?
Report 8 years ago
2 hours - it was volunteering though :hmmm:
Fandabidoze!
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
4 or 5 days. It was a paper round that I started last winter, not the best time to start a paper round admittedly. I had to wake up at about 5:30 (got to the newsagents at 6 in order to walk the round before school) 6 days a week for £12.50 a week.

I didn't need the money (not because my family's well off, I just wouldn't have spent the money on anything important) and couldn't be bothered waking up that early to walk in the rain and cold. I just didn't turn up on the Friday (or Saturday, can't remember which). My mum returned the bag for the papers while I was at school and told them I wouldn't be coming back. Felt a bit guilty for not even telling them myself.

EDIT: I'm thinking of applying for a waitering type job in a pub (that will be my only other job apart from the paper round). I will either love it or hate it, I reckon, no "meh, it's not great but I'll stick around anyway".
Ice_Queen
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I did one shift at a bar.

I did about six at a different bar before walking out about half an hour into my shift :p:

I learnt my lesson and have never done barwork since!
Fandabidoze!
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by kevin6767)
2 hours. I was 15, started at 9 am on a saturday and at 11 o'clock that morning the company went into administration :P It was in a shop with a big warehouse in the back and they basically said help yourself to whatever you can carry, if you don't take it HMRC will just sell it off to discount stores. I think the supervisors were a bit miffed at loosing their jobs without warning :P
What did you take (if anything)?
LaughingBro
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
2 days xmas temp.
adam_zed
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Worked 2 months at a high street retail shop. My boss kept changing my shifts without me knowing so I quit and got a better job that allows me to meet people from all backgrounds, pays better and takes me all over London. Beats being ignored by my boss and moaned at by some customer for accidentely giving 1p change instead of 2p as she slams down her Louis Vuitton wallet.

(Original post by big-bang-theory)
I did 3 days testing the Deal or No Deal and Pirates of the Caribbean DVD games, but it was only meant to be a 3 day thing.
No offence but surely claiming JSA and watching Jeremy Kyle would have been more interesting?
silent ninja
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
When I was 18 I got this job in Christian Salvesen. Pay was good for that age. It was in a big warehouse dealing with logistics for supermarkets. Anyway the first task given to me was to stack clean crates, that had passed through this huge steam cleaning machine, one on top of another as they came on the conveyor. The crates were large and came in quick session, add the insane humidity and I was ****ed after 2 hours! I got my break at that time and well, ran off! Lol Funny because the manager wanted me back in 15 pronto.

So it was 8.03am, I'm sitting in a Little Chef cafe in the middle of nowhere, don't know where I am, have no lift home (agency dropped me off) and I've already been sacked. Good times lol
Nutini
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I worked in a club and on the first night I passed out because of the heat and dehydration, I am quite embarrassed about it, and that is one of the reasons that I never went back :P
When will I know?
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
7/8 weeks, with my friend too, it was fun
vickie89
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
3 weeks. technically 3 days though as it was saturday and sunday mornings and i only made it for 3 weeks before i was asked to leave. i was about 14 and my mum came upstairs saying she had got me a job at a cattery, cleaning out the cats cages and feeding them, horrible job but it paid me £20 for what was basically 1 days work a week. i then found out off mum after the 3rd week that they didnt want me to go back, not sure why but as i actually managed to do my work quicker than the older lady who worked there (she was about 50), i have a feeling that the older lady took a bit of a disliking towards me or somethin, though i really didnt care as i really disliked it.
JunePlum
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
A month.....
kristinaalovesu
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
3 months. I just can't stand working as a hostess in a 5 star restaurant. I feel downgraded, I dislike some of my co-workers and I only got along with one guy and he didn't stayed that long because he's graduating from uni that time. They are not organized even though the restaurant is really famous and known for it's elegance. All in all the place was hell for me.
thenubreed
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
1 hour picking lettuces with my mate....then we found out the wage was £3.30 an hour so we told the boss the job wasnt for us and got wrecked.
Noodlepants
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Primark, 2 weeks, it is an actual slave factory.
You have to clock in and out to go to the toilet... and that's if they let you go.
You can't even imagine cleaning it at the end of the day, refolding all those jeans/jumpers etc.
I just never went in after those two Saturdays and the manager rang my house asking for Heather (me), I didn't recognise it was her so I was like "Hi yeh that's me" and then she said "Oh Hi it's Kirsty from Pri..." to which I hung up. Tehehe
bellacute
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
6 hours working in a hotel making beds, i was so knackered and they didn't let me go home til 7.30pm, as i had to make beds as guests were leaving their rooms.

Didn't stay cuz the boss wanted full time and i went in on a Sunday and had school Monday morning. £42 for it tho, best days work a 16yr old can do
TheSownRose
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Think I can claim four hours...

It was in a Lloyds Pharmacy for work experience and, because I was only about fifteen, I assumed I'd just be on the counter that sells perfume and that malarky. Not so!

Instead, I was in the pharmacy bit, given five minutes of being told everything that I can and can't sell ... and just left to it, selling over the counter bits that I had no clue about the consequences of; luckily, no one bought any medication apart from paracetamol (and I remember my 'training' on that), it was all plasters and bandages. After a while, the first prescription customer came in and, not being a pharmacist, I asked him to wait whilst I got someone.

Found the manager, who essentially told me to just deal with it. Told her that I had no training at all on how to just deal with it, suspected it is actually illegal for me to just deal with and refused to just deal with it. She got annoyed; later on, she entered talks with the school about how I 'just (wasn't) suitable'.

I left for lunch and just never went back; spent most of the first half of my work experience with the other work experience 'unemployed' playing games in the IT suites whilst the work experience co-ordinator found us other placements, and the second half at a school, which was much nicer.
parpirate
Badges: 12
Report 8 years ago
6 weeks, worked in one Halfords for 2.5 years then moved to the one near uni but decided that working Sat and Sun mornings wasn't worth the hassle.
Pendulum
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
2 months part time at a pharmacy, 2 weeks for work experience
SpiritedAway
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
3 hours. My parents got me a summer job after year 11 working in pay roll for some company. It was the most mind-numbing thing I have ever done. I went on a break and never came back .
Potiron
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Two and a half days, trying to sell burglar alarms to old ladies in Bognor Regis. I walked out and by the weekend had a job working in a manor house.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.83%
No - but I will (88)
7.51%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (560)
47.82%

Watched Threads