Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilyking)
    just as a note:

I heard maths is the most competitive course at imperial.

24 applicants per place

probably similar story with Warwick, although maybe not as high.
    Where does it say 24 applicants per place for maths is a little too vague, which course specifically in maths? And do you have a source for the findings..? cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mir3a)
    Where does it say 24 applicants per place for maths is a little too vague, which course specifically in maths? And do you have a source for the findings..? cheers
    It doesn't say 24 per place because it isn't.

ReputationRep:
    just as a note:

I heard maths is the most competitive course at imperial.

24 applicants per place

probably similar story with Warwick, although maybe not as high.
    I lol'd

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RupertTheBear)
    I lol'd
    I heard wrong, I hate looking like an idiot...

ReputationRep:
    I heard wrong, I hate looking like an idiot...
    I wish it were true, I got an offer from there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    It doesn't say 24 per place because it isn't.
    LOL thats good then :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bzzz)
    Half of the (first-year) accomodation at Warwick is catered
    Nope.

Both Imperial and Warwick are awesome. Both have the necessary business links to give you a fighting chance at many careers. In terms of maths departments I believe they're supposed to be similar so location will be the major factor here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tompazr)
    Nope.

Both Imperial and Warwick are awesome. Both have the necessary business links to give you a fighting chance at many careers. In terms of maths departments I believe they're supposed to be similar so location will be the major factor here.

Exactly. While it could be argued that in general Imperial wins over Warwick in many measures it is certainly not true for Maths, in which Imperial has only fairly recently been considered in the same league as Warwick. That said the MORSE degree is a very different animal from a maths degree. If your strength is maths you should sign up for a MMath degree to give yourself greatest choice.

Of course as has been said before Wwk and Imperial admissions policies are different. Wwk make an offer to anyone who looks like they could make it but their offer, like Cambridge, requires STEP, while Imperial does not.

Finally, to reiterate what has been said already, the differences between Wwk and Imperial as universities, locations and cultures are usually likely to be a more important factor than debates about their reputation. You need to study in a department, university and location in which you will flourish. That's down to your own judgement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tompazr)
    Nope.

I think many of you did not really understand the major concern of the OP. He said he got into both unis and personally prefers Imperial as it is more prestigious. But its high cost is what makes the OP think Imperial is appalling. The OP is International and does not have much money to burn, unlike some of you here who are British and have easy access to finances. In other words, he's main concern was the cost difference between the two universities. He asks: is Imperial's high cost (of tuition and other expenses associated with living in London) justifiable than Warwick's MORSE?

OP, Imperial is a great school. it is world-class and one of the top academic institutions in Europe, especially in science and engineering. it is also one of those what the top employers in the UK consider "core schools" for recruitment. having said that, it is NOT worth more than the MORSE program at Warwick. It does not guarantee a better yield of ROI either. Therefore, prestige in your specific case is superficial.

If Warwick would come out cheaper, I don't see why you won't go there instead. It is a great university, and it has a top maths/MORSE program that the top employers in the UK or Europe want.

As it is a campus university, Warwick has a much better student community feel, as there is cohesion amongst students as they live in the campus and do activities that they sponsor together. Warwick has a thriving student community and as a young student / teenager from outside of the UK, such community would be welcoming and enriching for you, hopefully.

I'd say go to Warwick, study hard, balance your schedules, make some fun, get involved in campus activities, enjoy nature, spend less, make friends there and keep those friends with you for the rest of your life.

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone thank you for throwing your aspects of both universities

However I have decided I will go to Warwick. I just applied for G103 on 8/01/2011 and hope I will get offer for that.
    Reason : -Turns out Imperial's tuition fees alone can cover both tuition and living fees at Warwick (my biggest concern)
    -Warwick also offers more flexible course
    -Its reputation is not inferior to Imperial employers' wise

Most probably I will be firming Warwick G103 and insurancing MORSE. I know it looks weird but I think it's the best option

Thank you everyone again for help me deciding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cazzy-joe)
    However I have decided I will go to Warwick.
    +1

ReputationRep:
    Imperial

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.