Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Advert at top of page for Welsh Uni....looks like an obesity awareness poster. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Why does the advert even mean? At my uni I still have my name, its not like my lecturers refer to me as CANDIDATE# 0912722

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I thought that too But they are only chubby, hardly obese!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edd360)
    Why does the advert even mean? At my uni I still have my name, its not like my lecturers refer to me as CANDIDATE# 0912722
    I LOLed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
    I think it's fair to say they're not the BSc Health & Exercise students. :lol:
    +3 :rofl2:

ReputationRep:
    I went on their official website, and there is an overweight guy laughing with girls who seem way out of his league:

I wonder if there is a reason for the uni's apparent favouring of the overweight :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liam_G)
    I went on teir official website, and there is an overweight guy laughing with girls who seem way out of his league:

I wonder if there is a reason for the uni's apparent favouring of the overweight :dontknow:
    Not only is the picture hilarious, but your comment just made it complete.

" Please rate some other members before rating this member again." sorry

ReputationRep:
    Tis pretty sickening, I must admit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    This. But mainly the first bit. :p:

OP: LOL.
    Right now, I can see Aberdeen being advertised. Would you say that Aberdeen is not a university worth going to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liam_G)
    I went on teir official website, and there is an overweight guy laughing with girls who seem way out of his league:

Don't think that guys fat tbh, look at the way his jacket is, it goes straight down, I think it's just the jacket hanging out a bit too far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edd360)
    "Please rate some other members before rating this member again."

That's the thought that went through my head (the number thing, not the 'please rate...' thing) when I saw that advert, not "Oh no, one of them is a bit overweight."

(Original post by TheSownRose)
      Right now, I can see Aberdeen being advertised. Would you say that Aberdeen is not a university worth going to?
      :facepalm2:

Maybe that's what you think however obviously there are exceptions. :rolleyes:

Typical, always making generalisations.

Having said that, I personally would not go to Aberdeen.

Also, there are a wide range of reasons that Aberdeen is advertising, e.g. due to its location so it does not get a lot of publicity.

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
      I think it's fair to say they're not the BSc Health & Exercise students. :lol:
      It would be more worrying if they actually were. :p:

ReputationRep:

Also, there are a wide range of reasons that Aberdeen is advertising, e.g. due to its location so it does not get a lot of publicity.

I never said that I think that, and agree with you on two counts: I wouldn't personally go to Aberdeen and the reason it's being advertised (and that is has very low entry requirements for a uni of it's standard) is that it is hard to encourage people to go to a very far north, isolated city for uni.

That said, this is the exact conversation that took place between yourself and the person you quoted (with extraneous parts cut out):

"Any university that has to advertise itself to students, let's be honest, is not worth going to."
      "This."

You didn't make note of any exceptions, so was it unfair to assume that you would mean any university?

Dude/dudette, do you have to turn every thread into a Uni bashing thread? I appreciate your love for Oxbridge, but can you kinda... you know, wrap it up into one thread?

Yes, people do goad you, but don't take the bait.

(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
          It would be more worrying if they actually were. :p:
          If that were the case, only God knows what they're teaching them.

"Any university that has to advertise itself to students, let's be honest, is not worth going to."
            "This."

You didn't make note of any exceptions, so was it unfair to assume that you would mean any university?
            You really think I have time to say, "oh but excluding University A, University B.... for these reasons...."

No.

Stop being so pedantic, because let's be honest, any university that has to advertise itself to student it's not worth going to. Aberdeen doesn't really have to advertise does it? I believe the university merely chooses to advertise due to locality reasons.

Notice the word has.

Because, yeah, if you have to advertise to students, what does that say about the credibility of that university?

ReputationRep:
            You really think I have time to say, "oh but excluding University A, University B.... for these reasons...."

No.

Stop being so pedantic, because let's be honest, any university that has to advertise itself to student it's not worth going to. Aberdeen doesn't really have to advertise does it? I believe the university merely chooses to advertise due to locality reasons.

Notice the word has.

Because, yeah, if you have to advertise to students, what does that say about the credibility of that university?
            No universities have to advertise to students. They merely choose to in order to raise their profile.

ReputationRep:
            Like Aberdeen?

Seconded...

Also, its not about paying models for photo-shoots... most unis recruit actual students for these things so as to keep as much money pointed towards its students as possible

No universities have to advertise to students. They merely choose to in order to raise their profile.
              Are you sure about that?

What there is a university where they have a significantly high proportion of their courses in Clearing each year?

Of course they have to advertise. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:

No.

Notice the word has.

Coca-Cola still advertise their drinks, yet they don't have to...

Most unis do advertise, when you eventually apply for uni, ISA, (this will be a few years after puberty), you'll find leaflets from most unis which do your course (or similar) flying through your letterbox as soon as you apply for your UCAS card.

Submit reply
            TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 31, 2010
          • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
            What newspaper do you read/prefer?
            Useful resources
            AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
          • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
            Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.