Lots of Questions! :D Watch

fever skin
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Kayak)
Really? Eeek... I'm extremely unlikely to be getting any substantial help since they just can't afford to, I'm sure they'll be there to lend money or help pay for something if I'm really stuck though. I've got a small amount of savings, and am hunting for a summer job, so hope to have those savings boosted a bit by the time I come to Uni! I'm hoping to go for standard catered halls, single room, which is about 5300 when I last checked? And I think that the maintenance loan and grant I would get would cover that, but with not much left for general living, such as weekend food budget and travel. I'm looking in to applying for the Wardlaw scholarship at the moment.
Yeah, I mean if you work hard and scrimp a lot you'll be able to cover it, but just be aware that St Andrews is a very expensive university. It shouldn't put you off coming here but... tbh I think the university need to get their act together and provide more affordable student accommodation. If money's going to be tight I'd recommend working out a weekly budget, because even if you're very canny with your money it's easy to spend about a grand in two semesters, and if you're not I can easily imagine people spending two or even three times that - and that's not taking food into account if you're in catered halls. Then again, being skint it what being a student's all about really...
Oh-WOW
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Kayak)
Hello ^^ So I'm absolutely thrilled to have a conditional offer to come to St Andrews for Marine Biology, and am pretty much certain I'll be coming, as long as I get three A's this summer (Ah, an A in chemistry!?) So I've had some questions I thought I would ask you guys

Where do you keep bicycles if you bring one up with you? And are there places to leave them when you go home for the holidays?

To people completely funding their higher education (without parents chipping in!) how do-able is it? I've heard it can be quite an expensive place to live?

This one will probably bring about some conflicting answers, but which accommodation would you say is the best, and which the worst?

Are the accommodation forms done on a first-come-first-served basis, or does it not matter when I send mine in as long as I do so before the deadline?

What's the food like in catered halls?

Okay, think I'm done (for now! Sure some more will pop into my head soon!) Thanks!
1. I live at uni hall and theres loads of room here for bikes. There's like a space at the front outside and quite a big bike shed as well. As far as I'm aware, most halls have somewhere for your bike and theres loads of places around town to put them. As for during the summer, theres plenty of places that offer cheap storage for students. Or you're quite likely to find someone from not too far away that wouldn't mind you storing it in their garage for the summer. Theres also the possibility that you or one of your friends could have a flat leased over the summer where you could store it. My lease for next year starts in June so some of my friends are going to store stuff there for the summer.

2. I have to admit it is an expensive place to live. However, it is do able. You said you're going for standard catered which is expensive. You really need to work out how much you have. My loan didn't even cover the accomodation and I didn't get a grant so my parents had to help out for me to go standard catered. If you make the most of the 3 meals you could live on very little money. I would say I spend £30 a week. But thats simply because I always miss breakfast and the way my lectures work, I usually miss lunch. You can get a packed lunch but you have to go to breakfast to pick it up. I would say if I made the most of what is available to me I could get by on £10-£15 a week. You could even get by on less depending on how much you go out/ how much you drink etc. There's also the possibility of a job, which although hard to find, if you get out early in freshers and ask around, you could get something. and if you move out of halls in 2nd/ 3rd year you can find afforable accomodation if you don't mind being 10-15 mins out of town. which in alot of unis, would be pretty central. and if you have your bike, it'll not take you long.

3. I would honestly say that the accomodation here is up to a pretty decent standard. Ovbiously Albany/ Fife Park are not as modern as DRA etc but then they are considerably cheaper. From the rooms that I have seen, they're pretty good compared to some student halls. and you can't state a preference other than standard/ ensuite, catered/self catered and single/ shared (shared more likely to get you Sallies, Regs, Mcintosh in town and single more likely to be Uni Hall or Andrew Melville). I honestly do think Uni hall is nice. My room is quite big, the bathrooms are nice and it's clean and of a great standard compared to some of the places my friends from home live in.

4. Accomodation forms are not on a first come first serve basis. Everyone gets accomodation in first year.

5. Now onto the food.
I'd say firstly, if differs in each catered hall. As I said above, the mealtimes annoy me. Breakfast is 8-9 and I'm really not an early riser so I often miss it. But it usually consists of 4 types of cereal, bread for toast, either sausage, bacon, eggs, fried bread etc or a croissants, french toast etc, theres usually porridge, yoghurt and fruit, fruit juice, tea, coffee and hot chocolate. It's basically pretty good if you can get up early enough.
Lunch and dinner are a different matter. Lunch is usually nice enough if you can make it back in time. My lectures finish at 1 at the other side of town and lunch is 12.25-1.15. but you can get a packed lunch of a sandwich, a piece of fruit, digestive biscuits, a yoghurt and a bottle of water if you are going to miss lunch. Theres a sandwich bar, baked potatoes, soup, 2 meat meals and a veggie option, something carby like potatoes, rice or pasta and one or two veg options. Theres also bread rolls, fruit and a salad bar. Theres fruit juice and tea, coffee and hot chocolate (if you use your own mug). The main meal options tend to vary. They're usually made with pretty cheap meat and theres some weird and wonderful combinations but there is almost always something you can eat.
Dinner is much the same, without the baked potatoes and with a pudding.
I wouldn't say the food is high class cuisine but unless you are a really picky eater, you will find something. Some nights it might just me soup, bread roll, salad, fruit and a pudding or something but thats loads. It's nice not having to cook but you get to cook 2 nights at the weekends which is just enough. Mealtimes also allows you to meet people and make new friends in the first few weeks.

I hope thats enough info
Kayak
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by Oh-WOW)
1. I live at uni hall and theres loads of room here for bikes. There's like a space at the front outside and quite a big bike shed as well. As far as I'm aware, most halls have somewhere for your bike and theres loads of places around town to put them. As for during the summer, theres plenty of places that offer cheap storage for students. Or you're quite likely to find someone from not too far away that wouldn't mind you storing it in their garage for the summer. Theres also the possibility that you or one of your friends could have a flat leased over the summer where you could store it. My lease for next year starts in June so some of my friends are going to store stuff there for the summer.

2. I have to admit it is an expensive place to live. However, it is do able. You said you're going for standard catered which is expensive. You really need to work out how much you have. My loan didn't even cover the accomodation and I didn't get a grant so my parents had to help out for me to go standard catered. If you make the most of the 3 meals you could live on very little money. I would say I spend £30 a week. But thats simply because I always miss breakfast and the way my lectures work, I usually miss lunch. You can get a packed lunch but you have to go to breakfast to pick it up. I would say if I made the most of what is available to me I could get by on £10-£15 a week. You could even get by on less depending on how much you go out/ how much you drink etc. There's also the possibility of a job, which although hard to find, if you get out early in freshers and ask around, you could get something. and if you move out of halls in 2nd/ 3rd year you can find afforable accomodation if you don't mind being 10-15 mins out of town. which in alot of unis, would be pretty central. and if you have your bike, it'll not take you long.

3. I would honestly say that the accomodation here is up to a pretty decent standard. Ovbiously Albany/ Fife Park are not as modern as DRA etc but then they are considerably cheaper. From the rooms that I have seen, they're pretty good compared to some student halls. and you can't state a preference other than standard/ ensuite, catered/self catered and single/ shared (shared more likely to get you Sallies, Regs, Mcintosh in town and single more likely to be Uni Hall or Andrew Melville). I honestly do think Uni hall is nice. My room is quite big, the bathrooms are nice and it's clean and of a great standard compared to some of the places my friends from home live in.

4. Accomodation forms are not on a first come first serve basis. Everyone gets accomodation in first year.

5. Now onto the food.
I'd say firstly, if differs in each catered hall. As I said above, the mealtimes annoy me. Breakfast is 8-9 and I'm really not an early riser so I often miss it. But it usually consists of 4 types of cereal, bread for toast, either sausage, bacon, eggs, fried bread etc or a croissants, french toast etc, theres usually porridge, yoghurt and fruit, fruit juice, tea, coffee and hot chocolate. It's basically pretty good if you can get up early enough.
Lunch and dinner are a different matter. Lunch is usually nice enough if you can make it back in time. My lectures finish at 1 at the other side of town and lunch is 12.25-1.15. but you can get a packed lunch of a sandwich, a piece of fruit, digestive biscuits, a yoghurt and a bottle of water if you are going to miss lunch. Theres a sandwich bar, baked potatoes, soup, 2 meat meals and a veggie option, something carby like potatoes, rice or pasta and one or two veg options. Theres also bread rolls, fruit and a salad bar. Theres fruit juice and tea, coffee and hot chocolate (if you use your own mug). The main meal options tend to vary. They're usually made with pretty cheap meat and theres some weird and wonderful combinations but there is almost always something you can eat.
Dinner is much the same, without the baked potatoes and with a pudding.
I wouldn't say the food is high class cuisine but unless you are a really picky eater, you will find something. Some nights it might just me soup, bread roll, salad, fruit and a pudding or something but thats loads. It's nice not having to cook but you get to cook 2 nights at the weekends which is just enough. Mealtimes also allows you to meet people and make new friends in the first few weeks.

I hope thats enough info
Thankyou I think I'd be quite good with budgeting, and I don't drink, so I'm guessing that's a sizeable chunk of the weekly budget saved. Also the maintenance loan + grant will just cover the cost of accommodation for me, so that's a relief.

As for lunches, I didn't realise that lectures would run during lunch, I had assumed you'd be able to get food afterwards, but I suppose packed lunches are okay. Do you get some days where you have time to go back and get lunch?

Yeah, I was really impressed with the size of the rooms when I came up and had a look around- compared to some other halls I've seen at other Unis it was pretty good! Some were literally shuffle in sideways and then back out at other places, whereas when we had a look round the whole group looking around could fit in a double room comfortably!

I think if I'm in catered the fact I'm paying for 3 meals will hopefully be enough motivation to get me out of bed in time in the morning, possibly not on the weekends though...!
Oh-WOW
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Kayak)
Thankyou I think I'd be quite good with budgeting, and I don't drink, so I'm guessing that's a sizeable chunk of the weekly budget saved. Also the maintenance loan + grant will just cover the cost of accommodation for me, so that's a relief.

As for lunches, I didn't realise that lectures would run during lunch, I had assumed you'd be able to get food afterwards, but I suppose packed lunches are okay. Do you get some days where you have time to go back and get lunch?

Yeah, I was really impressed with the size of the rooms when I came up and had a look around- compared to some other halls I've seen at other Unis it was pretty good! Some were literally shuffle in sideways and then back out at other places, whereas when we had a look round the whole group looking around could fit in a double room comfortably!

I think if I'm in catered the fact I'm paying for 3 meals will hopefully be enough motivation to get me out of bed in time in the morning, possibly not on the weekends though...!
Technically the lunch hour for the uni is 1-2. But if you have a lecture until 1 and if you're a 15-20 minute walk away, you often miss lunch because it's over at 1.15. If I have a lecture until 1 and something else at 2 then I don't bother going back either because I can spend the hour doing work in the library rather than spending 15 mins walking back, quickly eating lunch and hurrying back into town. It's fine if you are close to halls, for example, Uni hall is right beside the science buildings so my scientist friends are fine but as I am an arts student, I am in town. and arts students who live in sallies or regs are close by but if you are a scientist living there, then you have the same problems with lunch.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
38.82%
No - but I will (46)
6.76%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.5%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (319)
46.91%

Watched Threads