How has your music taste developed? Watch

marcusmerehay
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by Jon2k11)
I think its quite sad you actually have to show all this off just to prove your point to be honest
Says the person who came in here just to rave about D&B and say all other music was ****? :toofunny:
ArtGoblin
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
When I was about 7 I loved the Spice Girls, mainly because everyone else at school liked them and my group of friends called themselves the 'Spice Gang'. At this time I had four albums - two Spice Girls, Billie Piper and All Saints.

I wasn't really into music at all from this period until I discovered Sophie Ellis Bextor and listened to her exclusively for a year or so. The turning point was when I got into Busted because I would watch the music channels for hours just to see their videos, so I became aware of other chart music and from this I was discovered Avirl Lavigne, McFly and Maroon 5.

The next stage was American pop-rock bands, which only included Green Day and Blink-182. I started to become more interested in 'real' bands in the charts from this, like The Killers, then I started reading NME religiously which is when I really got into music. I would find bands that sounded good in the Radar section and listen to them on MySpace. I have loads of crap albums from this method, but also discovered some incredible bands who I couldn't imagine living without. During this period I was a real indie snob, I refused to listen to pop music and would discard most bands once they had any hint of success in the charts.

I've become very lazy with music recently, and I'm listening to a lot music my parents liked when I was growing up, like Pulp and The Smiths. I can't be bothered to find new bands like I used to, and end up just buying the new albums of bands I already like. I'm also not embarrassed about my musical past like I used to be and will happily admit I like some songs that are in the charts.
Spider Pig
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
A lot of pop/electronic stuff before uni (that I still listen to...) but since coming to uni a lot more indie for some reason. It's fun liking bands no one else has heard of =D
LiamTheKook
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think its quite sad you actually have to show all this off just to prove your point to be honest
In all honesty it's quite sad how you judge people on the amount of exposure an artist they listen to has received. Who on earth cares how 'commercially successful' an artist is? If you don't like it then that's completely fine but don't bash others for listening to it. Everyone has their own tastes. I personally don't enjoy listening to Dubstep but I have no problem with someone listening to a Dubstep artist - mainstream or not. Their choice in music doesn't effect me or what I listen to in the slightest.
Jon2k11
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by marcusmerehay)
Says the person who came in here just to rave about D&B and say all other music was ****? :toofunny:
Nah you were sweating it trying to justify your "love" of DnB mate, don't try and twist it...
Jon2k11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by LiamTheKook)
In all honesty it's quite sad how you judge people on the amount of exposure an artist they listen to has received. Who on earth cares how 'commercially successful' an artist is? If you don't like it then that's completely fine but don't bash others for listening to it. Everyone has their own tastes. I personally don't enjoy listening to Dubstep but I have no problem with someone listening to a Dubstep artist - mainstream or not. Their choice in music doesn't effect me or what I listen to in the slightest.
Yeah it does, because it is ruining DnB with all the ****ty commercial artists, meaning all the good stuff is a lot harder to find, or has to adapt to the ****e new sound to actually sell, so yes it is a big deal
Chaofan88
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Spider Pig)
A lot of pop/electronic stuff before uni (that I still listen to...) but since coming to uni a lot more indie for some reason. It's fun liking bands no one else has heard of =D
This. If I had any positive rep to give, you'd get it. Too many overrated, ****ty artists these days.
LiamTheKook
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yeah it does, because it is ruining DnB with all the ****ty commercial artists, meaning all the good stuff is a lot harder to find, or has to adapt to the ****e new sound to actually sell, so yes it is a big deal
For my and everyone else who possess a brain in this forum's faith in human kind, i hope that was a joke. It is not difficult to find 'unheard' artists. The internet is hardly a wasteland of availability is it now? I have had no trouble finding both artists who are commercially successful and artists who have received next to no exposure, all from a wide range of genres. If you're finding it difficult to do that then I truly have lost all faith.
dnumberwang
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
i used to listen to rubbish mainstream rap and r&b when I was in year 6/7, now it's some screamo and indie, maybe some jazz and classical in the future.
Jon2k11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by LiamTheKook)
For my and everyone else who possess a brain in this forum's faith in human kind, i hope that was a joke. It is not difficult to find 'unheard' artists. The internet is hardly a wasteland of availability is it now? I have had no trouble finding both artists who are commercially successful and artists who have received next to no exposure, all from a wide range of genres. If you're finding it difficult to do that then I truly have lost all faith.
No, i was saying that artists become ****tier to reach a wider audience, as the music they make becomes less popular
aja89
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Ironically, as time has gone forwards, my taste in music has gone backwards. I listen to and enjoy all genres of music of course, but these were the main phases I guess.

Young kid:

12-16 ish:

17-19 ish:

20 to present:

LiamTheKook
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
No, i was saying that artists become ****tier to reach a wider audience, as the music they make becomes less popular
What on earth are you blubbering on about? If they are reaching a wider audience they are more popular. Whether a particular artist's music is good is purely subjective. There are plenty of other artists who have not achieved mainstream success and do things their own way. It's not difficult to find them. And there's absolutely no problem with you listening to such artists. Just as there is absolutely no problem with people listening to more popular artists.
mc1000
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Age 5-11: Mainly classical, i.e. what my parents listened to. Key artists: Mozart, Beethoven.

Age 11-13: Britpop and indie, small amount of classic rock. Key artists: Blur, Oasis, Coldplay, Queen

Age 13-14: Classic rock and metal, punk pop. Key artists: Queen, Guns n Roses, Green Day

Age 14-15: Classic rock, classic metal, (popular) thrash metal. Key artists: Metallica, Guns n Roses, AC/DC

Age 15-16.5: Thrash metal, progressive metal. Key artists: Metallica, Megadeth, Dream Theater.

Age 16.5-18: Progressive metal, thrash metal, classic prog rock. Key artists: Dream Theater, Opeth, Megadeth, Genesis

Age 18-19: Progressive metal, death metal, classical. Key artists: Dream Theater, Opeth, Bloodbath, Gustav Mahler

Age 19-20: Progressive rock, progressive metal, classical, alternative rock/metal. Key artists: Spock's Beard, Neal Morse, Opeth, Dream Theater, Gustav Mahler.
fire2burn
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Young kid (5-10): Black Sabbath, Motorhead, Iron Maiden, AC/DC, etc
Early teens (10-15): Slipknot, Cradle of Filth, Dimmu Borgir, Mortiis, Satyricon, Amen, etc
Late teens (15-20): Combichrist, Servo.hatred, Apoptygma Berzerk, VNV Nation, Infected Mushroom, etc
Early 20's: The Smiths, the Cure, David Bowie, Depeche Mode, plus all of the above ^
RabbitCFH
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Age 9ish - Robbie Williams and Ricky Martin
Age 14 - hip-hop
Age 15 - metal
Age 17 - metal and 80s rock
Age 18 - same but I started listening to punk rock and hardcore
Now (21) - I'm more open-minded. Punk rock, pop punk, hard rock, some metal, a bit of rap, 80s pop. I have a great music taste now.
PAPAdawg
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
first cds were spice girls, aqua and cher lmao when i was like 10. basically whatever was popular...and this continued up to about 13 when i discovered grunge liek linkin park, nirvana, nickelback and punk stuff like blink 182, offspring and cool rock like red hot chillis. these bands were all basically my religion for a couple of years. at 14 was obsessed with gangsta rap lol, but got bored of it in a few months and became obsessed with bob marley, then got bored of that and got into michael jackson.

so basically experimenting with everything. at 17/18 my taste settled on what it still now is at 21. primarily listen to rap and hip hop old and new, about 90% of my ipod. but still got the nirvana and linkin prk etc stuff. also got a bit of reggae, some marilyn manson and even some classical. basically im 90% rap and 10% everythin else, i appreciate all genres a little
burgergetsbored
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Used to be a hell of a lot of rock music until I found the eargasm tunes of dubstep
-aimz
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Up to the age of 12 - the usual pop music stuff. I used to tape Top of the Pops/The Top 40 every week so I remember a lot from that time.

13-15 - I went through an indie/rock phase. It was around 2005/6 when all those kind of bands were popular - Kaiser Chiefs,The Kooks,The Fratellis etc.

16 - Thankfully short lived phase of liking all the hip hop rap stuff my close friends were really into. :eek: What was I thinking!

17-now (18) - I'm now really into rock - pretty much anything from the 90s. Also really into the 80s. Found my most favourite band in the world ever and now there's no going back
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
5-12: Typical pop music. Artists like: Spice Girls, S Club, Peter Andre (:lolwut:), Backstreet Boys
13-14: Started getting into Avril Lavigne, Maroon 5, Pink, McFly, Beyonce, Sean Paul, Bhangra
15-16: Started to think pop music was lame and began listening to American teen bands (Sum 41, Blink 182, Green Day, Bowling for Soup, My Chemical Romance)
17-18: 'Indie' stuff (Pigeon Detectives, The Killers, Arctic Monkeys) also began listening to bands like: Enter Shikari, Linkin Park, Hadouken!, Pendulum, Disturbed, Bullet for my valentine, Radiohead, Modest Mouse, The Beatles, Circa Survive, Saosin.
Present: Listen to pretty much everything now started getting into rap again and listening to old favourites like Tupac, Biggy, Mos Def, Immortal Technique, Wiz Khalifa, Lupe, Nas, Dr Dre, Eminem. Bands: Disturbed, N-Dubz (:facepalm2:), Killswitch Engage, Sum 41, still love Radiohead and pretty much a lot of the bands from when I was 17-18.
and I listen to chart music a lot more

i think my music taste has gotten worse
marcusmerehay
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by spazman21)
You've been negged for your **** taste in music.
Oh no, I really care what you think. :cry2:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (499)
37.86%
No - but I will (100)
7.59%
No - I don't want to (90)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (629)
47.72%

Watched Threads