Whilst the United Nations has been focusing on the civil conflict of Egypt etc..... Watch

Ethereal
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
How are the exact deaths of 2 years ago relevant to the issue raised by the delegate ?
Sim188
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Ethereal)
How are the exact deaths of 2 years ago relevant to the issue raised by the delegate ?
We were discussing how Israel handles terrorist activity, The PLO claims that too many civilians are killed in these actions, Israel stated they have low civilian fatality rates, so we have corrected them.
Rhadamanthus
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Sim188)
This is preposterous. The Palestinian Centre for Human Rights, the only truly reliable and independent source, numbers the dead at 1,417, militants at 491 and civilians at 926. We are both talking about the Gaza Invasion of 2008-09?
We are talking about Operation Cast Lead of 2008-09, yes. You statistics are wrong. Both IDF and Hamas figures state just over 700 civilian deaths and over 700 combatant deaths. These figures have been available for some time.
Rhadamanthus
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
We were discussing how Israel handles terrorist activity, The PLO claims that too many civilians are killed in these actions, Israel stated they have low civilian fatality rates, so we have corrected them.
With all due respect you did not "correct" us - even if your death toll figures were correct the civilian death rate would be dramatically lower than the figures from any other war in the world at this time.
Ethereal
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The delegate for Russia was making a (flawed) point about strategy and said "statistics" but I rather suspect that they were not intending you to have a debate over figures.
Sim188
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Ethereal)
The delegate for Russia was making a (flawed) point about strategy and said "statistics" but I rather suspect that they were not intending you to have a debate over figures.
The Russian delegate has not requested we stop discussing civilian death rates, and both parties feel it is a crucial point.
Sim188
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by JakePearson)
We are talking about Operation Cast Lead of 2008-09, yes. You statistics are wrong. Both IDF and Hamas figures state just over 700 civilian deaths and over 700 combatant deaths. These figures have been available for some time.
Let me just make the point that during the same time period, Only around a third of Israeli deaths were civilian.
Ethereal
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The Russian delegate has not requested we stop discussing civilian death rates, and both parties feel it is a crucial point.
He doesn't need to. your debate is completely tangential and without and easily identifiable benefit.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (255)
38.93%
No - but I will (45)
6.87%
No - I don't want to (47)
7.18%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (308)
47.02%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed