Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Did you like Forrest Gump? Watch

ReputationRep:
    It is overly sentimental, melodramatic and simplistic. It celebrates being ignorant and blindly doing what you are told, with the seeming message being that as long as you do your best and embrace the system, then everything will work out fine. Its choice of political events - usually involving the USA winning at things - sells the idea of the US as a world leader. It features a quintessential American-dream story of hard work rags to riches, with his fishing entrepreneurship, followed by a quintessential "buying stocks and shares makes you good" story with his success investing in Apple.

Jenny flirts with counter-culture and the left and ends up with an abusive boyfriend as a result. Forrest Gump returns from Vietnam a war hero, beats up her left wing hippie boyfriend, and takes her away.

It is interesting and well made, but saying "the film is not political" is a statement I would disagree with in the strongest possible terms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edd360)
    I have seen Requiem for a Dream out of your list. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Forrest Gump is the most depressing film I have seen, it's just not a film I would choose to watch most of the time. I prefer watching feel good movies :3 But from time to time a dose of depressing movies is ok...just have to find the right time. Titanic and The Butterfly Effect are another couple of movies which this is true for as well, the latter being my favourite movie of all time, but I could never watch it on a regular basis.
    Ah ok, I don't see Forest Gump as a depressing movie myself, but we are all different.

Have you seen Grave of the Fireflies? I actually, honestly felt depressed for a few days after watching that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AidyD)
    Ah ok, I don't see Forest Gump as a depressing movie myself, but we are all different.

Have you seen Grave of the Fireflies? I actually, honestly felt depressed for a few days after watching that...
    I guess Forrest Gump isn't all tat depressing, but it's definitely not joyful enough for me to want to watch it over and over And no I haven't even heard of it, not sure if I want to after hearing your experience with it :/ Ill keep the name of it handy though in case I change my mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    One of the best films ever made. Iconic, and fully deserving of it's Oscars.

Although the way they treated Winston Groom was absolutely shameful.
    What did they do to Winston Groom?

ReputationRep:
    i like it id say its my favourite tom hanks movie there is just a certain innocence to it that captivates you and i love in the storyline the way they tie in things into forrest's life like buying shares in apple and the t-shirt with the muddy smiley face & **** happens

i really like cast away, the terminal,catch me if you can,the green mile,saving private ryan, & big

i think if you love forrest gump big is a defo watch aswell

to this day whenever i see anyone running i shout " Run Forrrest Run"

ReputationRep:
    can't remember what happened lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AidyD)

i seen grave of the fireflies .... i liked but i know what you mean it was sad

did you ever see sleepers ?? its a really really sad movie what happens in it but its a good movie aswell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rescue Remedy)
    i seen grave of the fireflies .... i liked but i know what you mean it was sad

did you ever see sleepers ?? its a really really sad movie what happens in it but its a good movie aswell
    Ah yea with Brad Pitt yea? Thats nasty in some places too... Im fighting with myself not to hijack this thread with 'Have you seen [Insert depressing movie]'?

ReputationRep:
    One of those films I never get tired of watching.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AidyD)
    Ah yea with Brad Pitt yea? Thats nasty in some places too... Im fighting with myself not to hijack this thread with 'Have you seen [Insert depressing movie]'?
    ya thats the one its sad but good like.... i got it on dvd and read the book based on a true story like

dont fight do it much better movie discussion i think

ReputationRep:
    My 2nd favourite film of all time.

ReputationRep:
    One of the best movies I watched, it's up there with Shawshank Redemption.

ReputationRep:
    Mm, love that film. Seen it way too many times.

I love how they made Tom Hanks fit into all those old news reels- pretty impressive considering it was made 16/17 years ago, it'd be a lot easier with all the rampant CGI nowadays.

The incessant repetition of 'life's like a box of chocolates...' every time it's on does get ever so slightly irritating though.

ReputationRep:
    Loved it. Wouldn't say 'inspirational', it's just a film, afterall, but loved the 60s stuff.

ReputationRep:
    “You know it’s funny what a young man recollects, ‘cause I can’t don’t remember bein’ born, I can’t recall my first outdoor picnic but I do remember the first time I heard the sweetest voice in the wide world”

Makes me cry everytime :'(

ReputationRep:
    I usually hate super-sentimental stuff, plus this is super-conservative to boot, but it makes me feel good. Top 20 of the 90's, for sure.

ReputationRep:
    One of the best for sure.

ReputationRep:
    What's a film?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    My favourite film and I have also had the privilege of eating at a Bubba Gump restaurant. They have signs on the table saying "STOP FORREST, STOP!" if you want the waiter to come to your table and "RUN FORREST, RUN!" if you don't need their service for the time being. The shrimp was mighty fine, like a box of chocolates

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by changoo)
    I love this film?it is really inspiring...But what do you think of it?
    YEAH And the best part was when he ejaculated pahahaha

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.