Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Film of the Year Watch

• View Poll Results: What do you think has been the best film released this year?
    Inception
    44.52%
    Shutter Island
    8.22%
    Catfish
    1.37%
    The Town
    2.05%
    Scott Pilgrim vs the World
    4.11%
    Toy Story 3
    8.22%
    The Social Network
    7.53%
    Monsters
    0.68%
    Four Lions
    1.37%
    Kick-Ass
    2.05%
    A Prophet (Un prophe)
    3.42%
    The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
    0%
    Up In The Air
    0%
    Buried
    0.68%
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1
    9.59%
    Other
    6.16%

ReputationRep:
    I haven't seen terribly many movies in the cinema this year... but all that I have, bar one, were pretty awesome. Inception, Scott Pilgrim, Harry Potter and Tron Legacy were all great movies (with Harry Potter merely serving as the best so far, and not really an epic movie in it's own right [imo]). I also saw Get Him to the Greek... it was OK...

Tron: Legacy was probably the most visually attractive to me (I just love the world of The Grid) and had a great soundtrack, but it's sub-par storytelling let it down. Inception was also a great movie with some awesome moments, but I feel the ending REALLY let it down. Harry Potter... well, I knew exactly what would happen, but I still cried in that final little moment (well, not the final bit, the bit before - you know what I mean!). But I probably only cried because I had read the books - there's not really enough establishing in the movies to make people care enough.

Scott Pilgrim, however, truly was an "Epic movie of epic epicness", and so I vote for it

(Original post by LastLordofTime)
      But I probably only cried because I had read the books - there's not really enough establishing in the movies to make people care enough.
      I agree with this.

They had only featured Dobby in Chamber of Secrets then suddenly 'introduced' him again in Deathly Hallows so there wasn't that as strong connection that there was with the books where he has been present in Goblet of Fire, Order of the Phoenix, Half-Blood Prince - and has both helped and saved Harry.

Scott Pilgrim, however, truly was an "Epic movie of epic epicness", and so I vote for it
      Blu-ray is meant to be :coma:

ReputationRep:
      It was a toss up between Inception and Toy Story 3, but I voted for Inception in the end

ReputationRep:
      I voted for Inception, but there were many great films this year. Personally I also loved The Social Network, Zombieland, The Road and Scott Pilgrim (which was epic).

Tron definitely gets my guilty pleasure award

ReputationRep:
      not the girl with dragon. dark heavy stuff.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by dothestrand)
      Indeed. Why can't they just release them everywhere at the same time?
      I don't know for sure, but I imagine it's to do with the fact that worldwide distribution takes far longer to tool up for than local, so it's a choice between releasing in stages or waiting longer to be able to release it. Also, by staggering the releases it means you can promote it easier and adapt your marketing campaign over the course of distribution, as well as use a small early release to build up the capital needed to make it global.

With regards to these films specifically, they are all awards-bait so they are far more focused on the Globes and the Oscars than getting a wide release. In order to win those awards you need quite a hefty promotional campaign, so by releasing it worldwide they could compromise their chance for awards. No to mention the time constraints some of them faced (True Grit had it's first screening on the very last day for eligibility for the Golden Globes).

(Original post by LastLordofTime)
      but I feel the ending REALLY let it down.
      I've heard this complaint a few times, but I've never really understood it. For me, the ending is perfect. I couldn't think of any better way to end the film, save for one small change:

Spoiler:
      Show
      As the top spins and Cobb walks away, I feel Caine's character should then walk over to the top and stop it.

ReputationRep:
      Up in the Air, A prophet? I'm pretty sure I saw them in 2009.

Anyway from that list A prophet is the best, by quite a way. For 2010 however Dogtooth is probably my favourite. Closely followed by Enter the Void and Winter's Bone.

From this list and actually in 2010 probably Four Lions as a personal choice but the Social Network in terms of actual best film.

Although I still need to see Monsters, The Town, Catfish and Buried. And I have no interest in the girl with the dragon tattoo. So it can go to hell.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Diaz89)
      My film of the year is "A Prophet" followed by "Kick Ass". To be honest, it's been a pretty disappointing year for films, Inception was okay but completely overrated, Shutter Island was certainly a "surprise" and The Town was excellent, best shoot out scenes since Heat.
      I know right, of course some great films aren't getting mentions buut I just don't see 2010 as being a year full of hit films, looking back to February, March and April even I can barely remember any good films that came out

All that springs to mind are Clash of the titans, Legion and Kick ass (which is good though)

The Road and the Book of Eli out this year didn't they, no one's mentioned either of them... I thought they were highly rated

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by TurkeyProphet)
      Up in the Air, A prophet? I'm pretty sure I saw them in 2009.
      Their UK release dates were January 15 and January 22 respectively, qualifying them as 2010 films.

It is surprising though. I know I saw Up in the Air before Christmas last year, but I think it must have been at an advance screening.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by lukejoshjedi)
      I know right, of course some great films aren't getting mentions buut I just don't see 2010 as being a year full of hit films, looking back to February, March and April even I can barely remember any good films that came out

All that springs to mind are Clash of the titans, Legion and Kick ass (which is good though)

The Road and the Book of Eli out this year didn't they, no one's mentioned either of them... I thought they were highly rated
      I did mention The Road in the original post, would have included it was I able to have more options. The Book of Eli is a pretty standard action flick, nothing particularly groundbreaking about it.

ReputationRep:
      Oh yeah, just got reminded I saw Clash of the Titans too... Shows how memorable that film was :|

(Original post by placebo24)
        I voted for Inception, but there were many great films this year. Personally I also loved The Social Network, Zombieland, The Road and Scott Pilgrim (which was epic).

Tron definitely gets my guilty pleasure award
        Zombieland was last year.

Spoiler:
        Show
        Cameo in Zombieland was awesome

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Phalanges)
        Rogert Ebert says that 2010 has not been a great movie year, but has many great movies. While I'm not sure I agree with the former part of the quote, the latter is certainly true.

There have been movies that blurred the lines between reality and imagination, documentaries which changed their focus and tone during filming, family films with heart, strong additions to franchises and satires brimming with wit. Films have been elevated by individual performances to punch above their weight, while others were made memorable because of their script and direction. Films which shone way past their tiny budgets and others which tried their best to live up to the expectations generated by mountains of cash. Hollywood has provided some of the best films of the year, but many others have come from overseas.

With strong showings across pretty much all genres and encompassing many different styles, there has been something for everyone this year. So what's been your film of the year?

P.S. Due to TSR's polling system, some very worthy films had to be cut in order to get down to the 15 options. Apologies to Crazy Heart, The Road, Restrepo, How To Train Your Dragon, Exit Through The Gift Shop and The Secrets in Their Eyes, among others.
        This is some next biased list. Where is SAW 3D? Red? Buried?...

(Original post by llpokermuffinll)
          This is some next biased list. Where is SAW 3? Red? Buried?...
          Saw 3 came out years ago. Red is not better than the films on the list. Buried is already on the list. :erm:

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
          Saw 3 came out years ago. Red is not better than the films on the list. Buried is already on the list. :erm:
          SAW 3DDDDDDDDDD fyi!

ReputationRep:
          Zombieland was last year.

Spoiler:
          Show
          Cameo in Zombieland was awesome
          Oh dear, time flies, eh? :facepalm:

SAW 3DDDDDDDDDD fyi!
            Why not say that? Saw 7 wasn't, to be honest - and many would agree, better than the films selected for the list. The franchise went downhill a long time ago. It's nice to see some fresh films in for voting instead.

Also Phalanges included an "Other" option in the poll. You can select that and then say "Saw 3D".

ReputationRep:
            Inception gets my vote. I found it very hard to decide between it and Shutter Island.

ReputationRep:
            and anyway, Saw is awful now. 7 films in as many years? really? It should have stopped at Saw 3

ReputationRep:
            This is some next biased list. Where is SAW 3D? Red? Buried?...
            I tried not to make it biased by consulting other people and picking films from a variety of genres. If I just wanted to do my favourite films I'd probably have changed about 4 or 5 films from that list...

As for Saw 3D and Red not being included, well obviously I can't account for every eventuality. But I highly doubt most people considered one of those two films to be one of the best films of the year. As for Buried, I think you'll find it's included...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
          Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
          Useful resources
        • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
          Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.