Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

500 Days Of Summer Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrCarmady)
    I don't remember the graphic, but the implication is that the fact that they love the same spot in downtown LA is just as shallow a connection as the fact that Tom and Summer love The Smiths. Maybe it's just me and maybe I need to re-watch it (I will soon enough), but I don't think Tom is any wiser at the end of the relationship than at the beginning.
    Well, no offense, but I definitely don't think the ending is supposed to be such a downer. I think they tried to end it on a positive note, and not just because of the graphic. The entire thing is about not giving up on love. Summer herself converts from a skeptic to a believer, just off-screen with someone else.

He grew from his experiences with Summer. He quit his perfectly adequate job and finally became an architect. He just didn't let his failed whatever-it-was with Summer completely jade him. Maybe this is just my California optimism talking... but then again this film is set in LA.

ReputationRep:
    See Manic too - it stars Joseph Gordan-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel aswell. It's a very very different film, but is fantastic (I much prefer it to 500 Days of Summer). Don Cheadle's in it too. Follows Gordan-Levitt's characters incarceration in a juvenile psych ward, and is truly raw. There is some romance too though - and in my estimation one of the best on screen kisses everrrrrrr:lovehug:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Billydodger)
    No. Just no.
    That bad? lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrCarmady)
    I don't remember the graphic, but the implication is that the fact that they love the same spot in downtown LA is just as shallow a connection as the fact that Tom and Summer love The Smiths. Maybe it's just me and maybe I need to re-watch it (I will soon enough), but I don't think Tom is any wiser at the end of the relationship than at the beginning.
    How the hell is anybody supposed to hit it off if they don't have some sort of 'shallow' surface connection to begin with? You can't exactly know everything about someone from the moment you meet them... She's an architect and so is he. She loves the same type of architecture as him (the same view of the old part of the city). I think that says a lot. I think Autumn is more of a chance encounter, like Summer's with her eventual husband. It just sort of happened.

The whole point, for me, is that he has learned from his experience with Summer, but has not lost his hope and even though he fears being hurt the same way he still has faith that eventually he'll find 'her'. The person for him.

The music, the graphic, the general tone of the ending does not imply a negative outcome. But that's my opinion. Obviously any movie, any song etc is about personal interpretation.

ReputationRep:
    I have seen the film only recently and I liked it. It was a bit sad at some points, but it ended up well after all. Summer's behaviour was very weird, though.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    One of my friend's comments as the final trailers started rolling: "OH it was 500 days of Summer because she was called SUMMER!" :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    One of my favourite films. The expectations vs reality scene is heart-wrenching.

(Original post by dews1290)
      Haven't seen it but Us by Regina Spektor is the main soundtrack if I'm correct? must say its an awesome song
      Rep for reminding me to put that back on my iPod. :cool:

(Original post by placebo24)
        The expectations vs reality scene is heart-wrenching.
        That scene was complete genius.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
        Rep for reminding me to put that back on my iPod. :cool:
        No worries, don't know why you'd want to take it off your ipood in the first place

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
        That scene was complete genius.
        I completely agree, but it did make me die inside

:moon:

ReputationRep:
          The soundtrack is perfect - The Smiths, Wolfmother, Temper Trap, Regina, etc. The only films that come anywhere close to it are Juno and Adventureland.

ReputationRep:
          Yeah I really liked this movie
          If you're interested in movies with a sort of quirky style- Rushmore, The Darjeeling Limited and The Royal Tenenbaums are three movies by Wes Anderson which I think are pretty great
          Otherwise something like The Science of Sleep and Eternal Sunshine by Michel Gondry are 'indie' type movies which are pretty good
          I saw Garden State listed above, that's of a similar style but definitely verging on the pretentious... then again, some people might say the same about Michel Gondry films
          A lot of movies with Michael Cera in them might interest you - Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist, Juno (mentioned above I think), Paper Heart...
          Whip It! just came to mind cos of Ellen Page (also in Juno)
          The Squid and the Whale and Adventureland -both have Jesse Eisenberg, who is a kind of Michael Cera-type I guess
          I Heart Huckabees is one I haven't watched but I like most things that Jason Schwartzman is in (he's famous for Rushmore really but in Darjeeling too)
          Rocket Science is a sweet teenage type movie
          Where the Wild Things Are is more of a kids movie but the style might be something you'd like...
          Movies in cinemas now- The Kids are All Right, Somewhere... (Sofia Coppola is great so any of her movies really- Lost in Translation, Marie Antoinette[I thought it was really good but apparently it got boo-ed at the Cannes film festival], The Virgin Suicides)
          These perhaps are a bit less similar in style to 500 Days of Summer, but I like all the above movies and I think the following are pretty great- A Single Man, Into the Wild (if you like that then 'Grizzly Man' is a fantastic documentary), Milk, Little Miss Sunshine, What's Eating Gilbert Grape, American Beauty, Amelie, Dead Poet's Society...
          Now things that really aren't similar but are really good - Pan's Labyrinth, Y Tu Mama Tambien, Leon, The Godfather Trilogy, The Outsiders, Doubt............

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
          Garden State.

ReputationRep:
          I don't know, I think the "Autumn" joke is really tacky if they're meant to get together.
          BTW, I forgot to mention how much this riffs off Annie Hall, which is of course a classic.

(Original post by dews1290)
            No worries, don't know why you'd want to take it off your ipood in the first place
            My iPod deleted all my songs for no reason. :shifty:

ReputationRep:
            Is it really bad that I think Summer was a total *****?
            I liked the film though.

ReputationRep:
            wasnt what i expected at all, quite liked it though. its cute!

ReputationRep:
            Is that a big spoiler in the OP? I'm still yet to watch the ruddy film. Knew I shouldn't have come into this thread

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
          Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
          Useful resources
        • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
          Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.