Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If a couple of teenagers asked you to buy them alcohol would you? Watch

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    Have done in the past but I wouldn't anymore. I used to feel sympathetic cos there's nothing to do in the evenings for kids too young to go into pubs, then I realised I was just enabling asbo/chavvy behaviour.

Yeah it's also a crime

ReputationRep:
    I'd say yes, go in, get one bottle of beer, open it in front of them and drink it, and then say, "oh sorry, did you want something?"

By the way, if you successfully buy alcohol for youths then the cashier is at fault, not you.

I somehow managed 4-5 years of underage drinking without resorting to that, so no.

ReputationRep:
      No way.

ReputationRep:
      Some chavvy girls that I remember from my high school asked me a few months ago...really shows how stupid they are to think I'm 18. (Ofc I told them to f' off)

I just ask my mum if she can buy it for me, as long as I have the money she doesn't really care...

ReputationRep:
      I once bought some cigarettes for a group of teenagers, bit stupid really. I won't be doing it again.

ReputationRep:
      Nope. The only time I've been asked is when my mum was down helping me move into my new flat, and we went walking down the street looking at menus to find somewhere to eat when these chavs came up to us as we were looking at a Chinese and asked us to buy them drink from the shop next door. My mum was like ":lolwut: No....". Lovely introduction to the neighbourhood =P

ReputationRep:
      I'm a couple of months shy of my 18th, and I keep asking myself this question. I probably would, but with a number of considerations:

1. How old are they? I'm a firm believer that 16 year olds should be allowed to drink the softer drinks - beer, cider etc. It works on the continent, and I think with a bit of re education it would work here as well.
      2. What drinks do they want? I've got no problem with buying a 16 year old a few beers. But I wouldn't buy them vodka, or in general anything stronger than 15%.
      3. What do they look like? If they're chavvy, I probably wouldn't, as they're more likely to cause trouble. If they're fairly smartly dressed, and look like they're actually going out somewhere instead of just hanging about on street corners drinking, I'd have less of a problem with it.
      4. Am I likely to get done? I'd be unlikely to do it in a shop on a main road, but a small off licence on a back street, I probably would.

I'd buy a 16 year old cigarettes as well, I think the age to buy them should go back down to 16.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Muffinz)
      I'd say yes, go in, get one bottle of beer, open it in front of them and drink it, and then say, "oh sorry, did you want something?"

By the way, if you successfully buy alcohol for youths then the cashier is at fault, not you.
      That's not true. Buying alcohol for underage people is an offence. The cashier is also at fault if he has reason to believe you'll be supplying it to an underage person, but you will always be legally liable if you buy for underage.

ReputationRep:
      my mum gets asked that all the time but she has never done it...and i don't think i would either unless they give me something for my services

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Muffinz)

What, are they supposed to have mind-reading powers and therefore be expected to know what their customers do with their products?

ReputationRep:
      I bought cigarettes for under-age when the age was 16. Funny thing, I wasn't even 16, I just got sold cigs.

I wouldn't buy alcohol though, just because I'm a scaredy cat and would probably get caught.

ReputationRep:
      I wouldn't, I don't think I could be bothered with the hassle of going all the way into a shop to buy some wee randoms booze!

ReputationRep:
      Id say yes on the condition they threw in a fiver/tenner for my troubles.

ReputationRep:
      i used to buy the little scrots at my old school stuff from the vending machines they weren't allowed to use for a minimum of 20p commission, its just the same thing really.
      Although i wouldn't do it for free lol, thats just stupid

ReputationRep:
      Not for random kids. That's just stupid. I'd but stuff for people I knew, or when my friends forget their IDs.
      But for people you don't know? Not worth the bother or legal issues

ReputationRep:
      Nope, I wouldn't.

ReputationRep:
      Randomers? No. I'd tell them to **** right off.

But I often buy someone I know whos 17 cigarettes, And I'd have no problem buying friends a drink.

But not strangers. I will not help chavs to become drunker chavs. And lets be honest, who else hangs out around a new agents asking for some booze?

ReputationRep:
      I would if it was someone I knew, never for some random person.

I had friends who turned 18 before me and bought me booze if I asked. My boyfriend also very reluctantly bought me some if I wanted it.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.