Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

science fiction and fantasy are garbage. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poster child)
    i hope you grow up one day and learn to appreciate good literature.
    Lol, I can almost 100% guarantee that I appreciate good literature more than you do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent)
    Lol, I can almost 100% guarantee that I appreciate good literature more than you do.
    from the fact that you sympathize with / admit to liking fantasy and sci-fi I'd have to 100% guarantee that you're wrong.

ReputationRep:
    the only pseudo-intellectual here is you. i know a lot more than you, as evidenced by me being right and you being wrong.

I happen to have flicked through some of his stuff. it's really not that great. at all.
    1)People read for fun, the great novels are generally hard to read and do not lend themselves to be read easily whenever you want.
    2) I'm not going to take literary advice from someone who doesn't even use capital letters.
    3) Critics do rate some fantasy and science fiction highly.

ReputationRep:
    Meh name some of your favourite books then OP.

ReputationRep:
    from the fact that you sympathize with / admit to liking fantasy and sci-fi I'd have to 100% guarantee that you're wrong.
    If you actually read my post properly you'll see that I said I liked about 5 books/authors in both genres together, and I prefer things like classic fiction, history and travel writing. Doesn't mean SF/Fantasy is 'garbage' though, because it isn't.

ReputationRep:
    Trololo.

Everyone is different. I love fantasy, and I don't think it's 'rubbish.' There are good fantasy books, and there are bad ones.

ReputationRep:
    Hear that Tolkein?

ReputationRep:
    oh my... they are already proving my point for me.
    That's good then. Case closed.

ReputationRep:
    Bad troll is bad.

Karen Miller is one of my favourite fantasy authors though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luceria)
    Trololo.

Everyone is different. I love fantasy, and I don't think it's 'rubbish.' There are good fantasy books, and there are bad ones.
    the good ones aren't harry potter, that's for sure. you also like muse so I won't be taking your opinion on anything seriously any time soon.

(Original post by missygeorgia)
    Hear that Tolkein?
    you can't even spell his name.

(Original post by Sammydemon)
    That's good then. Case closed.
    doesn't work like that.

ReputationRep:
    Heh, bad troll.

ReputationRep:
    Preferences are subjective.

And considering it is a very popular genre, there must be a lot of people who disagree with you and don't think it's garbage.

ReputationRep:
    I think this is all some sort of joke on fantasy and troll.

ReputationRep:
    you can't even spell his name.
    ****, you're right. I'd better shape up- soon my spelling will be as bad as your grammar.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you just stop trolling on and go and read some of those superb authors that people have suggested?

This is opposed to blindly ignoring good sci-fi/fantasy authors who might actually change your opinion.

ReputationRep:
    firstly troll.

secondly, China Mieville (especially in terms of writing)/Douglas Adams/Margaret Atwood/Isaac Asimov/Aldous Huxely are all fantastic SF writers. science fiction allows the greatest retrospection, of the world/society/whatever in terms of genres.

thirdly, define 'fantasy'? anything with fantastical elements in it? then you can throw away A Midsummer's Night Dream, The Picture of Dorian Gray etc...

basically, OP, you are wrong :fyi:

ReputationRep:
    it's trash. garbage. unholy filth for philistines. why do we tolerate the readers of this tripe?

99% of it is poorly written and the other 1% is nothing compared to the quality of writing you get from literary authors. fantasy and sci-fi readers don't even deserve the title of "readers" - sci-fi and fantasy require the reading level of a 5 year old child. if you think it makes you better, smarter or more cultured than people who watch garbage like reality TV then you're wrong; it's the same variety of easy-to-swallow nonsense for a generation of people unwilling to engage their dumb minds and put a little effort into what they do on a day-to-day basis.

most fantasy and sci-fi writers are objectively terrible and the critics agree with me. if the thought that just came into your mind is "taste is subjective" then you're wrong and you should kill yourself.

if you willingly buy, read and support the dreck then you support the death of literature. thanks for reading.
    Seems like you don't know much about fantasy and sci fiction.:rolleyes: You are one of those INTELLIGENT people who think hip hop is all about Eminem and 50 Cent...:rolleyes: I won't say anything else...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.