The Student Room Group

Poll: Would you rather live in a city or village?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Luceria
That's the good thing about living in Norway. Stunning nature is usually only 5 minutes away. The population is only 4,9 million, cities are usually small. I live in a city on the west coast, breathe fresh sea air, see the stars, and the great outdoors is right outside my doorstep to put it mildly. Even in Oslo, the capital. It's rarely more than 10 minutes away.

This makes me sad :frown:

Hopefully I'll get all the country living I need for a while by going to Ireland to do my dissertation research . . . see the stars, some peace and quiet . . .
NEITHER!! I like living in my little town!
City at the moment ... but maybe somewhere quieter and cleaner when I'm like 70 :smile:
Reply 23
I live in a town.

The fields and woods are a 10 minutes walk away.

Big towns with shopping centres/ice-rinks are 15 minutes drive away.

London is a 35 minute train journey away, with trains running past midnight.

Best of both worlds! :biggrin:
Reply 24
Original post by Lozza_00
Thats why Ididnt put town as an option! So, would you rather live in a city or village? (both average size)

City, because it could be a city that's the size of a town. Like Bangor for example. :tongue:

But if their average size then village, because crowds annoy me.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by Aphotic Cosmos
This makes me sad :frown:

Hopefully I'll get all the country living I need for a while by going to Ireland to do my dissertation research . . . see the stars, some peace and quiet . . .

My big brother lives in the 'country', which is about 5 minutes away from the biggest shopping centre. My city of 35.000/40.000 is actually the 12th biggest city here! Lol.

That sounds very nice :^_^:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by BookWormShanti
Where I live doesn't even count as a village, but I wouldn't want to live anywhere bigger. I imagine this will change as I get older though - after Uni I can easily see myself living in London.

Why do you not even want to live in a village now but move to the biggest city in the whole country for uni?!
Reply 27
Original post by mkb230
Without a doubt city. I already live in a village and everything closes at 5. Even the public transport stops running after 6. Everything is backwards in the countryside.

same
Reply 28
Original post by Lintu93
I live in a town.

The fields and woods are a 10 minutes walk away.

Big towns with shopping centres/ice-rinks are 15 minutes drive away.

London is a 35 minute train journey away, with trains running past midnight.

Best of both worlds! :biggrin:

I know its best of both worlds... thats why I didn't put town as an option! Soo... village or city?
I study in Lancaster (population of 45,000-50,000) and my hometown is of the same size. I would definitely rather live in a city than a village.
Original post by Luceria
I live in a city of 35.000/40.000 people. A little boring, but I like it. I don't like overcrowded cities. Mine is quiet and nice.

A city of 35 000?
I live in a town of 100 000
Of course the countryside and fresh air can be nice, but I would definitely get bored looking at the same hills 365 (or however many if you go on holiday) days a year, no actually probably after a month or so. So I'd like to live in a massive city and then travel right across the world visiting basically everywhere :biggrin: Then go back to the city, and if i'm ever bored I'll go on a holiday again
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Luceria
My big brother lives in the 'country', which is about 5 minutes away from the biggest shopping centre. My city of 35.000/40.000 is actually the 12th biggest city here! Lol.

That sounds very nice :^_^:

35-40,000! I live in a town of 58,000 and the borough has a population of 100,000 :eek:

Oh damn I'm coming to Norway :cool:
Reply 33
Original post by Glen_Nichols
A city of 35 000?
I live in a town of 100 000

Haha, yes. But we're talking Norwegian standards here. Norway's population is 4,9 million. Oslo (the capital) has a little over half a million.
Reply 34
Original post by Lozza_00
I know its best of both worlds... thats why I didn't put town as an option! Soo... village or city?

In which case, I'd prefer to live in the outskirts of a small city, so I can have easy access to the fields and woods but also have access to the shops and stuff in the city.
Reply 35
I live in the absolute middle of nowhere a mile away from a tiny village...and I would like to live in a bigger village :smile:

Or failing that, for the old station to be reopened :redface: I like trains.
Reply 36
A town :mmm:
Reply 37
Original post by Aphotic Cosmos
35-40,000! I live in a town of 58,000 and the borough has a population of 100,000 :eek:

Oh damn I'm coming to Norway :cool:

Haha, wow. That's a lot of people!

Lovely :awesome: tehe.
I'd rather live on the outskirts of a city. I love the idea of living in surburbia with a little Porsche when I've established my career
I currently live in a city, and would rather live in a village or a small town like I used to. It's so much better when there are fewer cars on the road and hopefully nothing to ruin the beautiful scenery or mug you during your daily business.
Isolation is no problem whatsoever, in fact it's much preferred. As long as there is a decent supermarket within five or six miles, you can get all the essentials you need with relative convenience.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest