Degrees are awarded with the following
      classifications: First Class Honours,
      Second Class Honours (divided into
      Upper Division and Lower Division),
      Third Class Honours and Pass.
      Pass meaning without honours.

On their website it states:
      (Original post by Their website)
      If you do not qualify for Honours, you may be awarded a Pass classification.
      Does it say anywhere that you are eligible for honours if you study via distance learning? The bit you quoted isnt specific...it is a general statement.

Maybe you will be eligible, but thats the thing about them, they like to be coy with facts.

ReputationRep:
      I completed the Economics and Mathematics BSc this year with the Open University so I think I can answer your question.

One of the reasons that the first few modules are different is that the initial starting point for Open University students is different. Most full time universities (and possibly the UoL external scheme) have entrance requirements and expect that their students have studied some areas before. Nearly all full time universities also assume that their students have studied recently.

The Open University cannot make these assumptions, as it is possible for someone who has been out of education for a very long time to enrol on a Level 1 course. It is also possible that the student has not been taught the skills required for the course at all. Therefore before teaching the more complex theories a good framework is required.

For A-Levels I studied Maths, Physics and French. I also did AS Level Electronics. After A-Levels I studied Engineering for a while, but for various reasons it did not go as I planned. I then started working in financial services. After a few years I decided that if I wanted to progress in my career that I should complete a degree. I chose Economics and Mathematical Science. Partly due to an interesting in Economics (and the obvious career relevance) and partly because I knew that at Levels 2 and 3 the mathematics from Engineering would be useful.

When I started however I knew that I had not written a proper essay since GSCE history, and I cannot really dive straight into an economics course without some tuition and practice of essay writing.

The Open University realises this so had a course called 'Introducing the social sciences - part one'. This course did cover some areas that were covered in more detail in later courses, but the main aim was not this. The main aim was to teach how to read, make notes, and construct arguments in the social sciences.

Same with the mathematics courses. Some students may not have studied maths past GCSE, or maybe they did but the terminology and methods taught have slightly changed (which for older students could be an issue).

So level 1 courses at the Open University are there as an introduction to study as well as covering some of the basic areas. Note that the marks from these courses do not count towards degree grading, but you must do the required courses for the points.

Level 2 and 3 are where the courses go deeper into the subject. The Level 2 courses I took were as follows:

DD202 Economics and economic change
      BM240 Quantitative methods in business
      D319 Understanding economic behaviour: households, firms and markets
      MST209 Mathematical methods and models
      MT365 Graphs, networks and design
      M346 Linear statistical modelling
      M343 Applications of probability

Now looking at the module list you have posted all the subject areas are in there somewhere. The list above contains some discontinued courses, however the stats would be covered in M248 - Analysing Data and then taken further in the required course on linear statistical modelling. Advanced calculus is covered in Mathematical Methods and Models, however you can also chose a Pure Mathematics module if you wish.

The Level 2 Economics course covers both micro and macro economics, The Level 3 course covers micro in more detail. There is also an option 'A world of who's making' that covers more macro ideas. However I would say that the Economics Degree is more 'micro-economics' with befits the fact that it is Economics and Mathematics.

I am going on a bit now so if you have any questions please ask. Time for me to welcome in the new year.

ReputationRep:
      Also, it's important to remember that OU level 1 study is equivalent to only half a year full time study. It's not like you spend a third of your study time meddling with A level material and below. There really isn't a large difference in the scheme of things. Besides most red brick universities will review the elementary aspects of your respective subjects in your first year.

I also noticed the different module naming scheme, and it threw me off a little at first. But, its got to do with the way the different departments teach their subjects. At a red brick university, the computer science department may teach some of their own math courses, but with the OU you would do all your math courses issued through the math department. I'd say that there would be pros and cons to both ways but in the end you're going to end up with similar if not the same knowledge anyway.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.