The Student Room Group

What sort of grades to Magic Circle firms look for?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I know for a fact if you get a first in your degree, Clifford Chance don't even look at your academics and you automatically get 3/3 points for that section - not sure where all this 'I've only got 10 A*'s at GCSE' nonsense has came from?
Reply 21
Original post by jacketpotato
You have a chance at MC firms, but would be a below-average applicant so would need to do plenty of well researched applications, do what you can to improve your desirability as an applicant and hope for the best.

You certainly have a great chance of picking up a decent TC in London

Out of curiosity, what puts him below average? I would have thought a 2:i from St Andrews was probably on par with a 2:i from the redbricks, and AAAABB at higher is pretty strong. Is the average calibre for MC more like redbrick first/Oxbridge 2:i or better?
Original post by jjarvis
Out of curiosity, what puts him below average? I would have thought a 2:i from St Andrews was probably on par with a 2:i from the redbricks, and AAAABB at higher is pretty strong. Is the average calibre for MC more like redbrick first/Oxbridge 2:i or better?

There are many people with worse academics than the Op, but I think the average calibre is probably more like redbrick first/Oxbridge 2:i. There are an awful lot of Oxbridge grads in MC firms, I'd guess about 40% of my intake. No reason he can't get a TC on those academics, but the market has become very competitive.
Reply 23
Original post by jacketpotato
There are many people with worse academics than the Op, but I think the average calibre is probably more like redbrick first/Oxbridge 2:i. There are an awful lot of Oxbridge grads in MC firms, I'd guess about 40% of my intake. No reason he can't get a TC on those academics, but the market has become very competitive.

Ah, ok. Fair dos. As someone with a first degree from a Scottish uni, I was slightly perturbed!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending