Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What sort of birth control to use? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I had loads of problems with trying different pills and in the end I got the implant and it's really good, I completely forget its there and it's one of the most effective contraceptives out there apparently

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DubarryGroom)
    I had loads of problems with trying different pills and in the end I got the implant and it's really good, I completely forget its there and it's one of the most effective contraceptives out there apparently
    does it make you gain weight? the guy Im seeing wants me to go on some form of BC and Ive been refusing to (ill use condoms obviously...) cos Im really paranoid about weight gain

ReputationRep:
    How long have you been on the latest pill? It takes three months for it to settle properly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    does it make you gain weight? the guy Im seeing wants me to go on some form of BC and Ive been refusing to (ill use condoms obviously...) cos Im really paranoid about weight gain
    I don't know, I gained a few pounds but I think it was coincidence because it was the start of the summer holidays so I was eating cooked lunches because I was at home.

I'm to fat to go on the pill.

ReputationRep:
    Implant has been AMAZING for me.
    One "real" period a month after getting it which lasted about 3 weeks, then I've had maybe 2 days total since.. And I got it in in march!
    I get what I can only describe as a light and short, maybe 20 minute, period every month and thats it!
    I think it's because I'm heavier, my skinnier friends get nothing at all.
    It banished my cramps completely.
    Although it is progesterone only so if that's what is disagreeing with you ask your Doc about the non implanon one. There are two brands, implanon which is the one I'm on, and another one that I know nothing about sorry.

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe nobody has mentioned the implant, i'm on my second and i love it. No periods and nothing to worry about for 3 years. I had no side affects except the slight pain after the anaesthetic wore off, my freind claims to have had dizzy spells but she is sucha hypochondriac and is fine now. Definately reccomend the implant.

ReputationRep:
    ive got the implant and i havent put any weight on, if im honest ive lost weight

ReputationRep:
    The implant definately, im on implanon ive had it for 2 years now and its been amazing so any good points -

- dont have to keep worrying about taking pills or going for injections
    - lasts for 3 years
    - can have it taken out at any time
    - very quick and pain-free to get put it
    - it freaks people out when they feel it haha especially boys
    - for the first year and a half i nad no periods at all, now i get them once a month as normal
    - i get a lot less period pain than i used to

ovbiously everyones periods of different but the mojority of people i know with the implant have have good results with their periods and if there is a problem it can be replaced or taken out completely whenever you want

have a little read up online abut different types people here have mentioned plus the other types, go the doctor and discuss different types and you'll find something for you

ReputationRep:
    Well, this thread's convinced me to get the implant.

ReputationRep:
    I heard the implant can cause irregular periods as well, is that a common problem?

ReputationRep:
    Coathanger?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by (:Becca(:)
    I heard the implant can cause irregular periods as well, is that a common problem?
    well i had none for a year and a half then when one came then just came regularly from then on. as said in my previous comment each person is different so if you do chose to get the implant and find your periods are very iregular you can have it taken out and replaced or just removed completely but most people i know don't suffer from iregularity

ReputationRep:
    My sisters had her implant in for over a year and she very rarely gets her period.. If she does though it's really light. I'm always forgetting to take the Pill and I'd rather just go with the implant which mean i won't have to worry about contraception 4 3years

ReputationRep:
    does it make you gain weight? the guy Im seeing wants me to go on some form of BC and Ive been refusing to (ill usecondoms obviously...)cos Im really paranoid about weight gain
    No the only one without weight gain, I tried Yasmin because I had polycystic ovaries and ive never been so ill in my life!! But the implant is great!, no problems whatsoever, I've actually lost weight but I will warn you it can hurt quite a bit xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by (:Becca(:)
    I heard the implant can cause irregular periods as well, is that acommon problem?
    I had mine put in October and had very very little bleeding for a few days 2 months in and I used to be like clock work with my cycle

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 28, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.