Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

People - how long into a relationship would you ideally like to get married? Watch

I'd like to have kids one day, I dont think much about it because my career is first. I can't imagine having a child living off benefits.

ReputationRep:
    honestly? Women are only in relationships to get money or power. So never for me

ReputationRep:
    I've been through the whole sleeping around phase, liked it but I'm much happier in a relationship. I'd happily get married now if my girlfriend was up for it, haha. Call it naive if you want but I can see myself being with her the rest of my life but obviously I'd happily wait a bit to make it seem less "you're so young and naive and you're not ready for it" etc. etc.

ReputationRep:
    I met my husband when I was 22 and he was 24 (October 2006). We got married when I was 25 and he was 28, in March 2010. By then we had been living together for 2 years 9 months, which I think is really necessary before marrying somebody. I would have never agreed to marry him if we hadn't been living together for a good long while!

ReputationRep:
    4-5 years.

But I never want to get married sooo...

ReputationRep:
    I can take or leave marriage, being in a good relationship in the first place is more important to me, and I'm not fussed about having a wedding so it's not something I'd put a time scale to. If I was to get married, I wouldn't even consider it without living with the person first

ReputationRep:
    The idea that most girls want to have kids when they're around 25 is scary enough - who wants to have kids that young? I'm only 21, but 4 years down the line would be way too soon for me! I won't finish uni until I'm 23, then I need to get a job so I can get a house with my boyfriend. We've been together for 3 years, but I can't see marriage happening until I'm over 25.

Although my boyfriend is 4 years older than me, and it I want kids in my late 20s, that would make him mid 30s which he's not to keen on. We'll just have to wait and see, personally I don't think mid 30s is that old to be having a kid.

ReputationRep:
    Don't see the point in marriage and don't enjoy most weddings.

ReputationRep:
    After 2 or 3 years. I used to think I'd want to be with someone at least a couple of years before getting engaged, but seeing as I'm getting on a bit (21 now and with no romantic history/potential whatsoever!), I think I'd settle for knowing someone for a year or so! I'd want to be engaged for about a year before getting married, wedding planning time Depending on what age I end up tying the knot, I'd want kids a year or two later.

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to have kids until I'm about 30. Give or take a couple of years depending on my situation. I'd like to live with my partner for about a year before we plan to get married and it'd be nice to be married before I have kids Just before is acceptable So I guess I got a good few years yet

ReputationRep:
    i reckon once you are over 18....any relationship that lasts for 3yrs+ and marrage is on the cards

ReputationRep:
    ive been with my fiance just over 2yrs and we plan to marry spring of 2013, just before my 22nd bday. he'll be 28. we plan on starting a family when I'm 23

ReputationRep:
    Ive been with my other half for 5 years now and Im sure hes the person I want to spend my life with hence getting married to him in the summer.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 29, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.