Advert at top of page for Welsh Uni....looks like an obesity awareness poster. Watch

edd360
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Why does the advert even mean? At my uni I still have my name, its not like my lecturers refer to me as CANDIDATE# 0912722
Kalliope
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yeah, I thought that too But they are only chubby, hardly obese!
Kalliope
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by edd360)
Why does the advert even mean? At my uni I still have my name, its not like my lecturers refer to me as CANDIDATE# 0912722
I LOLed
Liam 09
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
I think it's fair to say they're not the BSc Health & Exercise students. :lol:
+3 :rofl2:
Liam_G
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I went on their official website, and there is an overweight guy laughing with girls who seem way out of his league:

I wonder if there is a reason for the uni's apparent favouring of the overweight :dontknow:
edd360
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Liam_G)
I went on teir official website, and there is an overweight guy laughing with girls who seem way out of his league:

I wonder if there is a reason for the uni's apparent favouring of the overweight :dontknow:
Not only is the picture hilarious, but your comment just made it complete.

" Please rate some other members before rating this member again." sorry
Converse
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Tis pretty sickening, I must admit.
TheSownRose
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by im so academic)
This. But mainly the first bit. :p:

OP: LOL.
Right now, I can see Aberdeen being advertised. Would you say that Aberdeen is not a university worth going to?
nempozpag
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Liam_G)
I went on teir official website, and there is an overweight guy laughing with girls who seem way out of his league:

Don't think that guys fat tbh, look at the way his jacket is, it goes straight down, I think it's just the jacket hanging out a bit too far.
TheSownRose
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by edd360)
"Please rate some other members before rating this member again."

That's the thought that went through my head (the number thing, not the 'please rate...' thing) when I saw that advert, not "Oh no, one of them is a bit overweight."
im so academic
Badges: 13
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by TheSownRose)
Right now, I can see Aberdeen being advertised. Would you say that Aberdeen is not a university worth going to?
:facepalm2:

Maybe that's what you think however obviously there are exceptions. :rolleyes:

Typical, always making generalisations.

Having said that, I personally would not go to Aberdeen.

Also, there are a wide range of reasons that Aberdeen is advertising, e.g. due to its location so it does not get a lot of publicity.

:rolleyes:
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
I think it's fair to say they're not the BSc Health & Exercise students. :lol:
It would be more worrying if they actually were. :p:
TheSownRose
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

Also, there are a wide range of reasons that Aberdeen is advertising, e.g. due to its location so it does not get a lot of publicity.

I never said that I think that, and agree with you on two counts: I wouldn't personally go to Aberdeen and the reason it's being advertised (and that is has very low entry requirements for a uni of it's standard) is that it is hard to encourage people to go to a very far north, isolated city for uni.

That said, this is the exact conversation that took place between yourself and the person you quoted (with extraneous parts cut out):

"Any university that has to advertise itself to students, let's be honest, is not worth going to."
"This."

You didn't make note of any exceptions, so was it unfair to assume that you would mean any university?
WhereIsMyMind
Badges: 2
Report 8 years ago

Dude/dudette, do you have to turn every thread into a Uni bashing thread? I appreciate your love for Oxbridge, but can you kinda... you know, wrap it up into one thread?

Yes, people do goad you, but don't take the bait.
WhereIsMyMind
Badges: 2
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
It would be more worrying if they actually were. :p:
If that were the case, only God knows what they're teaching them.

im so academic
Report 8 years ago
"Any university that has to advertise itself to students, let's be honest, is not worth going to."
"This."

You didn't make note of any exceptions, so was it unfair to assume that you would mean any university?
You really think I have time to say, "oh but excluding University A, University B.... for these reasons...."

No.

Stop being so pedantic, because let's be honest, any university that has to advertise itself to student it's not worth going to. Aberdeen doesn't really have to advertise does it? I believe the university merely chooses to advertise due to locality reasons.

Notice the word has.

Because, yeah, if you have to advertise to students, what does that say about the credibility of that university?
TheSownRose
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You really think I have time to say, "oh but excluding University A, University B.... for these reasons...."

No.

Stop being so pedantic, because let's be honest, any university that has to advertise itself to student it's not worth going to. Aberdeen doesn't really have to advertise does it? I believe the university merely chooses to advertise due to locality reasons.

Notice the word has.

Because, yeah, if you have to advertise to students, what does that say about the credibility of that university?
No universities have to advertise to students. They merely choose to in order to raise their profile.
Barden
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Like Aberdeen?

Seconded...

Also, its not about paying models for photo-shoots... most unis recruit actual students for these things so as to keep as much money pointed towards its students as possible
im so academic
Report 8 years ago
No universities have to advertise to students. They merely choose to in order to raise their profile.
Are you sure about that?

What there is a university where they have a significantly high proportion of their courses in Clearing each year?

Of course they have to advertise. :rolleyes:
Barden
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

No.

Notice the word has.

Coca-Cola still advertise their drinks, yet they don't have to...

Most unis do advertise, when you eventually apply for uni, ISA, (this will be a few years after puberty), you'll find leaflets from most unis which do your course (or similar) flying through your letterbox as soon as you apply for your UCAS card.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (142)
17.95%
It's just nice to be back! (213)
26.93%
Not great so far... (283)
35.78%
I want to drop out! (153)
19.34%

Watched Threads