Bought a new V8 powered Animal :) Watch

CurlyBen
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by JC.)
You put a mk1 Golf GTi up against the current model from VW with twice the power and twice the weight and they will run very similar times down the drag strip.

Modern cars are heavey. Fact. Weight blunts performance. Fact.
"the average modern car is getting on for 2 tonnes". Rubbish.
In any case, I did say modern cars are heavier, but the Golf GTi is a pretty rare case, and very few modern cars weigh two tons - a 90 doesn't, and a 110 only just makes it over at 2,041kg!
Anyway, as you know, a drag test is a pretty crude measure of performance, and if you're looking for ultimate performance on a budget you pretty much have to look at sevens or similar.
JC.
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
A landrover 90 is hardly a modern car.
Range rover is - what do they weigh?
gbduo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Put a 2010 Golf GTi and a Mk.1 Golf GTi round a track with corners and stuff. Then the marvels of modern engineering will shine through against classics.
JC.
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by gbduo)
Put a 2010 Golf GTi and a Mk.1 Golf GTi round a track with corners and stuff. Then the marvels of modern engineering will shine through against classics.
I wouldn't have thought they'd be much in it personally.
CurlyBen
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by JC.)
Range rover is -
- a crap example of an "average modern car"
gbduo
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by JC.)
I wouldn't have thought they'd be much in it personally.
Right this deserves some YouTube time! Later! Haha!
omarion526
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by gbduo)
Right this deserves some YouTube time! Later! Haha!
top gear did this same debate didnt they? Old vs new etc.. too much in it for a sweeping statement tbh..

perfer to go in between and aim for the 90's personally!
M1F2R3
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Loving the car.
gbduo
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by cRaig)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMgPcluchYI

I'll save you some time :p:
I said round corners and stuff, not a crude drag race.

But thanks, i'll have a look later when I can be bothered!
Minardi
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Been away for a while (and I'm not exactly back!) but it's nice to see some things never change... :p: (For the record, Still got the TD5 Landie, and got a 1.8TDCI Focus daily driver)
gbduo
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxWQ1BcNwxk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c0Nz...eature=related
Iorek
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
New cars will always be better than the old, in time to come as chassis engineering competence improves we will find cars with stiffer chassis that are as light as cars of yesteryears.

Light cars doesn't always equate to be better cars, a well balanced car however is the best.
jhubbert
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Not all american V8s are useless

Take the new 2012 Shelby GT500 Mustang or the 2012 Chevrolet Camaro?
El estudiante
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It's a lovely car. The problem with these is mainly that in order to keep relatively standard sheetmetal the exhaust manifolds where very restrictive which had a big negative impact on horsepower, and in order to use SU carbs under a standard MGB bnnet the inlet manifold were also very cramped. This cut the power right down to about 137 bhp (as I remember). This probably seemed fine in an era when a Porshe 911 produced 150 bhp.

The way to look at it is not compare it with a modern V8 - but think of it as a 40 year old vintage that easily keeps up with the modern traffic. An injected 4.6 might just chage this of course!!

:cool:
(Original post by JC.)
I started a thread recently looking for suggestions for a new car.
Perhapse I did (for those who know me), the predictable thing...

Well, another MGB GT Factory V8 has joined the stable. It's Blaze red with a black interior. Quite a rare car actually... only 112 examples made to this spec out of a total production run of 2601

Not great pictures, but it was dark when we got back from picking it up...

Front:

Comedy front valance with silly foglights. This is going to have to change pretty quickly if I decide to keep the car:

Here's the bit that matters. Yeah, the V8 power plant. Note the very er... "bling" Chrome air filters

Not a bad little car actually. Need to sort out some minor electrical gremlins - ie it'd be nice to have functioning rear brake lights but other than that it just needs driving.
Now, where did I put that super charger and bug catcher? :p:D

If anyones remotely interested in what a V8 powered MGB sounds like, click the spoiler in my sig. Theres a video clip of my previous MGB GT V8 running. :cool:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (228)
39.31%
No - but I will (40)
6.9%
No - I don't want to (41)
7.07%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (271)
46.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise