Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Easier to get into Uni in 2012? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yahyahyahs)
    I hope, yes, but realistically, I doubt a significant number of people will be put off by the fee rise. University is now like a rite of passage. Also, the last fee rise saw more people going to uni.
    What was the rise?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheHeart)
    What was the rise?
    2004 - The top-up fees row, fees were raised from £1,000 to the current cap of £3,000.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheHeart)
    And what do the welsh students have that us English students don't? Why should they go for free?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11880829
    Devolution and the fact they elect governments who actually give a damn what the people think.

They don't go for free, they currently play under half of what we do (£1,280 I think) but they still pay.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it will be easy at all.

- All your friends who tell you they've decided not to go uni in favour of getting a job and experience early will find it hard when it comes down to it. Don't forget, job opportunities are not easy these days and for someone who's just left school, job crediability is none because they have no experience

- From how I understand it, students go by peer pressure and by what their parents decide. It is the social norm at the moment to go into higher education and get a degree and this won't change regardless of tuiton fee raises (which by the way will be paid by SFC)

- As unemployment rises, students will want to carry on with their studies until the economy starts producing more jobs appealing to them.

ReputationRep:
    I'd expect it would be easier compared to this year because the surge of applicants trying to get in before the fee rise would have stopped, but overall I think it will be about the same. I don't think Oxbridge and other top 5/10 unis will be less competitive, if anything, I think it would be a tiny bit more competitive because- and this might just be me- if I was paying 6-9 grand per year, I'd damn well want to make sure my degree was worth the money and to do so, I'd make sure I worked hard and applied to the 'best' universities. I don't know really, it's too hard to tell.

ReputationRep:
    I think more students from other EU countries will now go for unis in Scotland, Germany, Denmark, Finland, Holland instead of England, as now the difference between the tuition fees will be much bigger, as unis in these countries either don't have tuition fees or are insignificant compared to the 9000 pounds in England. And maybe even British students will aim for these countries too ? So yes, I think there will be less competition

ReputationRep:
    I'd imagine so

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.