Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How Will I as an American be Precieved in the UK Watch

ReputationRep:
    Either really cool or really reaaaaly stupid, in short terms.

I find some american accents pretty exotic (I know, what a word to describe an american accent, right?) but I also find some just plain annoying, boring and dull.

ReputationRep:
    You'll be fine, an internet forum is home to trolls and people who wouldn't dare be as abusive in real life, at postgrad at those universities you'll probably get one or two stupid stereotypical questions and that'll be it, at worst.

Americans are generally well received over here, although British people generally like to make a joke out of everything so if someone says something anti-American it's probably tongue in cheek.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by momoso)
    Hey,

I am seriously considering going to the UK for postgraduate study and one of of my biggest fears is not fitting in. I have a feeling that has kind of been reinforced by some of the responses on this forum that Americans are not well received in the UK especially those from the south. I'm from Texas and there have been many disparaging remarks made about Southerners and Texans on this site. Am I wrong in thinking this or does this feeling hold weight.

Thanks
    The typical stereotype of a Southern American is an inbred hillbilly racist redneck who likes to shoot his shotgun. Luckily most people nowadays can dismiss such nonsense, it'll be fine, you might get a couple of redneck jokes headed your way though, but then again that's just harmless banter

ReputationRep:
    America wouldn't be what it is today without europe, so say thank you to everyone you walk past in england

ReputationRep:
    Different, interesting and novel, but other than that, just the person you are lol x

ReputationRep:
    Don't mention the war.
    Don't mention America as a military power.
    Steer clear of Israel/Palestine, and any comments on gays, Islam or minorities.
    Attempt to dampen your accent, and don't whine about how X is better back home.

Follow those 4 simple rules, and people will give you enough of a shot to see if they like you as a person.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Don't be a typical republican.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaughingBro)
    Just don't act like a typical American redneck.
    She's black, surely no one would associate her with rednecks however she acts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    Hmm...are you a republican?

If so, you'll be eaten alive.
    Why?

Let me guess, you believe the stereotypes that all Republicans are racist/homophobic/[enter whatever other moronic assumption here]? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchild007)
    Why?

Let me guess, you believe the stereotypes that all Republicans are racist/homophobic/[enter whatever other moronic assumption here]? :rolleyes:
    Well, I believe the reality that republican administration time and time again extend their hands toward the notions of xenophobia and war mongering.

ReputationRep:
    Well I can guarantee that I am not a republican. I have voted democrat sense I was able to vote. Also I am black and female so it's not like I am some "good ole boy" praying to secede from the north. Also I am from Houston which is a large multicultural city that is the first city in the U.S. to elect an openly gay mayor who happens to be close friends with my parents so I am very much liberal. I just want people to know that the south is not a monolith, we are very diverse and in the cities very liberal it has been a long time sense the civil war and things have changed.
    Don't move to the north of england, they are generally a lot more racist, even to people from the south. Move to somewhere down south or London because that is very multicultural.

ReputationRep:
    Well I can guarantee that I am not a republican. I have voted democrat sense I was able to vote. Also I am black and female so it's not like I am some "good ole boy" praying to secede from the north. Also I am from Houston which is a large multicultural city that is the first city in the U.S. to elect an openly gay mayor who happens to be close friends with my parents so I am very much liberal. I just want people to know that the south is not a monolith, we are very diverse and in the cities very liberal it has been a long time sense the civil war and things have changed.
    As long as you don't come over here and say that to any joke that you might hear - this is the UK, and we're entitled to our stereotypes of the Yanks, thank you very much. :haughty:

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I am seriously considering going to the UK for postgraduate study and one of of my biggest fears is not fitting in. I have a feeling that has kind of been reinforced by some of the responses on this forum that Americans are not well received in the UK especially those from the south. I'm from Texas and there have been many disparaging remarks made about Southerners and Texans on this site. Am I wrong in thinking this or does this feeling hold weight.

Thanks
    well im not british im irish i love the southern drawl and i love texas i wana go do my work expierence over there or any other southern state but atm its look like a state in the north which is good but not what i want ...........

anyways i dont know what remarks have been made but everywhere you go in the world there is always broad minded people and narrow minded people and the UK has both like many other countries. I dont know how old you are but i assume your fairly young like and you would mix with a young generation in the uk if you did come over and they would prob have other things on their mind then pointing out to you your from texas everyday i think they would know you already know that !!

what i mean to say if anyone has a problem with americans in the UK its going to be all americans in general not just the ones who come from the lone star state ....... and if they do **** them just let roll off your back like a duck you know!! the culture will be different for you but thats what makes it exciting. you may get some banter like or ****ging but that will be as a joke ( well in ireland you would get it anyway) but no one would be cruel or nasty to you now

ReputationRep:
    Are you nice? If so, people will think you are nice.
    Are you horrible? If so, people will think you are horrible.
    Sure, there may be stereotypes about Americans but a) there aren't many and b) who you are as a person will influence what people think of you far more than any small pre-conceived notions. So stop worrying!

EDIT: unless you vote for the tea party candidates or are one of the people that think Obama is a muslim, in which case we'll all think you're an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    Guy from Texas moved to my old secondary school and he fitted in really well. Always bear in mind that whilst some people may take the piss out of you for being from Texas, if not that it'd probably be something else - don't take insults as personally as the British often insult mates in humour.

Things to avoid have already been mentioned, nothing pisses a European off more than an American saying that America is the best country in the world etc. Have humility and a sense of humour and you'll get along with people fine and once you're more comfortable with friends then talking about political and national stuff will be fine.

Having said that, like America, some places in Britain are rough and keep that in mind.

The previous comment about the north being more racist is bull**** by the way, after living in areas in the north and the south the south holds more prejudice (though still not much).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    Well, I believe the reality that republican administration time and time again extend their hands toward the notions of xenophobia and war mongering.
    The actions of a few, albeit vocal (largely being Tea Party activists doesn't help either) and that of Fox News reporting, is not a representative view of the wider Republican party - there are very moderate Republicans in both chambers, just see Brown (MA) for example.

I'm not trying to defend the Republicans as I classify myself as a Democrat, but needless finger-pointing and fallacious accusations help nothing (and yes I agree, at times the left is just as guilt as the right)….

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Thanks
    I love you, you're awesome. Come live with me?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't mind an American studying in the Uk

plus I like southern american accents, they're awesome :P

I assure you if you come to the Uk, you're gonna make some great friends, and as long as you have those friends then you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    i think as long as you're well educated, which are obviously are (being most the people i know make constant jokes about how stupid americans are) then you'll be fine
    and i feel that any bad reactions to americans are only in a joking way anyway, it never seems serious

ReputationRep:
    You will be fine. It's the American government people have a major problem with, not the people.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 3, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.