Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is mainstream/hollywood cinema declining in quality? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure it's declining. As others have said, there has always been more bad films than good, but generally mainstream cinema doesn't have a great deal of appeal to me. That's not because I think it's bad, but I tend to dislike the stories told and the manner in which they are told.

I think that there's a lack of diversity when it comes to the films being shown at the big cinemas. I would like to see more foreign films shown, but alas they will not make as much money, so I understand it from a business perspective. I'm clearly just a hopeless romantic that values art over money.

ReputationRep:
    It's always like that around Christmas until a couple of weeks after when the Academy Award nominees are released

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alharrison4)
    Apparently things have got worse because of the economic downturn. Directors don't want to take risks with anything new and exploratory. 2011 is predicted to be 'the year of the sequel'.
    Studios might not want to take risks. Creative directors don't really give a toss.

(Original post by Diaz89)
    The most overrated film by the most pretentious director ever.
    Nolan is the most pretentious director ever? Do you honestly believe that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maljebo)
    Oh hi, Mark!

Let's play toss the ball around.

ReputationRep:
    No, Cinema has been the same, the rubbish becomes forgotten while the gems endure. Same argument can be applied to music, games, TV and history in general.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I think it started going downhill with "independence day" and reached rock bottom with the indispensibles or whatever that 2 hour trailer was called. There are still good films around, they're just fewer and farther between, and overwhelmed by all the action hero rubbish, remakes of remakes, stupid comedies, and mindless chick flicks.

The effect this has is now whenever we get a half decent film like "No Country for Old Men" everyone thinks its the greatest thing they've ever seen, whereas in truth hollywood used to churn out films of that quality every month back in the 70s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alharrison4)
    Apparently things have got worse because of the economic downturn. Directors don't want to take risks with anything new and exploratory. 2011 is predicted to be 'the year of the sequel'.
    Historically, audiences at cinemas actually rise during economic downturn/depression. So as far as box office takings go at least, directors, or more to the point the production company, really shouldn't be put off by that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hogso)
    Historically, audiences at cinemas actually rise during economic downturn/depression. So as far as box office takings go at least, directors, or more to the point the production company, really shouldn't be put off by that.
    That makes sense. I guess a lot of people could go for something escapist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    Nolan is the most pretentious director ever? Do you honestly believe that?
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hogso)
    Yup, true - audiences that are depressed or down because of their economic situation may be more likely to go watch some fantasy or action epic for the escapism and for a bit of entertainment, films are great for forgetting about the real world for an hour and a half or two

ReputationRep:
    How about no

The most overrated film by the most pretentious director ever.

I haven't seen a decent Hollywood film since There Will be Blood, mind you Kick Ass was surprisingly awesome too.
    I disagree, it was the first time in a long time I went to the cinema and actually had to use my brain. I was tired of going to the cinema and sitting there challenging the film to entertain me. I thought it was brilliant, time was actually taken to make a decent film, real thought was put into it, when a lot of time is invested into a film, where it's actually constructed well, people get excited. It's your opinion, but it has been the best film out in a long while.

ReputationRep:
    Yes
    Why do you think that? What about his style do you think is pretentious, to a greater extent than his peers?

I personally think anyone who makes films that merit both critical acclaim and box office success by definition cannot be accused of pretension.

ReputationRep:
    No, absolutely not.

There always has been and probably always will be a mountain of lesser material that gets produced for every one great film. It's how studios keep the books in the black. As successful as some top-end films may be, there's only so much top talent in the film world and it's not possible to get enough people of that calibre to create enough movies to keep studios solvent in between major releases.

Also, studios may want to test out new directors on low-risk lowest-common-denominator products first before letting them take the reins of hundreds of millions of dollars worth of funding and thousands of cast and crew in a major production. Nobody goes straight from making home movies to Citizen Kane, even if they have the intellect and imagination to create a film of such quality.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.