Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Fit to fight, fit for life! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blutarsky)
    I'm joining the Navy in September and I want to be fitter for when I start training as they run you ragged. Gonna do Starting Strength with pull ups added in (I'm sure you all know it by now):

Workout A:

Squat 3x5
    Bench Press 3x5
    Deadlit 1x5
    Pullups 3x5

Workout B:

Squat 3x5
    OH Press 3x5
    Rows 3x5
    Pullups 3x5

I'm starting off lifting REALLY light weights, to restart. I started lifting about a year ago, kept it up for about 3 months and stopped when I broke my wrist playing 5-a-side football, so I've pretty much lost what little I gained by now. I could do with having a better physique as well - shape myself with muscle as opposed to fat.

I've posted a picture If you tilt your screen back you can better see my abz Don't mention my stupid body hair lol.

Height: 6ft
    Weight: 167lbs

Current lifts: (last updated 03/01/11):

Squat - 55kg
    Deadlift - 80kg
    Barbell row - 45kg
    Bench Press - 47.5kg
    Overhead Press - 30kg
    Pull ups - Unweighted

Targets for 01/05/11:

Squat - 90kg
    Deadlift - 120kg
    Bench Press - 70kg
    Thomas is that you? Oh my days...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Male_Melons)
    Thomas is that you? Oh my days...
    No

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fireph)
    you look familiar in that picture for some reason (no homo) and i really don't know why
    If you know where Fareham is, there is a slight chance you've met me.

ReputationRep:
    Squat: 62.5kg 5 5 5 (easy, feeling heavier on my back though)
    Bench: 52.5kg 5 5 5 (surprisingly easy)
    Deadlift: 85kg 5 (easy, felt good!)

You aren't lifting for enough repetitions if you are aiming for the navy? This is a very familiar bulking routine although it is normally split up between different days to let body parts rest. Building core strength through these excersizes is good, but if you are doing this everytime you might not have enough rest to build muscles.

Also make sure your deadlift technique is OK, because 85kg seems quite alot considering your frame from the picture. On deadlift I found it easiest using the biggest in size weights on the barbell so it makes it come off the floor more.

You are heavily neglecting shoulders, include the military press in...

Also do chin ups and pull ups more often.

Make sure you do each excersize slowly and with good form.

Above all like you said eat eat eat, eat like a horse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ineedaplace)
    You aren't lifting for enough repetitions if you are aiming for the navy? This is a very familiar bulking routine although it is normally split up between different days to let body parts rest. Building core strength through these excersizes is good, but if you are doing this everytime you might not have enough rest to build muscles.
    What? It's Starting Strength brah, not a body building split...

Also make sure your deadlift technique is OK, because 85kg seems quite alot considering your frame from the picture.
    U mad? 85kg deadlift is not a lot by any standards.

On You are heavily neglecting shoulders, include the military press in...
    You clearly don't know what 'press' is.

Thanks for contributing mate, I know you had the best intentions, but I'm not sure you know what you're talking about. What are your lifts?

ReputationRep:
    I lift about 2-3 times as much as you. Google 'military press'.... it is a name it is the 4th compound movement effecting shoulders the most, you are missing out.

85kg is not heavy on deadlift but it is by your frame standards. I was worried that you could cause a back injury looking at your frame. With deadlift also it is mainly about technique so going lower for a bit and doing it slower would probably give more benefits. I know alot of big guys who avoid this lift because of the injury aspect and they supplement with other 'back' excersizes.

Building core strength or starting strength or whatever you still need time to rest your body. You don't grow or get stronger in the gym, you do it while resting. If you are just trying to get used to the excersizes do more repetitions and less weight yet again.

I am not a super crazy expert power lifter but I have been lifting for a few years starting out at your body shape-ish a 2-3 years ago.

Also for strength take creatine and BCAA's. For recovery protein shakes and glutamine.

ReputationRep:
    If you know where Fareham is, there is a slight chance you've met me.
    No chance of that i'm a Northener.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ineedaplace)
    I lift about 2-3 times as much as you. Google 'military press'.... it is a name it is the 4th compound movement effecting shoulders the most, you are missing out.
    That's what the press is (probably listed as Overhead press). It's military press performed standing. It's the latter half of the olympic press.

Building core strength or starting strength or whatever you still need time to rest your body.
    Starting Strength is the name of the program - it's very reputable. The only exercise that is performed every session is squat. I think you'll find that the large majority of lifting programs geared towards strength gains will include squats every day.

ReputationRep:
    Workout B

Squat - 5 5 5 - 67.5kg
    Press - 5 5 5 - 32.5kg
    Power Cleans - 3 3 3 3 3 - 37.5kg

Played 5-a-side football (and won) yesterday, but ate about 5000 calories (srs). My legs are extremely tired from the weekend as I had hockey, I lifted and 5-a-side. Need some rest or I won't recover which means I won't get stronger which means I won't get bigger which means I fail at life.

Wasn't expecting much today, but I did quite well. Press was easy, squats were hard (tired legs with increased weight :eek:) and the cleans were very easy. I understand cleans require tekkers - I should probably get my form checked. I won't increase the weight much more until I know I'm doing it right.

As usual, my only problem is with eating. I had a roast dinner for lunch, three course meal for dinner and 1.5 litres of milk yesterday - every day needs to be like this!

Going to weigh myself on wednesday morning, see how much I've gained (or not) in two weeks :p:

ReputationRep:
    Workout A

Squat 5 5 5 - 70kg (not easy, not hard... in the middle)
    Bench 5 5 5 - 55kg (hard, had to push myself on the very last reps)
    Deadlift 5 - 87.5kg (surprisingly easy)

Slightly concerned at how hard the bench press was. Not going to increase it next time, see how I go. Squat felt good, first time I've had to really exert myself for a squat so far. Deadlift came up easy - happy with that!

Here's what I've been eating:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Breakfast
    3 rashers of bacon
    200g beans
    1 fried egg
    1 slice of toast
    600ml milk

10.30am
    ???? - need to add something here!

Lunch
    150g pasta with a tin of tuna, sweetcorn and mayo
    Apple

Post workout
    600ml milk
    100g instant oats
    25g whey

Dinner
    Steak/chicken/chilli con carne with vegetables

I have 3/4 bottles of water throughout the day, maybe +1 on a work out day.

My oly set is coming very soon, and my standard set has been sold - I got £115 for 157kg and the barbells/dumbells.

Weighed myself this morning - 77kg exactly

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    x
    It would be nice if you at least left your original weight in the OP, if you update it every time then it is impossible for us to see your progress. By all means, post your new weight in replies, or update in the OP (next to original weight for example) but leave the original weight too so we have something to compare to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RNBen)
    It would be nice if you at least left your original weight in the OP, if you update it every time then it is impossible for us to see your progress. By all means, post your new weight in replies, or update in the OP (next to original weight for example) but leave the original weight too so we have something to compare to.
    Oh that's a good point - I'll do that!

ReputationRep:
    Workout B

Squat 5 5 5 - 72.5kg
    Press 5 5 5 - 35kg
    Cleans 5 5 5 - 32.5kg

Squat felt lighter on my back and went up nicely - the last rep on the last set was a slow one though. Might hover on squat and bench for Monday, increasing them wednesday/friday next week.
    Press felt good - heavy though.
    Cleans easy cos of the light weight for learning the form. I find them fun actually...

ReputationRep:
    Workout B

Squat 5 5 5 - 72.5kg
    Press 5 5 5 - 35kg
    Cleans 5 5 5 - 32.5kg

Squat felt lighter on my back and went up nicely - the last rep on the last set was a slow one though. Might hover on squat and bench for Monday, increasing them wednesday/friday next week.
    Press felt good - heavy though.
    Cleans easy cos of the light weight for learning the form. I find them fun actually...
    Your press is low compared to the rest of your lifts...

Your press is the same as mine and i only Bench 40 and squat 55...

Or is it me pressing high in comparison?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MHorman)
    Your press is low compared to the rest of your lifts...

Your press is the same as mine and i only Bench 40 and squat 55...

Or is it me pressing high in comparison?
    Neither - it just means we press the same.

ReputationRep:
    Workout A

Squat 5 5 5 72.5kg (hard)
    Bench 5 5 5 55kg (very hard)
    Deadlift 5 90kg (not hard)

Had 5 games of 5-a-side football and 3 late nights - not a good weekend in terms of rest. I did however have 3 steaks, two of which were 16oz.

Got a new oly weight set today, and used it immediately. I have a feeling that my previous weights weren't as heavy as they should have been, because my bench and squat felt heavier than they should have done. I'm gonna stick with the current weight on all my lifts, just to get used to using the weights and bar.

Decided on taking a jar of peanut butter and a table spoon to college, having 2/3 spoon fulls of the stuff during my mid-morning break.

I'm actually quite disappointed with myself today - the last rep on the bench was a real struggle! If it doesn't improve, I'll have to look into what's gone wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Diet Update

Breakfast
    Spoiler:
    Show

1x Slice of toast
    200g beans
    1x large egg
    3x bacon

660kcal, 41g carb, 50g protein, 26g fat

Lunch
    Spoiler:
    Show

150g wholewheat pasta
    1x chisken breast
    3x bacon rashers
    1x apple
    1x tin of sweetcorn
    Plenty of mayo

~1200kcal, 99g carbs, 82g protein, ~30g fat

Cutting down the milk to one glass in the morning and evening with my shake. 600ml a day still adds to 300kcal though. In my shakes, I put 2 table spoons of peanut butter, 25g of whey and 100g oats. Adds up to around 550kcal per shake, 40g protein and about 85g carbs.

Without dinner, I am eating around 2300kcal give or take 100. I'm not usually hungry in the evenings, so my dinners are usually just steak or chicken with vegetables.

ReputationRep:
    Just given this a quick glance...

I did RAF IOT a year or so ago while a friend went through Dartmouth at the same time, so know what you're preparing for. The weights are fine, but largely unnecessary, I have a build more commonly associated with Kenyans and managed fine.
    The fact you're playing a lot of 5-a-side is good, and you know what you can do in the bleep test, but an equal if not greater number of tests during your IOT will be mile and a half runs in as fast a time as possible. I know from experience that the fitness to get past level 12 on the bleep test doesn't directly corellate to a quick 1.5mile time. Get on google earth and measure out a route that you can practise, aim for as quick as possible, but <9mins is best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Just given this a quick glance...

I did RAF IOT a year or so ago while a friend went through Dartmouth at the same time, so know what you're preparing for. The weights are fine, but largely unnecessary, I have a build more commonly associated with Kenyans and managed fine.
    The fact you're playing a lot of 5-a-side is good, and you know what you can do in the bleep test, but an equal if not greater number of tests during your IOT will be mile and a half runs in as fast a time as possible. I know from experience that the fitness to get past level 12 on the bleep test doesn't directly corellate to a quick 1.5mile time. Get on google earth and measure out a route that you can practise, aim for as quick as possible, but <9mins is best.
    Yeah, you've got a fair point - I'll be starting distance running during the summer as I'm off to Dartmouth at the end of September. I want a better physique to be honest, so I thought I'd bulk whilst I can and trim down at Dartmouth

ReputationRep:
    Workout B

Squat 5 5 5 - 75kg (easier)
    Press 5 5 5 3 - 35kg 37.5kg
    Power Cleans 5 5 5 - 40kg

I've been eating a lot of late, and it's working. The overhead press felt too easy, so I increased it for the last set and went for an extra set afterwards (failed on the 4th rep). Squat felt alright, though I need to focus more on pushing through my heels - felt the weight shifting forwards marginally on the last couple of reps.
    Closing in on the BW squat - hoping to be there on Friday! Weighed myself as it's my 3rd week of lifting today, 172lbs (78kg) - I've gained 4/5lbs so far!

I'm going on holiday with a group of my mates in July/August, so I will probably start cutting late May after 5 months of bulking. Hopefully I will have something to cut down to!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.