Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Has anyone ever rejected an Oxbridge offer? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juzjump)
    lad in my school rejected oxford as he got another offer from MIT in america, physics i think he did
    I'm sure everyone would choose MIT over Oxford, especially for physics

ReputationRep:
    I personally know someone who turned down a place to read medicine at Cambridge- both UCL and Imperial are very attractive alternatives for medicine , professionally and socially.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Lad)
    Yes. As I said, he was considered 'Oxbridge material' by his school and he is an absolute genius. He would have most likely been offered a place at Oxbridge if he applied.
    Lol.

I know several people who were "dead certs" to be offered a place and then were not accepted. My best friend was rejected for Maths, absolute genius, got A*A*A* at A-Level, whatever the top grade in STEP is, did well in his GCSEs compared to the school he came from, and he didn't get in.

If you can't tell for maths, you can't really tell for anything.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. As I said, he was considered 'Oxbridge material' by his school and he is an absolute genius. He would have most likely been offered a place at Oxbridge if he applied.
    Naaah you can't say that. I would say I'm Oxbridge material as would my peers and teachers, but I'm not going to say I would be certain to get a place.....
    (I'm not applying there because they don't do the course I want to do...damn them )

ReputationRep:
    There was a lad in my Further Maths group who got in Oxford for Maths and turned it down to go to Durham with his girlfriend. She had applied for Oxford as well and he said when they applied that if he got in and she didn't, he'd go where she did (it was always more likely that he would get in because he was an obvious high flier). He got a lot of flak off his parents and teachers but he didn't care, his girlfriend felt awful though when she got rejected because she thought she'd cost him his place at Oxford. I remember thinking at the time "whats going to happen if you two split up between now and going to Durham!"

They stayed together till they went but then they split up in the first term. However he didn't seem to be bitter about it, he was one of those lads who just had a good attitude to everything, he soon found a new girlfriend at Durham and he did well there, so I don't think he majorly had any regrets about it.

ReputationRep:
    Yep.
    The professors were lovely, the students on the other hand..
    I had never felt quite so belittled, a lot of the other applicants were simply, horribly demeaning.

Oh and I fell utterly head over heels with Durham

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mummyperson)
    I personally know someone who turned down a place to read medicine at Cambridge- both UCL and Imperial are very attractive alternatives for medicine , professionally and socially.
    True that true that. Plus there isn't much disparity between medicine schools as there is with other subjects.....otherwise the NHS would be ****ed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mann18)
    So he didn't reject an offer, he didn't apply at all.
    Yes. As I said, he was considered 'Oxbridge material' by his school and he is an absolute genius. However, he loved Leeds Uni when he visited it. He would have most likely been offered a place at Oxbridge if he applied.

ReputationRep:
    My maths teacher left Cambridge to go to Warwick, he's also a mental religionist.

ReputationRep:
    He would have most likely been offered a place at Oxbridge if he applied.
    :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juzjump)
    lad in my school rejected oxford as he got another offer from MIT in america, physics i think he did
    now that's perfectly understandable it's MIT :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I remember a Cambridge admissions tutor telling us about a girl who used her English offer as an insurance. He sounded incredulous, it was quite amusing really. Although to be fair, I would probably react in a similar fashion if someone told me they were putting Cambridge as their insurance!

ReputationRep:
    There seems to be several people here that know others who have rejected Oxbridge to go to Durham.

ReputationRep:
    A boy at my school did last year, probably something to do with his Harvard and Yale offers...
    And one of my teachers who was going to go, but then his dad died and he had to go to work instead of uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hayheyley)
    I remember a Cambridge admissions tutor telling us about a girl who used her English offer as an insurance. He sounded incredulous, it was quite amusing really. Although to be fair, I would probably react in a similar fashion if someone told me they were putting Cambridge as their insurance!
    Haha that's classic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mann18)
    Lol.

I know several people who were "dead certs" to be offered a place and then were not accepted. My best friend was rejected for Maths, absolute genius, got A*A*A* at A-Level, whatever the top grade in STEP is, did well in his GCSEs compared to the school he came from, and he didn't get in.

If you can't tell for maths, you can't really tell for anything.
    If this is this year, the competition is craaazy! Last year 4/6 from my school got in for Oxford maths, this year 0/5...

ReputationRep:
    I am going to be putting Oxford as my insurance after Imperial College.

Edit:
    Woops, changed my mind...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marsha2112)
    If this is this year, the competition is craaazy! Last year 4/6 from my school got in for Oxford maths, this year 0/5...
    This was last year.

But, I know of people for maths with AAA who got in the same year.

ReputationRep:
    The students with the highest grades or the most naturally talented students don't necessarily want to apply to Oxbridge. It's perfectly possible that, for all Oxbridge's fame and guaranteed high ranking in league tables, the majority of AAA+ students don't. There are a number of reasons including:

1) Oxford or Cambridge don't teach the particular course that they want to study.
    2) Oxford or Cambridge don't appeal to them as cities in which to study - or other cities might appeal to them more in a variety of respects. For instance, some might conclude that The Castle in Durham attracts a lot of particular competition and therefore potentially a higher calibre of student than some colleges at Oxford or Cambridge.
    3) Some other university might seem better than Oxbridge for a particular subject when the student looks at the particular staff who are teaching there at the time and the particular facilities that are available for that subject.
    4) The course content at another university might appeal to them more.
    5) An open day might reveal more engaging staff and students at other universities for that particular student's purposes.

I knew someone who applied to Cambridge, was accepted (I think that it was for English) and chose to go to Durham instead (The Castle). Apart from Durham being pretty and the accommodation not being half bad, this is possibly partly because Durham is relatively close by and he wanted to became a vicar, which Durham obviously has good standing in (his college being just across the way from Durham Cathedral). But English at Durham is possibly more competitive in some years than some Oxford or Cambridge colleges anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fallen)
    I am going to be putting Oxford as my insurance after Imperial College.
    How come? (I'm not going to do an imsoacademic on you, just genuinely interested, I don't know much about comp sci)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.