Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I do!!! I do!!!

I learnt from a 23 year old o.0 I thought young people didn't knit. I've known how to do it for about 3 years but everytime I start doing something I decide to do something else so I have a lot of unfinished projects :/

ReputationRep:
    I knit. It's very useful for making christmas presents. This year I made my sister these:

(only mines didn't look so professional).

It's really easy once you get the hang of it, and it's a great way to pass the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwolf)
    I knit. It's very useful for making christmas presents. This year I made my sister these:

(only mines didn't look so professional).

It's really easy once you get the hang of it, and it's a great way to pass the time.
    :O Thats so cute! Yeah but who wants a perfect version? All the imperfections make it personal and more home made and heartfelt Thats what I think I'm going to love about knitting. I'm already thinking of all the uses it will come into... making my dad jumpers.. my mum a scarf.. boyfriend blanket.. presents, allsorts!

ReputationRep:
    I love to knit! I made a huge patchwork blanket that took about a year, but it looks nice so it was worth it. I like to make little Christmas stockings as presents too. Also have a subscription to Let's Knit magazine..

ReputationRep:
    I used to, but i got busy with work and stuff.
    I do cross stitch too!

ReputationRep:
    I can knit/sew. My mum is currently crocheting ANOTHER blanket. I have 3 of the ones she's made

I actually knitted myself a chunky scarf at the beginning of the month to keep me nice and warm. It's about 3 metres long though lol. Also, far cheaper than those in Accessorize/Monsoon.

ReputationRep:
    yup, I knit tons.
    This year I have been addicted to knitting cowls.

Good thing to do while watching rubbish TV

ReputationRep:
    I started once, my mum teaching me, but I quickly gave up...
    Darn it, if I only stuck to it, I could have knitted my own jumper by now...:unimpressed:

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know where I need to start materials wise? I want to knit a big huge massive thick blanket.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insignificant)
    Does anyone know where I need to start materials wise? I want to knit a big huge massive thick blanket.
    Depends what kind of blanket you want to make.
    http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory.php
    This has loads of free patterns, search for blankets and whatever pattern you use will tell you how much yarn you need and what size. Or if you don't want a pattern you could buy loads of different colours in the same size and make squares then sew them together.

ReputationRep:
    You should probably should start out with something simpler like a scarf, cos you're bound to make mistakes at the start. One thing you should know is that when you're buying more than one ball of the same colour of wool you need to check a thing called the dye lot, which is a number printed on the label. Check that the numbers are the same, otherwise the colours won't quite match.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwolf)
    You should probably should start out with something simpler like a scarf, cos you're bound to make mistakes at the start. One thing you should know is that when you're buying more than one ball of the same colour of wool you need to check a thing called the dye lot, which is a number printed on the label. Check that the numbers are the same, otherwise the colours won't quite match.
    I wouldve thought that a scarf would be like a blanket, just bigger? Although I did wonder how you make it so big when the needles are only so long..

ReputationRep:
    I wouldve thought that a scarf would be like a blanket, just bigger? Although I did wonder how you make it so big when the needles are only so long..
    What I meant was if you start off with doing a scarf, you can get all your mistakes over and done with and learn how to fix them, so you won't make any ugly mistakes when it comes to making the blanket. I'm not sure how you make a blanket so big, I know that with some you knit squares and sew them together. I'm sure when you find a pattern it'll tell you.

ReputationRep:
    i learnt yeeeeaaaars ago from by nan, but it took me forever to knit just the tiniest square so i gave up
    but i can cross-stitch, pretty hardcore eh?

ReputationRep:
    I've got no-one to teach me My grandma used to knit loads but she passed away last year so I have no way of learning apart from youtube!
    oh sorry, well i just learnt from videos- well,one & it's pretty straightforward... i don't really know anyone that knits i'm sure youtube's good enough

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.