Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Incompetent store - includes my email to customer relations Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    General tips: send it in letter form and don't include an e-mail address, because then they have to write back to you and you stand more chance of getting something from them. Never make it seem as if you're not going to return there anyway, but make it clear that you're unsure because then they're more likely to give you vouchers in order to persuade you. And always, always, always stress and exaggerate how unhappy you are with your experience, so something like this:

EDIT: Oh, I've seen you actually have a name - put that in instead of a description, so "... I requested that Jane Doe, who was working on the till, split payment..."
    I would put something along the lines of "I've been a customer of x for nearly ten years and I have never, ever been treated with this much disrespect." They don't want to lose a customer bringing in lots of cash.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1F2R3)
    I would put something along the lines of "I've been a customer of x for nearly ten years and I have never, ever been treated with this much disrespect." They don't want to lose a customer bringing in lots of cash.
    That's also a good thing to do - there are elements of it in my draft, but definitely stress this as well. But still, always leave your position as having had your confidence in that shop shaken and wary over returning again, not, "I wouldn't come back if you paid me!" because, if you say that, they already think you're a lost cause and make no effort, whereas they will to keep a customer and stop them from passing around bad experiences (word of mouth is a powerful tool... )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lesbionic)
    I'm glad people on here understand. I will name and shame the shop in question -

it's GAP

I hope it doesn't look like I invented all the facts - the sequence of events is quite complicated to be invented - I hope they do something. See, I sent the letter t customer relations - should I send a copy to the store itself and name and shame the girl? I'm just a bit worried about doing that, because while I am still fuming, I don't think she deserves to lose her job over it. I am more concerned with my own loss.
    She won't lose her job, but she would get a telling off and maybe a warning. Write to them.

What she should have done was taken the cash payment first. That way, only the correct amount is deducted from the card, as calculated by the till. This is how we do it at work.

ReputationRep:
    That's also a good thing to do - there are elements of it in my draft, but definitely stress this as well. But still, always leave your position as having had your confidence in that shop shaken and wary over returning again, not, "I wouldn't come back if you paid me!" because, if you say that, they already think you're a lost cause and make no effort, whereas they will to keep a customer and stop them from passing around bad experiences (word of mouth is a powerful tool... )
    Couldn't agree more :sexface:

Was probably an xmas temp who hadn't been trained properly =/

ReputationRep:
      Hard luck, OP.

If this happened to me, I would be just as mad.

ReputationRep:
      General tips: send it in letter form and don't include an e-mail address, because then they have to write back to you and you stand more chance of getting something from them. Never make it seem as if you're not going to return there anyway, but make it clear that you're unsure because then they're more likely to give you vouchers in order to persuade you. And always, always, always stress and exaggerate how unhappy you are with your experience, so something like this:

Spoiler:
      Show
      Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing to bring an experience I had on 26th December 2010 in your (town name) shop to your attention.

I attempted to make a purchase of a total of £102; however, only having £50 on my Mastercard Cashcard, I requested that the assisant on the till (would be helpful if you could describe said employee, so the company can address problems with her - even something like "A short woman with bright blue hair" would do) split payment between card and cash. However, she did not do this and attempted to charge the full £102 to my card which, rather predictably, resulted in the transaction being denied and embarrassment for myself as I removed several of my items.

However, it was then realised by myself that the assistant had attempted to charge £102 to my card and, when I pointed this out, she then agreed to make a second attempt; in the confusion over the source of the problem, with her trying to blame me, several of my original items were left out, resulting in a second attempt of £27 being charged on my card.

At the beginning, I had presented my student discount card in order to get a 10% discount, and the assistant had acknowledged and agreed to include this. However, she failed to remember to do so and charged the full £27 on my card; when she realised this, she rather hurriedly proceeded to return the items in order to make a third attempt, with discount included. In this rush, she failed to listen to my instructions to not do that, because it would take several days for the money to be refunded to my card.

This left me with just £23, and when she tried again to charge my card the correct amount, the transaction was declined. I did not have the money to purchase my desired items; I left the shop humiliated at having to return my goods in front of other customers and employees, and empty-handed after having spent money to travel there.

This already extremely distressing and unpleasant experience was worsened by the assistant's attitude - she made a scene in front of other customers when my card was declined, which further embarrassed me; she was also visibly irritated with me as a queue was building up, which I feel is highly inappropriate seeing as her incompetence was the source of the problem. This is not the behaviour I have come to expect from people at (company).

After this experience, my attitude towards (company) has changed; I was previously a loyal customer and valued the quality of your products, but having suffered this indignity, I am left dubious about the standards at (company) and unsure over whether to return.

I would be most appreciative of you looking into this matter and addressing the problems that I encountered so that I and people I have discussed this experience with might have our confidence in (company) restored, and look forward to hearing your reply.

Yours faithfully,

(name.)

Seriously, I've used pretty much this format (it could perhaps do with being shorter, but at the same time you need to describe what happened) and got companies to actually give me money back for things that were my fault, so I know it does work.

Good luck.

EDIT: Oh, I've seen you actually have a name - put that in instead of a description, so "... I requested that Jane Doe, who was working on the till, split payment..."

And I'd always start with sending it to the actual shop, then higher up in the company is nothing is done, or it is not resolved to your satisfaction.
      Thank you so much, it's perfect! I've used your template and I'm posting it tomorrow!! I also included my receipts!

ReputationRep:
      Thank you so much, it's perfect! I've used your template and I'm posting it tomorrow!! I also included my receipts!
      You're welcome. Hope it works out to your satisfaction - that really is no way for any shop to behave.

ReputationRep:
      You're welcome. Hope it works out to your satisfaction - that really is no way for any shop to behave.

Have you sent in similar letters before? What happened? Did the store manager personally reply?

ReputationRep:
      Have you sent in similar letters before? What happened? Did the store manager personally reply?
      I have, yes - generally, they work out quite well, the key is sounding confident in what you're saying and (like I say) stressing how dismayed you are. Here's one that I sent quite recently, actually:

Spoiler:
      Show
      Dear sir/madam,

Today, I had an unusual experience of the incompetency of (company). I would like to tell you about it.

I live in X, and a good friend lives in Y. Because the appalling X to Y schedule sees her having to leave at 1500 hours in order to catch the bus to get back home, I do not get to see her very often or for very long; regardless, because it has been some time since we last met, we made arrangements to do so today (14th December 2010.) I cleared important arrangements, took a day off and waited in for my friend’s imminent arrival at approximately 1100 hours.

Imagine my reaction when, at approximately 1015 hours, I get a telephone call from my friend. She was at home in Y, informing me that the number 3 bus failed to collect her from the nearby stop at (her road) at its scheduled time of 0945 hours. In spite of being parked in nearby (another road) prior to this time and the driver being able to clearly see my friend and another potential passenger waiting, he chose to drive past the designated bus stop, failing to collect the passengers in doing so. My friend informs me that this particular bus driver has failed to collect passengers at (her road) before.

My reaction was that of dismay – as I informed you, I have rescheduled other, important engagements and waited in for my friend, and with this turn of events my plans were scuppered. Not only did your bus driver rob me of a rare chance to meet with my friend, he also led to my wasting of today, as by the time I knew my friend would be unable to get to X for any reasonable amount of time today (the next bus would get her here at approximately 1300 hours, leaving us with only two hours together,) it was too late to proceed with my original plans. This was the same for her, as she had also rearranged prior engagements.

Do you have any proposals on how to compensate both my friend and myself for this? I’d certainly be interested to hear them if you do, as I’m sure would she.

Yours faithfully,

(My name).

That was to a bus company, and got a reply from the manager to customer services, with assurances that the matter had been investigated, the driver retrained and, in order to apologise for the inconvenience, several complementary tickets.

ReputationRep:
      Is it really worth getting that staff member fired because she made a completely valid mistake and was having a bad day in a very busy, stressful (clearance, I assume) store? You didn't get some trousers! I'm sure it was world-destroying, and worth possibly ruining someone's life for!

*sticks up for my retail mandem*

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by AskMeAnything)
      Is it really worth getting that staff member fired because she made a completely valid mistake and was having a bad day in a very busy, stressful (clearance, I assume) store? You didn't get some trousers! I'm sure it was world-destroying, and worth possibly ruining someone's life for!

*sticks up for my retail mandem*
      She won't get fired - she'll just get a telling off.

She'll get barely anything if you don't just talk to her immediate superior.

ReputationRep:
        And you know this how?

Maybe she's got young kids to feed. Maybe she had another complaint on the same day that combined get her fired! Maybe that particular manager is trying to keep the complaints level down.

This is talking from a complete point of neutrality; I don't know if any of that stuff is true. But what I do know is that you not having some trousers and hunting for free gifts from a company at the expense of this woman who was having a bad day at her job during clearance, one of the most stressful times of the year for retail employees just doesn't seem like the right thing to do.

ReputationRep:
        And you know this how?

Maybe she's got young kids to feed. Maybe she had another complaint on the same day that combined get her fired! Maybe that particular manager is trying to keep the complaints level down.

This is talking from a complete point of neutrality; I don't know if any of that stuff is true. But what I do know is that you not having some trousers and hunting for free gifts from a company at the expense of this woman who was having a bad day at her job during clearance, one of the most stressful times of the year for retail employees just doesn't seem like the right thing to do.
        Then maybe she'll learn.

Then maybe she'll learn.
          You've never worked in retail then. It's easy to forget that there are humans on both sides of the counter. Funny how you hate people for being on the dole but you also hate people who work hard and have a bad day.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by FXX)
          You've never worked in retail then. It's easy to forget that there are humans on both sides of the counter. Funny how you hate people for being on the dole but you also hate people who work hard and have a bad day.
          I've never said I hate people for being on the dole. Nor do I hate them for working hard or having a bad day, but if steps aren't taken to correct that, then where are we?

And I have, actually.

ReputationRep:
          Then maybe she'll learn.
          Have you ever worked in retail? This is the first/second day of clearance - it's literally about the most horrible environment to work in. Every customer just wants discounted **** and they don't care about the staff one iota. Every stand is being torn to shreds. The ques at the till are half an hour and EVERY SINGLE CUSTOMER complains.

Now we look at the OP's situation;

The staff member made a mistake about the part charging her card. from then on, how was the staff member to know that the OP had a crappy 'charge card' which she only had £50 on? She went ahead with the refund because the vast majority of card transactions in shops these days are instantaneous with the bank. Meanwhile, behind this woman the que is building to mammoth proportions and she says 'HAS MY CARD REALLY BEEN REJECTED?'. No I was lying to you, it hasn't at all... I think I would turn the screen around on her if I was stressed or tired.

Moving on from that, the staff member will learn? And the above is a good enough reason to end her employment, seriously? It's awfully hard to get a job these days, you're practically guaranteed no chance if you've been fired! Let's face it, OP is just hunting for some free **** from a company that she feels she 'deserves' at the possible expense of someone's livelihood.

ReputationRep:
          Have you ever worked in retail? This is the first/second day of clearance - it's literally about the most horrible environment to work in. Every customer just wants discounted **** and they don't care about the staff one iota. Every stand is being torn to shreds. The ques at the till are half an hour and EVERY SINGLE CUSTOMER complains.

Now we look at the OP's situation;

The staff member made a mistake about the part charging her card. from then on, how was the staff member to know that the OP had a crappy 'charge card' which she only had £50 on? She went ahead with the refund because the vast majority of card transactions in shops these days are instantaneous with the bank. Meanwhile, behind this woman the que is building to mammoth proportions and she says 'HAS MY CARD REALLY BEEN REJECTED?'. No I was lying to you, it hasn't at all... I think I would turn the screen around on her if I was stressed or tired.

Moving on from that, the staff member will learn? And the above is a good enough reason to end her employment, seriously? It's awfully hard to get a job these days, you're practically guaranteed no chance if you've been fired! Let's face it, OP is just hunting for some free **** from a company that she feels she 'deserves' at the possible expense of someone's livelihood.
          Oh go and get laid you silly cow. I bet you didn't even read my post. And stop going on about 'clearance' this and 'clearance' that - the purchases I intended to make were all full priced items.

Stop excusing bad service, it's unacceptable - the assistant must have been REALLY stupid (and I know there are some thick people working in clothes stores) to persistently NOT listen to my instructions.

ReputationRep:
          If you say you will never shop there again then it is not worth their while doing anything about it as it's too late for them to retain your custom. If you are hoping for some kind of compensation then you need them to think that you are prepared to give them another chance.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        What newspaper do you read/prefer?
        Useful resources
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.