Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lozza_00)
    why is class a good thing?
    Brings order to life. People know where they stand and it makes it easy to see people's true colours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    The navy is a joke (the people in it aren't, just to clarify) and the merchant marine is smaller than that of countries like Denmark and Singapore.
    Wasn't being entirely serious...

was more just to annoy lefties and people who are ashamed to be British. Which, one the whole, one ought never to pass up an opportunity to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dnumberwang)
    I don't get how anyone can find the British countryside interesting, it's just basically a field, no nice landscapes or anything like in other parts of the world!
    I find it interesting too, maybe there's just the fact that there are some calm, simple and colorful places.
    There are also many architectural monuments within the countryside, things that are not found anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    This:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rylit91)
    Brings order to life. People know where they stand and it makes it easy to see people's true colours.
    But also segregates people in a totally uneccesary way.

ReputationRep:
    In the words of Hugh Grant in Love Actually:

"Britain,We may be a small country, but we're a great one, too. The country of Shakespeare, Churchill, the Beatles, Sean Connery, Harry Potter. David Beckham's right foot. David Beckham's left foot, come to that. "

((although the david beckham thing is debatable)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lozza_00)
    But also segregates people in a totally uneccesary way.
    Class doesn't segregate people unnecessarily. If poor people are poor, is it natural that they'd mix in rich circles? In this regard, people prefer their 'own kind'. That's natural. Besides, it's my humble opinion that wealth does not determine class; behaviour does. Such things determine class. Not necessarily the way one talks, but if every other word is a cuss word, then you cannot be anything higher than lower class. In this regard, also, people prefer their own kind. Would a refined person enjoy the company of an extroverted, uncouth loud-mouth? My guess is not. Class is natural, and has only become 'unpopular' because, in my opinion, America is a country built on the foundations of equality for all etc, and as the only superpower, has, tragically, a lot of influence around the world socially.

I don't get how anyone can find the British countryside interesting, it's just basically a field, no nice landscapes or anything like in other parts of the world!
      Exactly, it's just flat with endless farms. Hedge after hedge, 'square' after 'square', etc.

It hasn't got a patch on unspoiled (say Turkish) countryside beauty with its mountains, hills, rivers, forests, etc.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by RamocitoMorales)

It hasn't got a patch on unspoiled (say Turkish) countryside beauty with its mountains, hills, rivers, forests, etc.
      Oh look what a surprise...

How many times have you actually seen any real English countryside? Visited any English country villages? Have you ever been to the lake district, or the Cotswolds? Or the Chilterns? (Only an hour or so outside of London) Have you ever heard of these places?

How many times have you been right up in the Scottish Highlands? One of the least inhabited places in all of Europe?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by RamocitoMorales)
      Exactly, it's just flat with endless farms. Hedge after hedge, 'square' after 'square', etc.

Well, that is rather subjective.

(Original post by Time Tourist)
        How many times have you actually seen any real English countryside? Visited any English country villages? Have you ever been to the lake district, or the Cotswolds? Or the Chilterns? (Only an hour or so outside of London) Have you ever heard of these places?
        Yes actually, I've travelled the southern English countryside somewhat extensively compared to my numerous English counterparts. It's all well and jolly, but one can't help but feel that they're like self contained campuses within the grander scheme of things.

ReputationRep:
        economically...nothing big really. I mean, lets face it, the UK is a small country which has used a lot of its natural resources. We were only ever big because for some reason we hit the agricultural and revolution first.

In other terms....I like the UK!

ReputationRep:
        I can probably name about 100 countries which do the natural scenery thing better than the UK. And yes I have been to the english countryside. It's just a field
        Man speaks the truth.

You want interesting countryside in the UK the first thing you do is get a flight out of England to Scotland or Wales.

Even this is pretty boring compared to pretty much every country in europe and they're boring compared to America both north and south you won't for example find a tropical jungle in europe.

ReputationRep:
        Stephen Fry

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by tillytots)
        In the words of Hugh Grant in Love Actually:

"Britain,We may be a small country, but we're a great one, too. The country of Shakespeare, Churchill, the Beatles, Sean Connery, Harry Potter. David Beckham's right foot. David Beckham's left foot, come to that. "

((although the david beckham thing is debatable)
        Haha, Love Actually was the first thing I thought of as well. Hence the "flashback to Love Actually" post. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Wozzie)
        Man speaks the truth.

You want interesting countryside in the UK the first thing you do is get a flight out of England to Scotland or Wales.

Even this is pretty boring compared to pretty much every country in europe and they're boring compared to America both north and south you won't for example find a tropical jungle in europe.
        Oh, that is lovely! :awesome:

Norway has stunning scenery. I wouldn't be ashamed to call it one of the most beautiful countries in Europe, and not just because I'm Norwegian. lol
        I think England is beautiful in its own way. Much more gentle nature, the rolling hills etc. It's quite nice.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by rylit91)
        Class doesn't segregate people unnecessarily. If poor people are poor, is it natural that they'd mix in rich circles? In this regard, people prefer their 'own kind'. That's natural. Besides, it's my humble opinion that wealth does not determine class; behaviour does. Such things determine class. Not necessarily the way one talks, but if every other word is a cuss word, then you cannot be anything higher than lower class. In this regard, also, people prefer their own kind. Would a refined person enjoy the company of an extroverted, uncouth loud-mouth? My guess is not. Class is natural, and has only become 'unpopular' because, in my opinion, America is a country built on the foundations of equality for all etc, and as the only superpower, has, tragically, a lot of influence around the world socially.
        Being rich or poor does not determine your 'kind'. How is it unnatural for rich and poor to mix? You are basically saying the lower classes are foul mouthed and extroverted which is untrue in most cases, and rich people are often like that. Just because someone is working class does not make them any less intelligent or polite than someone who is upper class.

I am glad you don't want to mix with people like me because quite frankly you sound so far up your own bum a conversation would be difficult.

ReputationRep:
        Merlin.

ReputationRep:
        I can probably name about 100 countries which do the natural scenery thing better than the UK. And yes I have been to the english countryside. It's just a field
        You obviously went to the wrong field. The thread was about what the UK has, not just England. Whilst England does do big variety in terms of countryside, the other 3 countries have spectacular countryside.

The UK also has a country that can beat the Aussies at cricket . So worth giving up 3 nights of sleep.

ReputationRep:
        World's finest humour.
        The Full English.
        The Beatles.
        Lake District.
        Best trained armed forces on the planet.
        Free healthcare.
        The humble pub.

Doesn't take long to think of what makes the UK a worthwhile place to live.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      Useful resources
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.