Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My ultimate cheap bulk-making recipes thread. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insignificant)
    For those really hard done by: Pasta with pesto, bacon and peas. (10 portions)

Recipe: Boil half a bag of pasta. Fry bacon. Boil Peas. Drain everything, and mix together along with a spoonful of pesto. TA DA.

£3.58/10 = 35 pence a portion.
    I'm definitely going to be trying this I've been trying to keep to a budget of £10 a week so we shall see how this changes things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Welsh_insomniac)
    I'm definitely going to be trying this I've been trying to keep to a budget of £10 a week so we shall see how this changes things.
    Glad I've helped someone try put more veg in please so I don't feel it's that unhealthy!

ReputationRep:
    A LOT of Mac n Cheese

4.89 for a weeks worth = 68p a day.

ReputationRep:
    Do you keep all of these dishes in the freezer for the rest of the week? I can't imagine that Macaroni Cheese would freeze very well...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hmjessop)
    Do you keep all of these dishes in the freezer for the rest of the week? I can't imagine that Macaroni Cheese would freeze very well...
    Yes you can put them all in the freezer, and if you defrost the macaroni cheese in the oven it should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Spaghetti Carbonara (about ten portions)

Recipe: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2...etti-carbonara

£5.05/10 portions = 50p a portion.

Obviously dont freeze the spaghetti just the sauce, divide it into however many portions you like.

ReputationRep:
    For when you feel homesick, Apple pie

Recipe: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/ma...operappl_67463

ReputationRep:
    do thanks for your sharing....

ReputationRep:
    Spicy root & lentil casserole (vegetarian) 8 Portions.

Recipe: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1...ntil-casserole

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

(and 50p for low fat yoghurt)

= £6.67/8= 83 pence a portion.

ReputationRep:
    So many of these look great, wish I'd found you before my food tech GCSE, would have saved me a fortune

Thanks for sharing, keep it up! (yum, apple pie <3)

....rock cakes are good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insignificant)
    A LOT of Mac n Cheese

4.89 for a weeks worth = 68p a day.
    I've never seen mac n cheese made like that? I don't see how you can make the cheese sauce without adding flour - and what are the eggs for?

(Good thread though!).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum9999)
    I've never seen mac n cheese made like that? I don't see how you can make the cheese sauce without adding flour - and what are the eggs for?

(Good thread though!).

I guess the eggs (or well, the yolk) is used insted of the flour. Though I have never made proper mac n cheese so I don't know if that is a big no no (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skyja)
    I guess the eggs (or well, the yolk) is used insted of the flour. Though I have never made proper mac n cheese so I don't know if that is a big no no (:
    Oh, is that meant to taste nicer? I just make it the normal way (white sauce - flour and milk, then melt cheese in it). It would be cheaper the normal way as well as the flour would be something ridiculous like 5p at most!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum9999)
    Oh, is that meant to taste nicer? I just make it the normal way (white sauce - flour and milk, then melt cheese in it). It would be cheaper the normal way as well as the flour would be something ridiculous like 5p at most!
    No I don't think that it would make it taste nicer really. I guess it's a good alternative though if someone wants to cut down on the wheet products. :dontknow:
    I wouldn't recommend using egg though for a recipe like that (:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 15, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.