Cigarettes on prescription Watch

justlol
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by Drumzilla)
i'm not even a smoker, i just believe i have the right to do what i want to my own body, be it bad for me or not

My beliefs don't differ from yours but the government doesn't believe that. No matter what people are brain washed to think, we don't live in a free soceity.

My initial point, if you bothered to digest my first post was that as they choose to legislate drug trade and criminalize certain drug use why haven't they contemplated this (pres) with tobacco.
jumpingjesusholycow
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You call yourself a libertarian? :rofl:
ch0llima
Badges: 14
Report 8 years ago
A prescription implies that it is necessary for your health and well being, generally. You go to your GP because you're ill and, likely, you'll get some kind of prescription or alternative treatment to sort it out.

You're wanting to apply this to something with zero health benefits whatsoever? Why place the blame on doctors for this, as they're the ones supplying you with the prescription? I'll just get my GP to write one for a large doner kebab and two pints of vodka because it's obviously good for me amirite :bhangra:

I wish you all the best of luck in finding a GP that endorses your idea and wants to be able to supply such prescriptions.
ShowMeYourSpine
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by justlol)
My initial point, if you bothered to digest my first post was that as they choose to legislate drug trade and criminalize certain drug use why haven't they contemplated this (pres) with tobacco.
Because our drugs laws have absolutely no rational basis whatsoever.
f00ddude
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ShowMeYourSpine)
Because our drugs laws have absolutely no rational basis whatsoever.
i wouldnt say that
after all, weed was ilegalized initialy on the VERY strong point of and i roughly quote "it makes woman sleep with negro men" and the basis it could destroy the paper industry and stop logging
justlol
Rep:
?
(Original post by f00ddude)
the tax would drop enoumously, theres a lot of social smokers, people who buy a pack for a night out, or people who smoke maybe 3 a day none of these people will bother with prescription, under 18 wouldnt be able to get one either, a lot of smokers trying to quit wouldnt bother. i wouldnt get one id see how long i can go without, and since im about 30mins out of my way from anywhere i could get one, BOOM suddenly 4billion tax is lost + the start up fees of the system
Economics isnt the only reason though, its also something thats been embedded into society along with alcohol

if tobacco and alcohol were founded today, im guessing tobacco would be banned, and alcohol would be a class A. both are a lot more harmfull than weed or mdma
Even if you're points are valid, which they are not (the average smoker smokes 12 cigs a day), I'm pretty sure £4 billion tax shortfall can be made up through the zillion methods the government has to tax the peasants, oops i mean its citizens.

There are 8 million smokers out of a pop of 60 million. Imagine the goodwill the politicians would generate with the non-smoking population if they were to do this. The condems certainly need all the goodwill they can get atm.
f00ddude
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by justlol)
Even if you're points are valid, which they are not (the average smoker smokes 12 cigs a day), I'm pretty sure £4 billion tax shortfall can be made up through the zillion methods the government has to tax the peasants, oops i mean its citizens.

There are 8 million smokers out of a pop of 60 million. Imagine the goodwill the politicians would generate with the non-smoking population if they were to do this. The condems certainly need all the goodwill they can get atm.
obviously the 4billion isn't correct but youd be surprised at how many cigs are sold to casual smokers, a lot of whom wont admit to being a smoker on any surveys of anything but i would estimate almost half of revenue dropping considering that it would be seen as a HUGE incentive to quit + the trade in foriegn black market cigs would soar
and in this economy they can't just make up that kinda shortfall, with jobs going the public would be outraged they chose now to implement a scheme like this why should more people lose their jobs and see even more cuts to make up for smokers
justlol
Rep:
?
(Original post by ch0llima)
A prescription implies that it is necessary for your health and well being, generally. You go to your GP because you're ill and, likely, you'll get some kind of prescription or alternative treatment to sort it out.

You're wanting to apply this to something with zero health benefits whatsoever? Why place the blame on doctors for this, as they're the ones supplying you with the prescription? I'll just get my GP to write one for a large doner kebab and two pints of vodka because it's obviously good for me amirite :bhangra:

I wish you all the best of luck in finding a GP that endorses your idea and wants to be able to supply such prescriptions.
Addicts can be prescribed heroin substitutes designed to wean them off the drug. Jusy googled and several ministers in the past have called for heroin to be prescribed where the subs have not worked.

Pwned, lol, kidding.

Also googled for cig prescriptions, funnily enough the WHO suggested with fanfare infact for cigarettes prescriptions.

It is clear vested interests have stopped unfavourable legislation.
justlol
Rep:
?
(Original post by f00ddude)
i wouldnt say that
after all, weed was ilegalized initialy on the VERY strong point of and i roughly quote "it makes woman sleep with negro men" and the basis it could destroy the paper industry and stop logging
I've started a thread on why governments choose to criminalize drugs.

have your say peeps.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...ussions_latest
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (399)
37.64%
No - but I will (82)
7.74%
No - I don't want to (75)
7.08%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (504)
47.55%

Watched Threads