British people can't be trusted to govern themselves; leave it to Europe Watch

tieyourmotherdown
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Our system may be flawed, but it's a gift from God when compared to the EU Parliament.
Passenger101
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Britain needs to reject America and embrace Europe.
Steevee
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by misif)
Then the rest of Western Europe must be absolutely stellar in comparison. You can kid yourself that 'we get on just fine', but our continental neighbours pity us and I've even seen responses from Americans on this forum laughing at our lack of freedom.
Everyone of those countries have their own problems.

America is in no position to laugh at anyone. :rolleyes:

And a large portion of our problems stem from the EU and the UN. I'm not saying they are nessiciarly bad things, but they have imposed laws, sactions and precedents that do nothing but harm to this country.
TobeTheHero
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I bet most of you don't know how the EU works:facepalm2:
TobeTheHero
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Do you know... what most EU countries dislike Britain for? their ignorance of the EU!
Luceria
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Do like Norway, don't be a member.

Though that probably wouldn't work that well for the UK. Being quite different and a lot bigger. I don't know. I guess a deal like Switzerland wouldn't work either?
Norway isn't a member of the EU, but we love Brits :awesome:
RMorley
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Don't forget that this was the country that stood tall when the rest of Europe was ablaze and in shackles. This NHS isn't perfect but in terms of access for everyone I think it is one of the best in the world, most certainly better then the US.

England and later the UK has always been a different from Europe, be it protestantism from the Tudor period or monarchy later on, but to say we don't have a right to govern ourselves is totally wrong. Yeah we are different from Europe and some things we do better and some we do worse, but in balance we can't complain.
Luceria
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by RMorley)
Don't forget that this was the country that stood tall when the rest of Europe was ablaze and in shackles. This NHS isn't perfect but in terms of access for everyone I think it is one of the best in the world, most certainly better then the US.

England and later the UK has always been a different from Europe, be it protestantism from the Tudor period or monarchy later on, but to say we don't have a right to govern ourselves is totally wrong. Yeah we are different from Europe and some things we do better and some we do worse, but in balance we can't complain.
The health care in Norway is pretty good. Well it receives a lot of praise anyway. How true it is, I'm not sure. I don't think the UK is really different. It's not like the rest of Europe is all the same. And we have monarchy here as well .
Bulbasaur
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by misif)
This is a country that is very backward in enhancing the rights of the individual. We work the longest hours in Europe, we face the most intrusion from government in Western Europe, our healthcare is pisspoor compared to the rest of Europe. To top it all off, I found a headline in the Daily Mail (our second most widely read newspaper lest we forget) saying 'END THIS HUMAN RIGHTS MADNESS' because sex offenders are to be given the right to appeal something that happened a long time ago with no guarantee that they will ever come off. Our puppy-dog PM, pandering to a reactionary Middle England, started saying how 'deeply appalled' he was. The more I think about it, the more worried I get when Nigel Farage talks and gets a round of applause, because British people really cannot be trusted to govern themselves.
This is your first class deluded authoritarian eurocrat speaking.

I think you'll find the EU is more the cause of problems, not the solution.
Luceria
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Breedlove)
The weather.
Doubtful .lol. It's pretty much the same in the rest of Northern Europe.
RMorley
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Luceria)
The health care in Norway is pretty good. Well it receives a lot of praise anyway. How true it is, I'm not sure. I don't think the UK is really different. It's not like the rest of Europe is all the same. And we have monarchy here as well .
Oh most certainly the health care system in Norway is widely considered to be of the very best and I believe quite a few NHS ideas have come be observing the Norway system. However the UK does not have the same levels of government spending (as a percentage of GDP) compared to Norway and other Scandinavian countries and I think that is a structural difference between the two nations and most certainly a cultural one.
dring
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by misif)
Then the rest of Western Europe must be absolutely stellar in comparison. You can kid yourself that 'we get on just fine', but our continental neighbours pity us and I've even seen responses from Americans on this forum laughing at our lack of freedom.
Ahahahaha

Americans? Lack of freedom?

You were being sarcastic or something, right?
Luceria
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by misif)
"Lack of freedom" .. That reminds me of a hilarious Glenn Beck quote (talking about the band Muse and their performance of "Uprising")

"Now you have to remember that these are Europeans and they have been degraded for a very long time, really since the beginning of time. They have had very few glimpses of real freedom."
.Ali.
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by misif)
This is a country that is very backward in enhancing the rights of the individual. We work the longest hours in Europe, we face the most intrusion from government in Western Europe, our healthcare is pisspoor compared to the rest of Europe. To top it all off, I found a headline in the Daily Mail (our second most widely read newspaper lest we forget) saying 'END THIS HUMAN RIGHTS MADNESS' because sex offenders are to be given the right to appeal something that happened a long time ago with no guarantee that they will ever come off. Our puppy-dog PM, pandering to a reactionary Middle England, started saying how 'deeply appalled' he was. The more I think about it, the more worried I get when Nigel Farage talks and gets a round of applause, because British people really cannot be trusted to govern themselves.
Lol @ the angry commie. :teehee:
Wednesday Bass
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
So tell me, when our parliament cannot represent large parts of Britain well, how can someone in Brussels represent those areas well?
C_B_C
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I've grown to dislike people: a LOT.

And it's not just the Brits.

I've worked as a tourist guide in Spain and had the chance to meet and deal with roughly 300 people a day. After two years, my conclusion: people aren't nice.
I've lived in Liverpool for almost 3 years now... and I guess it's not the best city in this country...
But no one is nice: no one seems to have very good intentions. No one seems to be too smart or open minded...
I'm loving the student circle: I know some fantastic chaps and chapesses from my Uni, but as for other "average" people, I'm not liking them too much.

The fact that the daily mail is the second most read newspaper just makes me want to cry.

But don't think its just a British thing. The Spanish, Americans, Germans, Portuguese, Greek and even Israeli tourists I've met have been just as bad as the British ones.
misif
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by .Ali.)
Lol @ the angry commie. :teehee:
Lol at the thicko.
misif
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by Wednesday Bass)
So tell me, when our parliament cannot represent large parts of Britain well, how can someone in Brussels represent those areas well?
Why is it only Europe that is stopping this government from eroding our freedoms; and the British people are even against that?!
Nashy19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I agree on the human rights part.
Will Lucky
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Go and educate yourself properly before making such uninformed posts.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.8%
No - but I will (102)
7.68%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.85%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (633)
47.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise