Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why am I so unmotivated? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wild_Precious_Life)
    If we are going down the medical route, we should also consider depression (have you noticed a change in mood? eating habits? sleeping habits? interest in hobbies you used to find enjoyable?), Addison's disease (as mentioned above), hyper/hyperthyroidism, glandular fever, anaemia, diabetes and chronic fatigue syndrome to name but a few...
    Oh God, I think I shouldn't worry about it too much, otherwise I might turn into a massive hypochondriac looking at that list, and tbh the only symptoms really are lack of interest in doing things, and sleeping far too much. I think I might just go and see the college nurse if it continues. Thanks for telling me about the different things it could be though, I need to get it fixed before finals if there's actually something wrong with me .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemons)
    Hi, I did a quick google on ACTH but didn't find anything about this. Do you know how it works/could you explain it to me please? It's just that in the past 3 months I've basically stopped bothering with work, I don't get up til midday and other lazy things, when before I was always really get up and go and never had any concentration problems at all. I thought it was just me being lazy, but the sudden change is quite weird I think...
    Yes, it does seem to be hard to find info on the web for it. I found this which only gives a little section on some symptoms, but I don't think you should worry too much as its not too common. but see a doctor if you're worried, it could also be something like depression, or just that you don't sleep enough.

http://www.royalfree.nhs.uk/pdf/part...deficiency.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemons)
    Oh God, I think I shouldn't worry about it too much, otherwise I might turn into a massive hypochondriac looking at that list, and tbh the only symptoms really are lack of interest in doing things, and sleeping far too much. I think I might just go and see the college nurse if it continues. Thanks for telling me about the different things it could be though, I need to get it fixed before finals if there's actually something wrong with me .
    Sure, in all likelihood it's probably nothing serious but I just thought I'd list all the potential causes just incase! Do you feel that it could be something like depression?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I can never stay focused on anything when I'm at home. I know I should be doing revision, booking a hotel for my interview, booking train tickets and etc. but I always find myself drifting back to Facebook or some random Wikipedia article instead (<WTF :confused:). Sometimes I don't even realise I've done this until half an hour has gone by. The frustrating thing is I know I should be doing these things and I want to, but I just can't for some reason.
    Anyone else experienced this? Just knowing I'm not the only one will really help.
    Cheers TSR.
    This.
    I am the same. I have three courseworks to do. I have tutorials to do. Done nothing. I am distracted. I end up doing random pointless stuff. It is frustrating because I wasted all that time.

Even in the library, I am distracted. I end up being so bored and still do nothing.

It is really frustrating and annoying.

I kind of have the same problem OP :/ But I've found a solution that's works for me... most of the time It's called group study!

I meet up with a friend of mine every morning in a library and we study for hours... we don't study the same course, but as long as we drag each other to the library and get some work done, it doesn't matter.

So either go to the library on your own or go with a friend. That's my advice.

Edit: I can't study at home... i find myself on facebook/msn/tsr or getting food from the fridge every 10mins.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Roo Bix)
      Unplug your modem.

I know :zomg: sounds ridiculous. But honestly, be logical about this, you'll be cutting out a massive distraction with minimal effort.
      You sir, are a mad man!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by SomeStudent)
      I kind of have the same problem OP :/ But I've found a solution that's works for me... most of the time It's called group study!

I meet up with a friend of mine every morning in a library and we study for hours... we don't study the same course, but as long as we drag each other to the library and get some work done, it doesn't matter.

Edit: I can't study at home... i find myself on facebook/msn/tsr or getting food from the fridge every 10mins.
      Doesn't work for me. I tried. Still end up getting distracted.

(Original post by SomeStudent)

I'm exactly the same! It's just at home I can't study.. and it's a bit impractical group studying at this hour. We should open some kind of procrastination clinic.. the world needs one.

ReputationRep:
      can somebody please give me the fear?
      i have exams a week and loads of coursework to do and im on tsr

ReputationRep:
      life is such an effort

ReputationRep:
      Tell me about it. Ugh.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Blinks)
      I'll stalk you down if you do not?

ReputationRep:
      Same. I got a resit, which I didn't revise on much, on top of my normal exams plus 2 pieces of coursework to finish by next week. And here I am talking about it instead of doing it :sigh:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Blinks)
      If you don't read, you won't get to the preferred university you want. You won't make it in life. You will FAIL your exams. People will undermine your intelligence and laugh at you. You will have to do sixth form in a period of 3years instead of the conventional 2years. You will be scorned and be the dregs of society. The only job available would be cleaning, working in KFC, burger king etc. Sorry to be harsh and blatant, but Imagine all these scenarios, if it doesn't get you motivated, i don't know what will. Get motivated now!!!!! lol

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by The Cornerstone)
      Same. I got a resit, which I didn't revise on much, on top of my normal exams plus 2 pieces of coursework to finish by next week. And here I am talking about it instead of doing it :sigh:
      Start now, there is still time.

ReputationRep:
      http://www.beska.net/upload/ef86cc01...8ac70b34b9.gif

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Vanny17)
      Start now, there is still time.
      It's never too late to turn things around!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Wild_Precious_Life)
      It's never too late to turn things around!
      That's true!

ReputationRep:
      Lack of motivation and procrastination is the story of my life whooopss...

ReputationRep:
      This is happening to me as well. During the day I hardly work and then at night I feel so worried about how will I get the grades I need for universities. I find that motivation probably would be getting the top uni offer but then again, whether that or not, I still need to work hard (I don't have any offers).
      I know have to but just don't know how to motivate my self. When people tell me they are revising I find it intimidating and then only realise I have to work but thats still now enough :/

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 29, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.