is the iphone 5 even coming out this year? Watch

i.am.lost
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The announcement will most likely be on the 5th of June - see http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._june_5_9.html

So a late June release is almost certain, barring any manufacturing problems which I don't foresee given that it's not going to be a complete redesign like the 4.
should be revising
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

It'll look exactly like this but will have one slight difference,

(maybe the camera will have 1 megapixel more, maybe it'll be 0.1 mm thinner)

and as a result people will camp outside apple stores for days, hail Steve Jobs as a genius and I will further lose my faith in humanity.
ch0llima
Badges: 14
Report 8 years ago
There are rumours suggesting that the iPhone 5 will be the iPhone 4 with an 8MP camera and a general specs bump and, in all honesty, that sounds very likely. I reckon it'll be called the iPhone 4S or something like that, because if they call it the 4GS people will just moan that it's not 4G.

There's a rumour of an iPhone prototype with a slide-out keyboard... yes, it may exist but I highly doubt it'll go into production somehow.
i.am.lost
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ch0llima)
There are rumours suggesting that the iPhone 5 will be the iPhone 4 with an 8MP camera and a general specs bump and, in all honesty, that sounds very likely. I reckon it'll be called the iPhone 4S or something like that, because if they call it the 4GS people will just moan that it's not 4G.

There's a rumour of an iPhone prototype with a slide-out keyboard... yes, it may exist but I highly doubt it'll go into production somehow.
I think it will be called iPhone 5 because now they've caught up with the generation number, so I think they'll stick with 5/6/7 etc for the next few years as it's clearer to the average Joe.

Yes, it will probably a beefed up version of the iPhone 4. 8MP camera I've heard is likely, 64GB option (I will be so pissed off if there isn't a 64GB model), probably an integrated GSM/CDMA 'world phone' as it saves Apple money in terms of economies of scale and also avoids fragmentation. Despite rumors, I don't foresee them playing around with the screen this time. Updated processor and possibly more RAM. I'm sure there will be a couple of surprise features too.

Frankly, hardware-wise I'm more than happy with the iPhone 4 so any additions will be more than welcome (and, yes, I will be queuing on day 1 just as previously), but I think the crux of the work is in the OS. Yes, iOS is great but it's been relatively stagnant recently and is in desperate need of some exciting new features and improvements.

This is why I'm really looking forward to the March(ish) announcement of iOS 5 far more than the WWDC announcement of the iPhone 5 in June. I've had a dev account for the past few years so I always get to road-test the new iOS from March, so when I get the new model, it's sort of the icing of the cake for me rather than being a major upgrade since I'm already used to the software.
like omg
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
you're all stupid.
there IS NOT going to be an updated iphone this year.
suckerss
mikeyd85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by like omg)
you're all stupid.
there IS NOT going to be an updated iphone this year.
suckerss
I'd happily bet a months wage against you, if you're willing to accept. The iPhone 5 rumours are already starting... you know what that means.
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by mikeyd85)
I'd happily bet a months wage against you, if you're willing to accept. The iPhone 5 rumours are already starting... you know what that means.
Can I get in on this? =P
mikeyd85
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Gofre)
Can I get in on this? =P
Sure, though the odds will start having to move then!
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Sure, though the odds will start having to move then!
No worries, betting against people who think we won't see an update is easy money no matter what the profit is XD
muffingg
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm pretty sure. After all Apple wants to make more $$ and other smart phone companies are (obviously) going to bring out new phones with new technology, so apple won't wanna stay behind.

So, yes there is a 75% chance, there will be another iPhone coming out this year.
xStaceyy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
i want an iPhone 5...
Kevin J
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
There releasing a white iphone 4 in June, which probably means that a July release is unlikely.
dean01234
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It hasn't been announced, but is likely to be released in June / July 2011. So should be announced in may / June
bengalisoldier
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I want iPhone 5 mini one also apple should improve there battery life on their phone and ipod touch because battery is most important and need to last more then a day!
yoyo462001
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The new iPhone will have a worse batter life because it will have dual cores. And there will 100% be a new iPhone this year, it might be called the iPhone 4GS or 5. It will have two cores, improved camera and might have n nfc chip.
bengalisoldier
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
lol where did u heard them?
mikeyd85
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by bengalisoldier)
lol where did u heard them?
It'll be that spec as that's what the iPad 2 is running, though I've heard it's almost certainly not got NFC. If it wasn't dual core, it'd be murdered by Android in the next 16 months or so. The battery life on the iPad 2 is less than the original.
WelshBluebird
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by yoyo462001)
The new iPhone will have a worse batter life because it will have dual cores.
Why?
The iPad 2 has a dual core CPU, but has the same battery life as the original iPad.

The battery life on the iPad 2 is less than the original.
Everything I have read says otherwise (that it is the same, and in some cases a tiny bit better).

(Original post by Kevin J)
There releasing a white iphone 4 in June, which probably means that a July release is unlikely.
Last I read the white iphone is being released sometime very soon.
Although I have a feeling they may just mothball it and launch the next iPhone in white and black.
There is no reason to believe that Apple will change their yearly update cycle.
silent ninja
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by WelshBluebird)
There is no reason to believe that Apple will change their yearly update cycle.
I wonder if the Japanese earthquake might have an impact.
WelshBluebird
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by silent ninja)
I wonder if the Japanese earthquake might have an impact.
Actually, I didn't think of that.
It's a bloody good point considering how big a player Japan is in the tech world (i read something yesterday saying that nearly half of the global supply of flash memory comes from Japan)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (315)
37.77%
No - but I will (64)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.43%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (393)
47.12%

Watched Threads