Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

[UPDATE: Discussion] AS OCR Critical Thinking Unit 1 January 10 2011 Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by U4EA)
    I have absolutely no idea my friend, the notes I typed out was all we were given for the last question. You sound more prepared than all of us though!
    Okay, thanks anyway. I've had time to prepare because I haven't any other exams tomorrow because I'm still only doing GCSE. And good luck to you all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkw)
    Okay, thanks anyway. I've had time to prepare because I haven't any other exams tomorrow because I'm still only doing GCSE. And good luck to you all.
    Well, I have no exams either (cos i din't chose any modular AS) and I haven't revised. I was going to but....

Ah well...I'm going to toddle off and do some now Good luck everyone

ReputationRep:
    **** me sideways. That was quite easily the hardest exam I've ever taken. I couldn't even identify the argument/reasons/argument element! I felt that Section B went quite well, so that's good, but I had to do the plausibility bit in about three minutes and briefly rumbled about the poor evidence and corroboration of claims against the bursary award schemes as a factor in improved employment opportunities. Counting on the retake in summer! How do you all felt it went?

ReputationRep:
    Who cares?
    It's an exam in common sense, my school enters people for the exam without them having any lessons.
    It's a waste of time and all it does is make people spend less time revising for exams that actually matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by should be revising)
    Who cares?
    It's an exam in common sense, my school enters people for the exam without them having any lessons.
    It's a waste of time and all it does is make people spend less time revising for exams that actually matter.
    :horse:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by U4EA)
    **** me sideways. That was quite easily the hardest exam I've ever taken. I couldn't even identify the argument/reasons/argument element! I felt that Section B went quite well, so that's good, but I had to do the plausibility bit in about three minutes and briefly rumbled about the poor evidence and corroboration of claims against the bursary award schemes as a factor in improved employment opportunities. Counting on the retake in summer! How do you all felt it went?
    Yeah, did not go too well due to time. On the last question, I wrote decently about the credibility side I think but just fell apart because of time and so only wrote a few liens about plausibility. I used the credibility criteria of 'Reputation' in that first part on assessing the relative credibility.

What did you put for the three argument indicators? And can you remember what you put for the main conclusion (the very first question). And lastly, what did you put the argument element as?
    Also, is it 80% for an A?

ReputationRep:
    i also did the exam
    i know i put since but i cant remember the other argument indicators I wrote :/ What assumption did everyone put?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bertiejess)
    i also did the exam
    i know i put since but i cant remember the other argument indicators I wrote :/ What assumption did everyone put?
    There is an assumption that because it is supported by top employers and government departments that it will be somewhat beneficial after completion (that may not have been exactly what I put but thats the general jist of it)

ReputationRep:
    What did everyone right for the main conclusion?!

ReputationRep:
    i also did the exam
    I think I put since, also and dispite
    and I put something like the person will want to get a job at one of the 'leading organisations' which im confident isnt right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Freddie_Sugden)
    Yeah, did not go too well due to time. On the last question, I wrote decently about the credibility side I think but just fell apart because of time and so only wrote a few liens about plausibility. I used the credibility criteria of 'Reputation' in that first part on assessing the relative credibility.

What did you put for the three argument indicators? And can you remember what you put for the main conclusion (the very first question). And lastly, what did you put the argument element as?
    Also, is it 80% for an A?
    'As', 'so' and 'since', if I can remember correctly. I chose the very first statement of Document 1 as the main conclusion, which is most definitely incorrect. I put the argument element as a reason, which I think is correct. And yes, it should be.

i also did the exam
    That the award schemes would provide entertainment for those who sign up (weak assumption, yes, but it was there).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by U4EA)

That the award schemes would provide entertainment for those who sign up (weak assumption, yes, but it was there).
    I put that too!

ReputationRep:
    Is there a solutions document for this anywhere? I just found the solutions to the maths C1 and it was incredibly helpful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by U4EA)
    'As', 'so' and 'since', if I can remember correctly.
    I think I got the same, not 100% sure though.
    I chose the very first statement of Document 1 as the main conclusion, which is most definitely incorrect.
    I chose the final statement (about how it will help participants gain skills or somthing), but it could have been the part about the government introducing the scheme.
    I put the argument element as a reason, which I think is correct.
    I also chose reason.
    I think I put something along the lines of that, but I think I added a bit about feeling guilty as well - I'm not sure if I've accidently put two assumptions :s

ReputationRep:
    For the three argument indicators, I wrote: "despite", "as" and "since". For my main conclusion I wrote the sentence in Document 1's first paragraph of the graduates attaining better skills... I can't remember the quote itself.
    My assumption was that the schemes must be enjoyable, but judging by other posts, my answer was wrong.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I said the element was an assertion - I also mentioned something about guilt for the assumption as in since it is worthwhile there is no guilt.... I was self- learning so :/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.