Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J_Alom)
    So if I were to buy the 5 books and work through them slowly ( book 1 in summer), do you think I can do it myself or would I need a teacher? what was your experience like?
    I learnt Latin at school, 1 book per year over 3 years. Didn't do GCSE. My grammar will be fairly poor now, but I've found quite a lot of the vocab has stayed with me, and it is useful now (as a medical student). Learning Latin will probably improve your vocabulary in English too - it certainly should, since around half of our language is from Latin.

There is a lot of content and learning up to book 5 won't be easy. Probably best to start off with the first couple and see how it goes. Make sure you don't cut corners with tenses and verb conjugation or it will be too hard to move on. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I decided to self-teach a bit of Latin (reading, not interested in speaking it) on a whim a couple of months ago - I looked online at some books and eventually decided on "Getting Started With Latin" by William E. Linney. I'd definitely recommend it. It starts nice and slowly and doesn't throw verb tables at you. It's basically divided into a number of 'lessons' where each one builds on the previous one - so you start by being told how to say "I", then "I am", then "I am a sailor" and so on, so forth until you've got a nice vocabulary built up.

I think the aim is to teach you latin up to a basic (say GCSE) level which you can then supplement with other more advanced books.

I've not finished it yet but I've enjoyed the book so far. Another nice thing is that there's pages in between the lessons that explain what various well known or commonly used Latin phrases mean which is quite interesting. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blahblah16)
    Not at first. I'm pretty sure you could quite easily get through the first 2 on your own but with 3rd - 5th it's quite tricky. I wouldn't buy them all straight away though incase you don't like it or find it hard
    I've ordered the first one; will see how it goes from there.

ReputationRep:
    hi I'm doing higher Latin just now; I love it - Latin is sooo great! Anyway we use the Oxford Latin Course which is fab. We don't have to learn any vocab for our exams, but even so I've found I have a pretty good grasp of most common words from doing tons of translations (part of the exam) so I would suggest learning the basic rules of grammar - i.e. bam, bas, bat etc. - and the noun declensions then with a bit of practise you could be translating memorials left right and centre
    xx

ReputationRep:
    www.latinsos.co.uk is good

ReputationRep:
    Another good book is Essential GCSE Latin by John Taylor. It explains all of the grammar you'd need for a GCSE, and has plenty of practice questions.

ReputationRep:
    So I want to teach myself Latin (GCSE and upto A-level standard)- but I want to do it without going to classes or paying for a tutor.

If anyone has done latin, could they recommend any books that I could use?

N.B: I dont have a time limit, I want to learn for the sake of it.

Thanks in advance!
    Ah, I just want to say I love this thread. Thank you to the people who have posted - this is exactly what I want to do over the next summer, so I feel like I've got a lot of resources.

And thank you for asking the question to begin with - it's been plaguing me where to find textbooks/courses without a tutor.

ReputationRep:
    Getting started with Latin - for home schooled students of any age - William E. Linney

You will master the first two declensions, the 4 verb conjugations in the present tense+infinitive, adverbs(of nature and quantity), propositions, the verbs 'to be' and the verb 'to be able'. You start with the simple phrase: nauta ego sum - I am a sailor. In 8 hours you've more or less completed most of KS3 latin grammar, the hardest part.

After that I suggest you take a break to consolidate and grow vocabulary - the required terms are on the OCR website. Once that is complete try and get a tutor if you’re not hardcore methodical because the next part is absolute evil. Buy a Dictionary, copy the endings for the future tense, then passive, then impassive, pluperfect... ad nausiem. You will be following your own self taught method by now so stick with whatever you choose.

Concerning you learning vocabulary, I found the style in the book helps. For every word learnt create a test for future reference.

Amo -are -avi
    1. <This sentence will have your word in a certain tense> amo patriam quod populus patriae amat.
    2. <This sentence will have your word in a different tense> labor est amor?
    3. <This sentence will have your word in yet another tense> Non possum ego amore vetus
    4. <short unrelated sentence>
    5. <long unrelated sentence>
    6. <sentence from a recently learnt grammar form>
    7. <another sentence from a recently learnt grammar form >
    8. <A phrase, quote or a saying>

I'm doing my AS next year – I learnt my GCSE latin in under a year this way.

ReputationRep:
    So I want to teach myself Latin (GCSE and upto A-level standard)- but I want to do it without going to classes or paying for a tutor.

Thanks in advance!
    I learnt Latin myself
    I used Galore Park - So you really want to learn Latin- series. They have answers to exercises so you can self -assess.

ReputationRep:
    I self taught myself Latin A level after studying GCSE at school, and the A2 was an absolute *****. So many passsages to learn by heart... gosh that was 6 years ago now!

But the GCSE is pretty neat, when I did it there was a module on Roman Life alongside the translations and essay questions. I used the Cambridge Guide, which people are the most famliar with probably. A good latin dictionary is a decent thing to have as well as the poetry anthology (loved Catullus' poems!)

I used to be such a Latin geek in the day I don't know what happened! Maybe I'll brush up on it again

ReputationRep:
    Well I am basically self-teaching latin (I get one 45 min lesson every week after school). We use the Cambridge Latin Course books (this is for gcse) http://www.cambridgescp.com/Lpage.php?p=clc^top^home and they're good, especially the website.

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing I can say which hasn't already been said, but good luck with self-teaching yourself Latin! I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did.

ReputationRep:
    DeeWave is right.

By far the best text books are the Cambridge Latin Course. It starts with simple sentences perfect for beginners which enable you to eventually have the ability to translate English to Latin and translate many famous Roman works.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EEngWillow)
    Definitely. And of course, "Matella est in atrio", "Quintus est in triclinio" etc.
    Grr, that family needs to die.
    Oh wait, volcano. :giggle:

EDIT: Wait, volcano was Pliny :< Grr.
    Yeah but the end of the first book was pretty horrific. I liked it when Quintus and Clemens had to fight off the gangs.

Virgil is evil though.

ReputationRep:
    And let's not forget about the ghosts which sent everyone running through the city.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FranticMind)
    Yeah but the end of the first book was pretty horrific. I liked it when Quintus and Clemens had to fight off the gangs.

Virgil is evil though.
    Virgil is definitely evil. If I ever have to see the Aeneid again, I will not be held responsible for my actions. Give me Cicero any day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EEngWillow)
    Virgil is definitely evil. If I ever have to see the Aeneid again, I will not be held responsible for my actions. Give me Cicero any day.
    Is it wrong that I actually enjoyed Virgil?!

ReputationRep:
    Be prepared for a lot of irritation - and a feeling of superiority

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AutumnChappy)
    Is it wrong that I actually enjoyed Virgil?!
    I dunno - but Cicero was gooood, as his rhetorical questions were so easy to translate

To OP: one must study literature at A-Level(don't know about GCSE, went straight to A-Level). I'm at AS-Level and have just finished one of Cicero's speeches. It's all politics and stuff, also a great insight into modern-day political intrigue.

ReputationRep:

Thanks in advance!
    I started learning Latin last year, first time ever, largely self taught apart from 1/2 hr a week. we use the cambridge latin course, its quite a popular one i think, but tbh we dont do much at all. the latin gcse (well, ocr anyway) is incredibly easy, certainly if youve done languages. its only reading and translation, you get a vocab list (ie you only have to learn those words on the vocab list), for the prose sections you can literally just learn the short translations and you dont really need to even know the grammar...most of it you can just deduct, because you're only ever translating into english. i got nearly 100% last year in 2 of the gcse modules after 1/2 yr of irregular latin. go for it!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.