Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can you tolerate backseat drivers? Watch

ReputationRep:
    When I was learning to drive, my mum drove down to college on the provisio that I would drive home. My friend needed a lift too, so I said we could go, but I'd need to concentrate so I'd be pretty quiet.
    I got up to the traffic lights and started on about my 'bad habits', bear in mind that she was nowhere near doing her test, and I was test ready ¬_¬ She bloody indicates for her dad when in the front seat, too! I'd kill anyone who did that to me.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I don't mind it! If someone has something to say, I'll listen and consider it then decide if I agree or not. No-one's the perfect driver, and the well-meaning advice might actually be helpful. If I don't agree, then I just explain why and get on with it.

ReputationRep:
    My Dad's pretty good - he usually tends to stay quiet and if he's got a serious problem about something he'll bring it up later once we're home. Mum, on the other hand, Jesus Christ. She's another one of those drivers that are convinced that a thin layer of snow means that anyone who drives in it will crash and burn. She constantly bugs me about being too close to the car in front or going too fast - which is rich when she's one of those drivers who speed up to junctions and slam on the brakes at the last possible moment.

ReputationRep:
    I hate back seat drivers! They makes me so mad and I think it's so rude for someone to criticize your every move when you're giving them a lift and driving perfectly safely. I've found that the worst back seat drivers are those who can't drive, are learning to drive or are nervous drivers. It's even worse when it's my family, they always think they know best and will not be disagreed with. My aunt learnt to drive 40 years ago and is a very nervous driver, yet when I was learning to drive she corrected me constantly about the smallest things and she is so over-cautious about driving in snow/to unknown places/on motorways, the list is endless. But by far the worst is my 15 year old brother! I once (temporarily) stopped my car and he took it out of gear and put my handbrake on when I was talking to someone out of my window! Fuming doesn't even cover how mad I was.

ReputationRep:
    My mom and my 2 brothers are the annoying backseat drivers.
    When im driving my 2 brothers will put on their seatbelt and will hold on to the car door pretending they are scared to death when i start the engine, and my mom always tells me to not drive too fast and she always tells me negative stuff when im driving whilst my brothers just laugh at me in the backseat. :stomp:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    My Dad's pretty good - he usually tends to stay quiet and if he's got a serious problem about something he'll bring it up later once we're home. Mum, on the other hand, Jesus Christ. She's another one of those drivers that are convinced that a thin layer of snow means that anyone who drives in it will crash and burn. She constantly bugs me about being too close to the car in front or going too fast - which is rich when she's one of those drivers who speed up to junctions and slam on the brakes at the last possible moment.
    Exactly the same here... I feel your pain!

And my Mum's car is the one with the car park dings and the kerbed wheels, while mine is pristene!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachelll=))
    If you mean 'backseat driver' as in someone who tells you that you are going too slow, missed a space, your style of driving is wrong, then yes I agree they are very annoying and I would tell them to either shut up or get out my car.

However, if the driver is going to fast or being completely reckless, then I have no problem with it. If you call those type of people 'backseat drivers' then I guess I'm one
    Im like that- backseat drivers can be really annoying when they are telling you you are going too slow/your driving style is wrong/your gear changing isnt right etc. I usually end up saying something. If im genuinely doing something wrong then i dont mind them saying something but if im not- it really gets annoying.

ReputationRep:
    Only one person i struggle with, my mother was horrendous when i first passed, then twigged if she shut up i knew what i was doing.

The other person who is a backseat driver, I just insured her on the car instead. And laugh at her when she can't get my car into 5th, so she stopped. But tbf i am horrendous as a passenger, i check blind spots, brake, but never say anything about the driver.

ReputationRep:
    No. Biggest pet peeve EVER. "OMG TURN THERE, TURN RIGHT, RIGHT!!!!!" And it's on the left.

ReputationRep:
    Argh!!!! backseat drivers!!! i'm only learning and they already annoy me... I've decided, once I get a car i'll be haveing a backseat driving cup (similar to a swear box- a quid for every occurrence)
    Jack

ReputationRep:
    my friend is the worst. she hasn't passed yet.. failed one test yet she likes to tell me what i'm doing wrong all the time. she criticises my parking and says i'm going too fast or too slow. but the worst is, if she doesn't think i've indicated in enough time she'll flick the indicator on for me! arggh. SO annoying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by losingtouch.)
    my friend is the worst. she hasn't passed yet.. failed one test yet she likes to tell me what i'm doing wrong all the time. she criticises my parking and says i'm going too fast or too slow. but the worst is, if she doesn't think i've indicated in enough time she'll flick the indicator on for me! arggh. SO annoying.
    If my friend did that to me once it would be the last time - so rude! Seriously, if you put up with it she will continue. Next time pull the car over and ask her if she wants to walk.

ReputationRep:
    Ugh sounds horrible, but try having backseat pilots.... you can't just pull up and tell them to get out, and unfortunately pushing them out in the air is out of the question.... the only option is scaring the **** out of them

ReputationRep:
    No, that's the worst! Definitely one of my biggest pet peeves.

ReputationRep:
    Considering that I can't drive and I'm not stupid enough to piss off somebody who basically has my life in their hands at that moment? No way am I a backseat driver. I've never really had the need to criticize either.. However and to be fair, even when they were driving too fast, I'd normally be sitting by them and telling them to go faster. I made a promise not to do that sort of **** anymore though, so if I am in a car and dangerous driving like that does happen, I probably will say something. But for tiny little things that don't really endanger my life? I'll keep my mouth shut and just be grateful for the ride.

ReputationRep:
    What I can't tolerate is when the person driving lectures you about how to drive. Especially if they're **** at it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a backseat driver tbh but when i'm in control it's of a motorbike so there's no passengers and if there is i can't hear what they're screaming about anyway...

Something about"I'm falling off, stop or i'm going to die"...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 11, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.