a mole hill.

"ban this filth" no ban the damn daily mail!

ReputationRep:
    Aww tht sucks:/ I think theres sposed to be another episode tomorrow in the evening or sumting so try watch it then and ahhh when do ya think your gonna get your speakers fixed?! hopee you get 'em fixed soon
    ok, will do. I don't know lol, i am skint at the moment. I went on a software help website, they have been giving me solutions to solve the problem but to no avail. I hope it gets fixed as well, would like to listen to music online lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vanny17)
    ok, will do. I don't know lol, i am skint at the moment. I went on a software help website, they have been giving me solutions to solve the problem but to no avail. I hope it gets fixed as well, would like to listen to music online lol.
    ahaha yeh those websites are rubbish :/ and hmmm yeah can imagine lol i wouldn't be able to live without my music :L okay a lil dramatic but still, you get the picture! You could always try, watchng it on Iplayer with the subtitles?! I know its not nearly as good but probs the next best thing?!

ReputationRep:
    ahaha yeh those websites are rubbish :/ and hmmm yeah can imagine lol i wouldn't be able to live without my music :L okay a lil dramatic but still, you get the picture! You could always try, watchng it on Iplayer with the subtitles?! I know its not nearly as good but probs the next best thing?!
    lol. I know right, i love listening to music, it makes me feel alive lol. I totally get the picture. Thanks for the tip, off to watch it on BBC iplayer now, can't believe i never though of this before. It sure is the next best thing

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 15, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.