Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why is the iPhone 4 so expensive? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Because it's from Apple, so people will buy it.

ReputationRep:
    The Samsung is not the same as an iPhone.

You can compare specs but it's the operating system that makes the iPhone easy and nice to use.

Samsung will never be able to compete.

ReputationRep:
    It's all in the marketing. Even if you hate apple, you have to admit they are top of their game in the promotions and marketing department. Everything is aimed at being simple and sleek, which is what people who don't understand tech want. And by only having one model they have turned the phone into a distinctive fashion accessory, which is what every phone manufacturer has aimed at for the last 20 years without success.

ReputationRep:
    Because Apple are complete rip-off merchants

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadow99)
    The Samsung is not the same as an iPhone.

You can compare specs but it's the operating system that makes the iPhone easy and nice to use.

Samsung will never be able to compete.
    Maybe, but the Galaxy S is a close runner to the iPhone, probably of any smartphone on the market.

ReputationRep:
    Because Steve Jobs knows people would buy it even if it was sold with excrement all over the screen and with a signal problem that means you can't call people.
    Oh no wait, that last one really happened. How does he get away with this s***?

ReputationRep:
    If people are buying it, they're making money.

If the same amount of people buy it and it costs a little more, THEY GET MORE MONEY.
    Did you have to actually type a question on here to work out its to do with money?

ReputationRep:
    Because apple know that there are enough people who will literally write them a blank cheque in order to get their hands on the iphone 4 that they can charge what they want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jthlm)
    I don't know if this is technically true or not, but certainly in my eyes and in a lot of others', you would be hard-pressed to find a better phone than the iPhone, in particular the iPhone 4 :yep:
    Oh dear....

ReputationRep:
    Better hardware Higher margins

ReputationRep:
    "Logogogogogogogogo go get me money" as I believe Steve Jobs put it.

Seriously though, it's a shame that many people can't afford it because it does have some seriously good features. I've had a Desire and I personally find no comparison can be made with the apps. I'm just happy with my investment, the main reason I chose my IP4 over the Desire is because when it comes to selling it when I would like a newer phone it will have held its value far better.

But again, that's because it's an apple device

ReputationRep:
    Except the desire holds it value as good as if not better than the iPhone.

I bought my desire nearly a year ago when they first came out, for 350 offline sim free. Sim free unlocked second hand desires on eBay sell on average for 320 now.

I also had a 3gs, 500 quid new, they sell used a year later for 280

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markuk99)
    Except the desire holds it value as good as if not better than the iPhone.

I bought my desire nearly a year ago when they first came out, for 350 offline sim free. Sim free unlocked second hand desires on eBay sell on average for 320 now.
    A standard desire??
    Meh, try 240 quid and you are getting closer...

ReputationRep:
    It is made of dreams.

ReputationRep:
    because people are sheep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H.C. Chinaski)
    A standard desire??
    Meh, try 240 quid and you are getting closer...
    Buy it now used unlocked appears to average 300 quid. So its lost 50 quid in a year. Much less than the iPhone

ReputationRep:
    Buy it now used unlocked appears to average 300 quid. So its lost 50 quid in a year. Much less than the iPhone
    who ever pays "Buy it now" prices??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    It is made of dreams.
    Unicorn dreams :yep:

ReputationRep:
    The galaxy s isnt much cheaper to buy offline in the UK. It is about £500 quid, a similar price to the iphone4.

However the galaxy s actually costs more in parts and compenents due to its better hardware (processor, graphics chip, super-amoled screen, better front facing camera etc).

However build costs are the same because apple source their compents from cheap third parties which ramps the cost up (screen made by budget brand LG, processer made by samsung, graphics chip samsung's older chip etc, built in third party factories in china, samsung build their phones in house themselves)

The main reason for the price difference is that apple take a bigger profit.
    I love the fact you have neg rep, when everything you said is 100% correct!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by siwelmail)
    If people are buying it, they're making money.

If the same amount of people buy it and it costs a little more, THEY GET MORE MONEY.
    Did you have to actually type a question on here to work out its to do with money?
    Thats the dumbest thing I've ever had the joy of reading.
    People are still going to have to buy milk, so shall we put it up to £10 a pint?!

Apple charge more because of their guaranteed fanbase. (which, for any other company, would infact drive prices down... But on no, not the Apple.)

Anyway, the iPhone isn't that expensive at all!
    It just doesn't seem to come down in price. And all its priceplans are a joke!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.