Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Poll: Who will make it big from the urban music scene in 2011? Watch

• View Poll Results: Who is gonna impact the mainstream and be in the charts? YOU CAN VOTE FOR MORE THAN 1
    Jessie J
    32.50%
    Yasmin
    10.00%
    Ed Sheeran
    12.50%
    Skepta
    35.00%
    Loick Essien
    12.50%
    Talay Riley
    0%
    Bashy
    7.50%
    Emeli Sande
    7.50%
    Wretch 32
    25.00%
    Griminal
    7.50%
    Jodie Connor
    7.50%
    JME
    10.00%
    Maverick Sabre
    7.50%
    Giggs
    20.00%
    Tempa T (Tempzzzzz)
    22.50%
    Other - please state
    15.00%

ReputationRep:
    Remember to vote on the poll!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lozza_00)
    There has been hardly any rnb?

Its all been dance and rap?

Name some rnb songs that have been big in the charts in 2010...
    R&B, Hip Hop, Grime, Crunk... it's all very similar. If you want to get fussy over genres fine, but we all know the sort of stuff I'm on about. Either black people rapping and whining, or autotuned hipsters, it's terrible. Let's see, just looking at the current charts...

Rihanna
    Black Eyed Peas
    Katy B
    Willow Smith
    Far Easy Movement
    Bruno Mars
    Tinie Tempah
    N-Dubz
    Jessie J
    Taio Cruz
    Usher
    Flo Rida
    Tinchy Strider
    Swedish House Mafia
    Professor Green
    Gyptian
    B.O.B

Whereas if we look at rock or indie...

Kings of Leon: no. 87

See what I'm getting at?

ReputationRep:
    any more answers?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm I forgot to mention Sway. He is probably technically the best rapper in the UK but I think if he was going to make it, he would have done by now and Kano has had his time.
    Hes almost made it though.

Hes signed to Akons Konvict Label and has already released 2 mixtapes that have had a great reception.

His new album due out in 2011 is eagerly anticipated so that could make him massive in the US.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukas1051)
    R&B, Hip Hop, Grime, Crunk... it's all very similar. If you want to get fussy over genres fine, but we all know the sort of stuff I'm on about. Either black people rapping and whining, or autotuned hipsters, it's terrible. Let's see, just looking at the current charts...

Rihanna
    Black Eyed Peas
    Katy B
    Willow Smith
    Far Easy Movement
    Bruno Mars
    Tinie Tempah
    N-Dubz
    Jessie J
    Taio Cruz
    Usher
    Flo Rida
    Tinchy Strider
    Swedish House Mafia
    Professor Green
    Gyptian
    B.O.B

See what I'm getting at?
    Yeah, I know exactly what you mean and agree 100%, it just annoys me when people generalise all urban music as rnb and are like "oh, I hate rnb" when they don't, they hate the grimey, poppy, dancey stuff that you mentioned above.

And the underground rban scene is very strong at the moment so it looks like 2011 is going to be a lot like 2010, but saying that, there are a lot of indie bands such as Foals, King Blues, Bombay Bicycle club etc who are much more popular than the artists I mentioned in the poll but are getting their marketing wrong/ aren't bothered about getting on the radio and in the charts so they may take over in 2011 but I think its more likely that the artists I mentioned will.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jb9191)
    Hes almost made it though.

Hes signed to Akons Konvict Label and has already released 2 mixtapes that have had a great reception.

His new album due out in 2011 is eagerly anticipated so that could make him massive in the US.
    We will have to wait for the album but I think Silver & Gold was going to be the track that made him big, if any. And it didn't.

ReputationRep:
    We will have to wait for the album but I think Silver & Gold was going to be the track that made him big, if any. And it didn't.
    Silver & Gold wasnt that good though.

His first two albums had far better tracks than Silver & Gold.

Plus Silver & Gold was a stop gap and a bit part project done when he first went to the US. Since then he hasnt released anything major.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I know exactly what you mean and agree 100%, it just annoys me when people generalise all urban music as rnb and are like "oh, I hate rnb" when they don't, they hate the grimey, poppy, dancey stuff that you mentioned above.

And the underground rban scene is very strong at the moment so it looks like 2011 is going to be a lot like 2010, but saying that, there are a lot of indie bands such as Foals, King Blues, Bombay Bicycle club etc who are much more popular than the artists I mentioned in the poll but are getting their marketing wrong/ aren't bothered about getting on the radio and in the charts so they may take over in 2011 but I think its more likely that the artists I mentioned will.
    No, I see what you're getting at, but as someone who really dislikes 'urban' music, the fact that there is currently nothing I like on the charts at the minute just annoys me. I don't think it's marketing as such, I think it's just society... the majority of people would rather listen to auto-tuned lyrics about getting 'crunk' over a crappy sample, as opposed to intelligent lyrics and good instrumentals. But meh, I guess that's what the underground is for, eh? If Bombay Bicycle Club suddenly became uber-popular, the fans would just get annoyed that they're 'mainstream'. No-one complains about hip-hop being mainstream, so maybe it's a good balance.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't heard of most of these :erm:. I'm only really interested in Jessie J.

ReputationRep:
    :dontknow: maybe k koke

ReputationRep:
    Probably Skepta and Tiniiiee

ReputationRep:
    Guys...
    im suprised nobody's mentioned lowkey yet... this guy is on another level. the only thing is his lyrics don't seem to appeal to the masses for some reason. i think its coz he doesnt rap about cars girls and money and fighting thats the only reason why he hasnt reached the big time already.

ReputationRep:
    JME
    Tempz
    Devlin *lol I spelt Devil at first
    Labrinth
    Mizz Bratt
    Jessie J
    Katy B
    Wretch 3-2
    Giggs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by koyes uddin)
    Guys...
    im suprised nobody's mentioned lowkey yet... this guy is on another level. the only thing is his lyrics don't seem to appeal to the masses for some reason. i think its coz he doesnt rap about cars girls and money and fighting thats the only reason why he hasnt reached the big time already.
    I don't think he is mainstream enough to make it big though... the only reason I've heard of him is because of the whole Chipmunk thing.

ReputationRep:
    any more opinions?

ReputationRep:
    IE. who is gonna be in the top 40 and why?

Here is who I think and why:

1. Jessie J: She’s got an amazing voice and some amazing songs! Price Tag is number 1 material and I’ve got a couple of unleaked tracks by her which are equally as amazing!

2. Yasmin: She’s already signed and has got the voice, the looks, the writing skills… just about everything! On My Own will be big!

3. Loick Essien: He’s got some amazing tunes and its a shame he didn’t chart with Love Drunk. I reckon Stuttering will make the top 40 and he has some other awesome tracks such as All Around The World.

4. Ed Sheeran: You wouldn’t expect this little ginger guy to be one of the hottest talents in the grime scene but he is and deservedly so! He has broke the barriers of what certain people listen to and crated a unique niche in the market. What sets him apart from the rest is his ability to talk about themes that are real and relevant to everyday life of the regular person.

5. Bashy: With MCs such as Scorcher and Griminal being signed, I’m surprised Bashy is still independent! He’s had some massive tunes this year such as Fantasy and When The Sky Falls and could definitely see him following in the footsteps of Tinchy, Tinie etc.

6. Emeli Sande: She has been a highlight on just about every mainstream grime artists’ albums so its about time she released some of her own stuff! Her video about the student protests 'Breaking The Law' is AMAZING!

Special mention - Jodie Connor: her tracks are really poppy and she has an amazing voice too in her acoustic performances.

Other special mention - Talay Riley: The Sergeant Smash video is top notch and I've got some unleaked tracks by him which are really good including 'Make You Mine' which is awesome and the video of him recording it on youtube has loads of views.

I'm not sure who a few of those artists you named on the list are, but I voted for Griminal. I see a lot of potencial in that guy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukas1051)

Rihanna
    Black Eyed Peas
    Katy B
    Willow Smith
    Far Easy Movement
    Bruno Mars
    Tinie Tempah
    N-Dubz
    Jessie J
    Taio Cruz
    Usher
    Flo Rida
    Tinchy Strider
    Swedish House Mafia
    Professor Green
    Gyptian
    B.O.B

See what I'm getting at?

I think rock and indie is terrible tbh. No one wants to hear that type of ''music'' anymore.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone want to add?

ReputationRep:
    Your list is flawed, half of them have already charted and are signed...

Big H

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by koyes uddin)
    Guys...
    Lowkey doesn't wanna "blow", rapping is more of a hobby to him, he's more of a political activist...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 1, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.