The Student Room Group

Food at Cambridge.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dd4483
So we can safely assume there is a link between the not-so-good colleges and good food?

Totally. Like, this is how the "not-so-good colleges" attract people you know.

Go get a life
Reply 21
I am so GLAD some one started this thread. Does some know how the food is in RGU???
Are the deliveries & takeaways out of college decent? I'm Chinese, so I'd probably be hungering for some Chinese food at least once.. :biggrin: And pizza?
Reply 23
Original post by mundanemeddling
Are the deliveries & takeaways out of college decent? I'm Chinese, so I'd probably be hungering for some Chinese food at least once.. :biggrin: And pizza?

One word. Dominos.

Apart from that, I find food at Queens' is very good :smile: And, takeaways are never a problem. I'm sure it's the same with other colleges!
Reply 24
An ex-Caius student said that, on eating a salad starter at Merton formal, that this meal was already better than anything he had ever eaten at Caius. I hope he was joking!
(edited 13 years ago)
Dear oh dear. But I hear that Caius accepts more medics compared to other colleges?
Reply 26
Original post by ultramarine
Totally. Like, this is how the "not-so-good colleges" attract people you know.

Go get a life

Go get over it.
Dear oh dear. But I hear that Caius accepts more medics compared to other colleges?

yup, way more. 27 this year I heard (or 26? something like that).
Original post by dd4483
Go get over it.

To be fair, apart from John's, there doesn't seem to be a single college you actually like. The colleges are all pretty much equal in academic standard.

Besides which, John's has good food. Does that mean it's really bad?

Trinity has good food. Does that mean it's really bad?

On the upside, i guess, i go to one of the two "good" colleges, according to you, since we have terrible food...
Reply 29
Original post by gethsemane342
To be fair, apart from John's, there doesn't seem to be a single college you actually like. The colleges are all pretty much equal in academic standard.

Besides which, John's has good food. Does that mean it's really bad?

Trinity has good food. Does that mean it's really bad?

On the upside, i guess, i go to one of the two "good" colleges, according to you, since we have terrible food...

Chill :wink:
How's food at Churchill actually? I got an offer, but haven't been to the college since I had my interview in Hong Kong.
Reply 31
None of it's as good as food at Oxford. Just sayin'.:colone:
I would pick a college with decent kitchens (see suggestions in self-catering at cambridge thread) and make your own. You only need to cook once every 3 days or so, then eat leftovers.

For eating out, dojos and yippee were my favourites. Big portions of asian food for not much money.

Murray Edwards! Provided that you're a girl of course :biggrin:

we have pretty great food everyday (decent price as well), and our formal halls are awesome :smile:

Hello!!!! i got an offer from Murray edwards for medicine :biggrin:
Just wondering, i heard something about theres no food served in halls on tuesday? do we go to another college to eat or something?
thank u :biggrin:

Theres a good chinese restaurant near st Johns :biggrin: (i ate there during interviews coz sidney sussex didnt serve dinner! :tongue: )
Generally, which colleges can you forget about expecting decent food from then?
Generally, which colleges can you forget about expecting decent food from then?

Christ's, Caius. (I have a debate going with a Caian about which of us has the worse food. Will find out soon i think)

To be fair, Christ's is edible and they're putting more effort in now. But it really is a case of you get what you pay for - we have very cheap food. We just don't get as good quality as other colleges :smile:
Reply 37
Original post by gethsemane342
Christ's, Caius. (I have a debate going with a Caian about which of us has the worse food. Will find out soon i think)

To be fair, Christ's is edible and they're putting more effort in now. But it really is a case of you get what you pay for - we have very cheap food. We just don't get as good quality as other colleges :smile:

Don't tell me the food is terrible! I just got an offer from Christ's! :P
But saying that, I will eat just about anything that looks vaguely edible and won't poison me, so maybe that's not such a big problem after all ^_^
Also, I didn't mind the food all that much for interview, it was definitely all very edible :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by kpatb
Don't tell me the food is terrible! I just got an offer from Christ's! :P
But saying that, I will eat just about anything that looks vaguely edible and won't poison me, so maybe that's not such a big problem after all ^_^
Also, I didn't mind the food all that much for interview, it was definitely all very edible :smile:

Ha ha, it's not like it's comletely inedible and i find it's nice enough. But it's very unhealthy, some dishes are best avoided and we've never worked out quite what they do to the carrots... If you like posh food/ you're used to very good food, you'll be disappointed. If you're like me and never had any cooking skills to begin with, it's not too bad :wink:
I've heard from my Newnham friend their hall food is pretty bad. Pembroke, John's and Sidney Sussex are supposed to have good formals - there's this competition every year between the chefs of the colleges and all three of them have won at some point. I went to a Clare formal recently and was pretty impressed too.
For normal hall food, Downing's great! It's a bit expensive, but a lot of natscis and scientists go there because it's near and the quality's good.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending