Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Your tutor sends it through email. No paperwork involved.

ReputationRep:
    The deadline is January 15th, so if you're applying this year you might want to hurry with the references.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asdfg0987)
    You apply as an individual on UCAS and get one of your tutors to write you a reference. No problems at all.
    thank you for answering
    just one thing i wanted to ask you that what is the reference i mean like i know what does reference means but what does he have to write in the reference
    and can i apply for the universities after i have done all of my A level exams (since i am taking all of my A levels in May/June in 2011 )
    or do i have to apply now

thank you very much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Makubex)
    I also need help applying to a University. Btw how do you actually spell it? Is it applying (the way I always write) or is it appling?
    i am sorry it is applying

ReputationRep:
    http://www.ucas.com/students/applyin...pply/reference

For oct 2011 entry you need to apply with your predicted grades by Jan 15. So you have around two weeks to get your personal statemetn + reference etc. sorted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melanie-v)
    The deadline is January 15th, so if you're applying this year you might want to hurry with the references.
    hi
    so if i don't apply to the university in January is that going to be a problem
    because i heard foorm someone that you can apply right after you finish your A level exams
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bregaied)
    hi
    because i heard foorm someone that you can apply right after you finish your A level exams
    They might consider your application if it's received by 30th June but they don't have to unless you send it off before 15th January. If I were you I'd try and get it in in the next fortnight if you want to start this September. Otherwise you're going to find it hard to get in where you want and might be stuck with whatever's left in clearing.

ReputationRep:
    thank you really very much for your answer
    i will be giving three A level exams all together that means like 16 to 18 exams
    so i will apply to the university after my A level results come right?
    You can apply with predicted grades if you want to. If you won't have any AS results to declare, the predicted grades will be especially important.

ReputationRep:
    hi
    Yes, you can, but if you apply then, that will be in the next application cycle, with the current year 12s, and you'll have to take a gap year (you'll also have the higher fees).

If you apply after the 15th, your application won't get "equal consideration" - they might or might not ignore it, and if it's the choice between you and someone else, they'll take someone else.
    There are some Art and Design courses with a March 24th deadline apparently, but I don't know about those. The Medicine, Cambridge ad Oxford deadlines were October 15th.

There's something called 'adjustment' after people get their results, but you can only do it if you apply normally, get an offer, firm it, then get better grades. It's not for you, to put it bluntly.

You know that for undergraduate university you apply via UCAS, right? I'll assume your an undergrad-to-be. Look at this:
    http://www.ucas.ac.uk/parents/applying/whentoapply

If you apply whenever and get rejected by 5 universities, you can go through Clearing and then Extra, but those don't have all courses and universities.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you can, but if you apply then, that will be in the next application cycle, with the current year 12s, and you'll have to take a gap year (you'll also have the higher fees).

If you apply after the 15th, your application won't get "equal consideration" - they might or might not ignore it, and if it's the choice between you and someone else, they'll take someone else.
    There are some Art and Design courses with a March 24th deadline apparently, but I don't know about those. The Medicine, Cambridge ad Oxford deadlines were October 15th.

There's something called 'adjustment' after people get their results, but you can only do it if you apply normally, get an offer, firm it, then get better grades. It's not for you, to put it bluntly.

You know that for undergraduate university you apply via UCAS, right? I'll assume your an undergrad-to-be. Look at this:
    http://www.ucas.ac.uk/parents/applying/whentoapply

If you apply whenever and get rejected by 5 universities, you can go through Clearing and then Extra, but those don't have all courses and universities.
    hey thanks for you answer

so does this rule which is applying before January 15 work with all the universities in the world because i heard from a guy who studies in university of Toronto which is in Canada and he told me that you should apply at least 2 months before September or right after you have finished your A level exams
    so are the rules different with each country

i really thank you for helping me so much

ReputationRep:

so does this rule which is applying before January 15 work with all the universities in the world because i heard from a guy who studies in university of Toronto which is in Canada and he told me that you should apply at least 2 months before September or right after you have finished your A level exams

Please read the stickied threads at the top of the forum - links also in my sig below.

The timings we have explained to you in this and your other thread relate to the UCAS system and no other. We have no expertise on application systems in other countries, although there is some information in the International Study forum.

ReputationRep:
    There's no problem as long as you have a tutor for reference

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva)
    Please read the stickied threads at the top of the forum - links also in my sig below.

The timings we have explained to you in this and your other thread relate to the UCAS system and no other. We have no expertise on application systems in other countries, although there is some information in the International Study forum.
    i really thank you very much for helping
    do you know a site just like this where i can get the information for applying to the university , like any American or Canadian or Australian sites

one of my friend os going to go to the leeds university so thats why i wanted to know about the ucas application

ReputationRep:

It's different for different countries and universities. For the USA, the deadline is tomorrow. For McGill in Canada, it's January 15th I think. I haven't looked at any others. If you hurry, you should definitely be able to get an application off to McGill in time.
    For Germany, it's later in the year, but it varies a little by course and university.
    For Australia, it says this: If you want to be considered for admission to semester 1 courses (starting in February/March 2011), you are encouraged to submit your application by 29 October 2010. Applications will be accepted until 3 February 2011 for semester 1 courses. Remember that some courses, particularly those with additional selection criteria, have early closing dates.

Some American/Canadian universities recommend applying after you have your results, for the next year, because in the US system people already have heir results when applying.

ReputationRep:
    It's different for different countries and universities. For the USA, the deadline is tomorrow. For McGill in Canada, it's January 15th I think. I haven't looked at any others. If you hurry, you should definitely be able to get an application off to McGill in time.
    For Germany, it's later in the year, but it varies a little by course and university.
    For Australia, it says this: If you want to be considered for admission to semester 1 courses (starting in February/March 2011), you are encouraged to submit your application by 29 October 2010. Applications will be accepted until 3 February 2011 for semester 1 courses. Remember that some courses, particularly those with additional selection criteria, have early closing dates.

Some American/Canadian universities recommend applying after you have your results, for the next year, because in the US system people already have heir results when applying.
    hi can you please tell me since the deadlines is tomorrow for the American universities
    if i do not apply can i still go to an american university even if their dates have been passed

because one of my friends did that he is now in America studying in a university
    so he told me that after he finished with his A level exams in June he then applied in the university and then he got admission

so can you please tell me how should i do it

many many thanks to you

ReputationRep:

so can i still apply and go to the university in UK after i have finished my A level exams which is by june

ReputationRep:
    so can i still apply and go to the university in UK after i have finished my A level exams which is by june
    You can apply now, with predicted grades for your A levels. If unis are interested they will make you offers based on those predicted grades. If you meet the terms of any offer you accept as your firm choice (or your insurance choice if you miss your firm offer) you will have a place at that university for September/October 2011. If you fail to meet the terms of both your firm and your insurance choices you will be eligible for Clearing.

Please read the threads I linked you to - these explain the application procedure, as does the information on the UCAS website, for that matter.

ReputationRep:
    You can apply now, with predicted grades for your A levels. If unis are interested they will make you offers based on those predicted grades. If you meet the terms of any offer you accept as your firm choice (or your insurance choice if you miss your firm offer) you will have a place at that university for September/October 2011. If you fail to meet the terms of both your firm and your insurance choices you will be eligible for Clearing.

Please read the threads I linked you to - these explain the application procedure, as does the information on the UCAS website, for that matter.
    hey thanks
    and i have read the thread and thank you very much for providing me with that UCAS apllication website
    hey and one thing which i wanted to ask you that i have actually done my IGCSEs with six subjects so do i even require any AS level grades or i should only send my IGCSEs

thanks again

ReputationRep:
    hey thanks
    and i have read the thread and thank you very much for providing me with that UCAS apllication website
    hey and one thing which i wanted to ask you that i have actually done my IGCSEs with six subjects so do i even require any AS level grades or i should only send my IGCSEs

thanks again
    If you have certificated AS grades you must declare those as well as the IGCSEs.

ReputationRep:
    hi can you please tell me since the deadlines is tomorrow for the American universities
    if i do not apply can i still go to an american university even if their dates have been passed

because one of my friends did that he is now in America studying in a university
    so he told me that after he finished with his A level exams in June he then applied in the university and then he got admission

so can you please tell me how should i do it

many many thanks to you
    This is the timetable for Harvard, it's about the same for all the universities I've applied to. I can't tell you about the rest. I don't know about the rest.

December 1 – Application Review Begins

January 1 – Freshman Application Deadline

March 1 – Financial Aid Deadline

Early April – Decision Letters Mailed

May 1 – Candidates Reply Deadline

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.