Variable acceleration and speed Watch

Jing_jing
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by Pheylan)
i wasn't aware of that. that makes it seem like my opinion is just a regurgitation of A-level stuff (which it isn't)
I wouldn't dream of accusing somebody of simply regurgitating A level Maths (probably because if somebody accused me of that I'd be acutely offended). Zero's a weird and wonderful thing isn't it! I guess you have to define 'natural numbers' before using the term to establish whether you're including 0 or not or things could get quite messy!
Farhan.Hanif93
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Jing_jing)
It's not too bad actually (well ish). I was being an idiot and totally forgot acceleration could be written as v\frac{dv}{dx}. It's nicer than FP3 at the moment but that's only because we're doing vectors and I very much dislike vectors.
You're on OCR too, aren't you? I really enjoyed M3. FP3 vectors were a nice change too although I'm not liking the complex numbers stuff too much. It's not difficult, it just feels as though I'm missing some key point about all of it, which is annoying.

How's STEP prep coming along?
Pheylan
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Farhan.Hanif93)
That entirely depends on how you define the natural numbers, surely? I have always thought that I could define the natural numbers in whatever way is most convenient for the problem I was solving i.e. if including zero was a problem, I would define the natural numbers to exclude 0. If not, then I may as well leave it there.

I'm fully expecting to be corrected though!
possibly, but i would've thought most mathematicians had an opinion 'in general' of whether or not 0's a natural number, and then reassess that if/when necessary
Doughnuts!!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It's not too bad actually (well ish). I was being an idiot and totally forgot acceleration could be written as v\frac{dv}{dx}. It's nicer than FP3 at the moment but that's only because we're doing vectors and I very much dislike vectors.
Most stuff is better than vectors tbh. :p:

I'm going to bed now, so I'll leave you to grapple with M3 until stupid 'o clock!

Spoiler:
Show
Oh, and 2 DAYS!! :woo:
Jing_jing
Rep:
?
You're on OCR too, aren't you? I really enjoyed M3. FP3 vectors were a nice change too although I'm not liking the complex numbers stuff too much. It's not difficult, it just feels as though I'm missing some key point about all of it, which is annoying.

How's STEP prep coming along?
Yep indeed I am. FP3 vectors are taking me a while to get my head around as we've not done them in C4 yet (been meaning to read up on that chapter for about 3 weeks now <__< ). I actually really like the complex number stuff but we've not done DeMoives yet, and I'm looking forwards to groups, we were going to start them today but our lesson was cut short and we only had time to go over the axioms. They look interesting though, a very different sort of maths than say C4.

Eh, I'm just really bad at mechanics (don't ask why I'm taking M3 when I could be doing S2) :laugh:

STEP has temporarily been put on ice (had a couple of mocks last week and my geography teachers weren't very amused that I hadn't done their essays :rolleyes: I don't think that retorting with 'Well I could fail your subject and it wouldn't matter' would have gone down very well though). I'm dedicating a couple of hours each day during half term to it though. It's slowly getting better, I just remember at the beginning of the year looking at a STEP II paper and not being able to even begin to approach any of it! The 2010 paper looks quite hard though, especially as 2009 was really quite nice as far as STEP II goes!

(Original post by Doughnuts!!)
Most stuff is better than vectors tbh. :p:

I'm going to bed now, so I'll leave you to grapple with M3 until stupid 'o clock!

Spoiler:
Show
Oh, and 2 DAYS!! :woo:
Yeah, I just can't seem to get my head around them!

I really want to give up and turn in for the night but this homework has to be in the post by tomorrow so I shall be up till whenever it finally gets done!

Spoiler:
Show
I know! I can't wait, it will be awesome!
Farhan.Hanif93
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yep indeed I am. FP3 vectors are taking me a while to get my head around as we've not done them in C4 yet (been meaning to read up on that chapter for about 3 weeks now <__< ). I actually really like the complex number stuff but we've not done DeMoives yet, and I'm looking forwards to groups, we were going to start them today but our lesson was cut short and we only had time to go over the axioms. They look interesting though, a very different sort of maths than say C4.
I know what you mean. Vectors become much easier (and very useful) once you manage to visualise them.

We have been covering the nth roots of unity stuff and although it makes sense to express a complex number in that form, I couldn't see the purpose of doing so. It was so weird, I simply just couldn't 'get it', if you know what I mean?

Eh, I'm just really bad at mechanics (don't ask why I'm taking M3 when I could be doing S2) :laugh:
My maths teacher and I have been discussing the possibility of continuing my learning of S2 without actually having to sit the exam. Instead, I would only sit M3 (which I've already learnt) as opposed to both of them and additionally, I can therefore reduce the exams on the day of STEP III to just STEP and M2.

S2 is alright but stats tends to bore me. The idea of sampling and estimating probabilities bore me.

STEP has temporarily been put on ice (had a couple of mocks last week and my geography teachers weren't very amused that I hadn't done their essays :rolleyes: I don't think that retorting with 'Well I could fail your subject and it wouldn't matter' would have gone down very well though). I'm dedicating a couple of hours each day during half term to it though. It's slowly getting better, I just remember at the beginning of the year looking at a STEP II paper and not being able to even begin to approach any of it! The 2010 paper looks quite hard though, especially as 2009 was really quite nice as far as STEP II goes!
I was forced to bring this up with my Geography teacher because he said something that got my attention and he became really offended. We had a discussion for half the lesson across the class room. He was well beaten in the argument that maths is far more fundamental than geography and that most universities/employers consider maths as the more useful subject to have under you belt when applying for the majority of jobs/courses that entail problem solving. So he then went on to bring up that mathematicians all become lonely, remain single etc... At which point I lol'd at the massive generalisation that he had just made. :p:

You're definitely going to need to put in a lot of hours to get to the S standard that you need to be at for your offer! I wouldn't leave it to the side. I remember the feeling too, although it was a lot of fun when I didn't have an offer riding on it. :p:

You should take another look at the 2010 paper II, in my opinion (and quite a few others') it was the easiest STEP II paper of all time. As far as STEP can be easy, that is.

Good luck!
Jing_jing
Rep:
?
I know what you mean. Vectors become much easier (and very useful) once you've manage to visualise them.
Yeah, I've found that the questions are so much easier once you draw it all out!

We have been covering the nth roots of unity stuff and although it makes sense to express a complex number in that form, I couldn't see the purpose of doing so. It was so weird, I simply just couldn't 'get it', if you know what I mean?
Yep, the 'not getting it' feeling is a familiar one to me! Although it's amazing when suddenly it all clicks! I'm starting it after half term so I'll probably go over the complex numbers in polar form chapter and make sure I'm not too rusty on that beforehand.

My maths teacher and I have been discussing the possibility of continuing my learning of S2 without actually having to sit the exam. Instead, I would only sit M3 (which I've already learnt) as opposed to both of them and additionally, I can therefore reduce the exams on the day of STEP III to just STEP and M2.

S2 is alright but stats tends to bore me. The idea of sampling and estimating probabilities bore me.

That was the reason I wanted to do M3 in the first place. I found mechanics so much harder than stats, but it was so much more interesting! Although in hindsight maybe I should have cared less about having an interesting year and more of a year of a module I actually understand!

I have a horrible day on the 22nd, STEP III, M2 and B5 as well. I'm actually really worried about my summer exams this year. Last year all of them were really spaced out but this year I have so many clashes! No cramming this time round I guess.

I was forced to bring this up with my Geography teacher because he said something that got my attention and he became really offended. We had a discussion for half the lesson across the class room. He was well beaten in the argument that maths is far more fundamental than geography and that most universities/employers consider maths as the more useful subject to have under you belt when applying for the majority of jobs/courses that entail problem solving. So he then went on to bring up that mathematicians all become lonely, remain single etc... At which point I lol'd at the massive generalisation that he had just made. :p:
Oh dear, I can't imagine being able to sustain a debate like that with my geography teacher, she would absolutely flip! But yes, it is most definably more fundamental than geography! Our teacher goes about how geography is the only subject that brings together different disciplines and is able to look at the whole picture, and how it's the best degree to have, and I just want to bang my head on the desk (although admittedly I am bias).

:rolleyes: Low blow there, evidently because we like Maths, we're doomed to lead a single life of solitude, forever to wander the lonely halls of our empty homes. At least Mathematicians don't make massive generalisations like that My geography teacher called Mathematicians all 'boring' last week. I wasn't amused.

You're definitely going to need to put in a lot of hours to get to the S standard that you need to be at for your offer! I wouldn't leave it to the side. I remember the feeling too, although it was a lot of fun when I didn't have an offer riding on it. :p:

You should take another look at the 2010 paper II, in my opinion (and quite a few others') it was the easiest STEP II paper of all time. As far as STEP can be easy, that is.

Good luck!
I know, I want to just ignore geography for the rest of the year and my Dad's been hinting at me to just drop it but they school said that they're really against me dropping it especially as I took an exam in January. If I score less than 90 UMS in that module then I'm thinking about just abandoning the subject anyway. It's annoying because my geography essays are the homework that takes the longest and it just seems to eat up my time.

I think that STEP would be pretty fun to do if it weren't for the fact that my university admission depends on it! I think I've decided that if LSE rejects me I'm going to insure Durham not Warwick because although I'd rather go to Warwick, I really don't want a STEP condition in my insurance.

I seem to remember that the grade boundary was really high for STEP II last year though, 5 whole questions and a fragment I think for an S! I'm going to try and do most of the paper this week over half term.
Farhan.Hanif93
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
That was the reason I wanted to do M3 in the first place. I found mechanics so much harder than stats, but it was so much more interesting! Although in hindsight maybe I should have cared less about having an interesting year and more of a year of a module I actually understand!

I have a horrible day on the 22nd, STEP III, M2 and B5 as well. I'm actually really worried about my summer exams this year. Last year all of them were really spaced out but this year I have so many clashes! No cramming this time round I guess.
Wow that's tough. According to almost everyone I know who is taking Biology, it's apparently quite a difficult exam. I guess I'm almost OK with doing S2 on that day but I'd rather not have the hassle because I'm lazy like that! :p:

Oh dear, I can't imagine being able to sustain a debate like that with my geography teacher, she would absolutely flip! But yes, it is most definably more fundamental than geography! Our teacher goes about how geography is the only subject that brings together different disciplines and is able to look at the whole picture, and how it's the best degree to have, and I just want to bang my head on the desk (although admittedly I am bias).

:rolleyes: Low blow there, evidently because we like Maths, we're doomed to lead a single life of solitude, forever to wander the lonely halls of our empty homes. At least Mathematicians don't make massive generalisations like that My geography teacher called Mathematicians all 'boring' last week. I wasn't amused.

I know, I want to just ignore geography for the rest of the year and my Dad's been hinting at me to just drop it but they school said that they're really against me dropping it especially as I took an exam in January. If I score less than 90 UMS in that module then I'm thinking about just abandoning the subject anyway. It's annoying because my geography essays are the homework that takes the longest and it just seems to eat up my time.
Trust me, neither did I! :p:

It had to be done, though. He dislikes my uninterested attitude to geography and is apparently disappointed that I'm not the same as I was last year. I don't even think my behaviour towards geography has changed much in that time...

My geography teacher makes those sweeping statements pretty often. I tend to need to show quite a bit of restraint. :p:

I'm definitely paying very little attention to geography at the moment. I need to focus on the things that count (plus I don't want to get bored :p:)

I think that STEP would be pretty fun to do if it weren't for the fact that my university admission depends on it! I think I've decided that if LSE rejects me I'm going to insure Durham not Warwick because although I'd rather go to Warwick, I really don't want a STEP condition in my insurance.

I seem to remember that the grade boundary was really high for STEP II last year though, 5 whole questions and a fragment I think for an S! I'm going to try and do most of the paper this week over half term.
That's fair enough. I'm sure you'll get LSE though, so don't worry as hopefully you won't need to make that decision.

The high grade boundaries tend to suggest two things:
1) The paper was easier to score marks on so many people performed well.
2) The people were better prepared.

I think it's more a combination of both but I am inclined to say it was an easier paper than usual.

Well, it's been good chatting to you but I'm knackered so I'm gonna call it a night! Enjoy the rest of your evening.
Dirac Spinor
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I had a similar experience in chemistry, one of the TAs asked me whether I was going to do chemistry at university and I politely answered in a sort of ambiguos :"I'm not sure" (even though I'm pretty sure I'm going to be applying for maths), she kept on asking me questions so I said my best subject was maths and my teacher and the TA actually teamed up on me and and said: "you're not going to be a mathematician are you!?" and spent the rest of the lesson telling me why that would be stupid.

Oh, and on the subject of 0 being or not being a member of the natural numbers, Bertrand Russell defines a natural number in terms of the number of a class:"The number of a class is the class of all classes that are similar to it" from which it follows that 0 is a natural number as it contains one sub-class, the empty set.
Just my two bob.

Good luck to everyone taking STEP, I hope you are enjoying it as much as I am .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (316)
37.4%
No - but I will (66)
7.81%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.34%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (401)
47.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise