Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Friend overpaid by work. She told, would you? Watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Would you tell boss of money mistake?
    Yes
    71.55%
    No
    28.45%
    Other - please say
    0%

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I would, and have in the past.

Funny thing was, when I thought I was overpaid, turned out I wasn't, which was pretty cool.

Because I was honest and nice to everyone, my boss used to give me holiday pay and stuff like that, even though I was only (technically) a Saturday girl, though I did as many extra shifts as I could.

ReputationRep:
    If it was over £100 then I probably would.

ReputationRep:
    Yup, cause at one point down the road during an audit they'd find out and ask for it back anyway

ReputationRep:
    Err yes, it won't be all jolly when they come asking for their money back. Your friend has a contract with them in which salary or wage is agreed. If she's over paid then she has to give it back before they seek to obtain it through the legal system.

ReputationRep:
    I remember once being incredibly UNDER paid. Turns out they had given me the wrong contract, so had to pay me for it, but then said that they were terminating my contract and could sign the other one if I wanted to. It was about £2 an hour difference, so I didn't take the job after that.

ReputationRep:
    The benefits of giving it back outweigh the benefits of keeping it. If you give it back, you look like an honest and reliable person to your boss, and if you keep it you'd always be worried that you'd be caught, and when questioned about it at a later date (almost 100% guaranteed to be traced) it'd be obvious you knew. You couldn't even spend it as you'd have to pay it back eventually.

ReputationRep:
    I probably would if it was a career I wanted to do but if it was just temporary or part time I would not say anything.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I would, on the most part because I'd feel too guilty keeping it but also because I wouldn't want to face the consequences of being found out at a later stage

ReputationRep:
    Depends how much i liked my employer/needed the job/needed the money.

If it happened at my old job i would have told them because i really liked them, but in a hypothetical future job where i didn't particularly like the employers then the only reason i would tell is because i'd be afraid that if i didn't i may loose the job. Of course if i didn't really need the job/was planning to leave anyway then i doubt i'd tell.

ReputationRep:
    I would in a job when I am older and could go places, but not in my current part time retail job. :no: I might say they overpaid me by half the amount that actually overpaid me with, perhaps.

ReputationRep:
    If it was a lot like £1000 I would because I would likely be found out eventually.
    If it was under £100 I'd just pretend I hadn't noticed. It's not my fault if the company is to incompetent to pay the right amount. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ash-corbett-collins)
    For such a large amount I would, because it's likely it would have been noticed at a later date, and if found out could cost my job and dignity.

However if it was a small amount i.e. less than £50, then I wouldn't mention it, and consider it a bonus
    This

ReputationRep:
    Yes I'd tell and the amount of money wouldn't make a difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kat2pult)
    OK, so far, more people have posted saying they would return it than what the poll says...Hmmm interesting!
    Possibly it is because like me, they read the title and answered the poll thinking the amount would be about £100. Reading the real story and finding out it was £1000 makes it a very different ball game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kat2pult)
    My friend got overpaid by £1000 last month at work, but she told her boss so that if they found out, her job would be secure and it would show that she was an honest person when it comes to her getting promoted.

Would you tell? Would your answer be different if the money was more or less than £1000?
    It's always good to tell because if they find out some other way it'll be pretty bad for you

ReputationRep:
    Got paid double. Twas good.

ReputationRep:
    I once got overpaid 800 pounds. But I had already left, and they had treated me like ****, I had been there 2 months and half the people I had trained with had left. That was 3 years ago.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't - keep the money and run!

ooooonly joking, to all you moralists

Yes I would tell, because it's the "right" thing to do - and because it's illegal if you don't - I don't plan on going court anytime soon

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a job and the last time I was in a proper work place was on work exp. at Currys for two weeks so maybe I'd think differently if in the situation, though, I honestly think I'd feel too guilty if I didn't tell them. If I did keep it I'd probably give it back after a day or two and then quit.
    EMZ=]
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    On the first occasion I would, but if they kept overpaying me, I'd keep it. It ain't my job to audit the accounts for them!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.