£612 to spend on a phone... Watch

f00ddude
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by iPodAddict93)
Well everyone seems to be getting iPhones now, and it's not so much of a 'wow, you have an iPhone?!' but more of an 'oh, you have an iPhone...'

Get an HTC, something with a beautiful screen and not that many people have. I always try to get something that nobody else does so I'm not a frickin sheep.
me too, i got a desire thinking ooh special, didnt know anyone with it when i bought it and it had rave reviews
2months later other people start getting them and my special feeling goes
didgeridoo12uk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by U.S Lecce)
I thought they weren't bringing out an iphone 5 and were either bringing out an slightly updated version of the iphone 4 (like the 3gs) or were bringing out a cheaper smaller iphone.
ok, well nobody knows what it'll be called. i'm assuming they called the 3gs the 3gs because if they called it the iPhone 3 it would just create confusion. most people at the moment seem to think the next one will either be the iphone 5, or simply just the iPhone to bring the naming into line with how they name the rest of their products.

yeh i've heard the smaller iPhone rumour being floated about, but apple have said its a load of rubbish (not that they would confirm it). but it just doesn't make much sense. a smaller touchscreen would be harder to use, it would actually require quite a bit of money/work for R&D and apple effectively already have "budget' iPhones in the sense that the ones from last year are sold at a cheaper price.
infernalcradle
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by U.S Lecce)
I thought they weren't bringing out an iphone 5 and were either bringing out an slightly updated version of the iphone 4 (like the 3gs) or were bringing out a cheaper smaller iphone.
I dunno....but whatever it is,...it seems to be what the OP wants
Maths Freak!!!
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
How about you give me that £612 SORTED.
Mad Vlad
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by f00ddude)
me too, i got a desire thinking ooh special, didnt know anyone with it when i bought it and it had rave reviews
2months later other people start getting them and my special feeling goes
You should take that with a positive spin - you got it while it was still underground. :awesome:
U.S Lecce
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
ok, well nobody knows what it'll be called. i'm assuming they called the 3gs the 3gs because if they called it the iPhone 3 it would just create confusion. most people at the moment seem to think the next one will either be the iphone 5, or simply just the iPhone to bring the naming into line with how they name the rest of their products.

yeh i've heard the smaller iPhone rumour being floated about, but apple have said its a load of rubbish (not that they would confirm it). but it just doesn't make much sense. a smaller touchscreen would be harder to use, it would actually require quite a bit of money/work for R&D and apple effectively already have "budget' iPhones in the sense that the ones from last year are sold at a cheaper price.
Well I hope it is just an updated version of the iphone 4 cause i've just got the iphone 4 on a 24 month contract and i'd be gutted if they brought out a whole new generation!
teshnit
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Well everyone seems to be getting iPhones now, and it's not so much of a 'wow, you have an iPhone?!' but more of an 'oh, you have an iPhone...'

Get an HTC, something with a beautiful screen and not that many people have. I always try to get something that nobody else does so I'm not a frickin sheep.
So your an anti-sheep (a form of sheep but reversed lol)

Usually the flocks of people with the same phone has a reason, it's a good phone maybe? iPhones are genius bits of tech, and the reason HTCs and Andriod became so popular these days is because the original ingenuity by Apple, so if you ant to ignorant as your post your a "cheap sheep" haha anyway this was in all light-heartedness so dont take it to heart but just needed to say soemthing as your being a bit hypocritical since quite alot of people ahve HTC now anyway

Personally i rep the Blackberry Bold 9780/iPod Touch combo
f00ddude
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Mad Vlad)
You should take that with a positive spin - you got it while it was still underground. :awesome:
yeh, and shows its good i guess
i kinda miss people saying "wow that looks nice, what phone is that?"
now its "oh ive got a desire too"
Panda Vinnie
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If you're swaying towards an iPhone then I'd wait for the new one to come out. No point in spending that much money on a phone that's soon about to have a newer model.

Get a basic phone for the next few months and then get the new iPhone. Alternatively you could get one of the new Android beasts if you're interested in that...in which case there's a huge range. The Samsung Galaxy S2 looks like it'll be a pretty good phone, there's the Nexus S too.
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'd wait for the "iPhone 5". It will be superior to the iPhone 4 regardless (Unless they move it in a majorly different direction), so you'll either have a new phone you'll want, the iPhone 4 will get a price reduction, or Android manufacturers will be falling over each other in an effort to produce the first "iPhone 5" killer, and produce some great phones to choose from. If you can put up without one until then, it's a win-win.
f00ddude
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Gofre)
I'd wait for the "iPhone 5". It will be superior to the iPhone 4 regardless (Unless they move it in a majorly different direction), so you'll either have a new phone you'll want, the iPhone 4 will get a price reduction, or Android manufacturers will be falling over each other in an effort to produce the first "iPhone 5" killer, and produce some great phones to choose from. If you can put up without one until then, it's a win-win.
in the current market your phone will only be "the best" for a few months
and tbh, the iphone hasnt been the best phone out since the original. the iphone 4 was rated as the third best smart phone when it came out, behind the desire (on android 2.1 as well) and galaxy s
INTit
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Everyone is turning against IPhone these days.
Don't be a sheep ! get an iphone !
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by f00ddude)
in the current market your phone will only be "the best" for a few months
and tbh, the iphone hasnt been the best phone out since the original. the iphone 4 was rated as the third best smart phone when it came out, behind the desire (on android 2.1 as well) and galaxy s
That's pretty much the case for all technology, it progresses too quickly for anything to be deemed unequivocally superior to everything else on the market for any real period of time. But the iPhone is still the best selling handset on the market (Not necessarily the best, but the best selling), making it a benchmark that other phones are placed against, whether it's justified or not. It's all down to personal preference anyway, every phone has it's own pros and cons [=
lonelykatana
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Nick Longjohnson)
Use crap one for now.

Get Motorola Atrix when it comes out.
That.

Why do you lot think the upcoming iphone version will be a massive change?
Thats not the apple way at all.
Malism
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
£612 ON A MOBILE PHONE?!?!?!? That is a ridiculous amount of money to spend on something that goes out of fashion in a week.

Get a phone with buttons and spend £612 on something worthwhile. Dont you have a hobby? If i had £612 i would spend it on some more music production bits or buy a new lens for my camera or get some nice prints done for my wall or something.. such an epic waste on money considering most people only use them on commutes when you could read/look out window/listen to music or when they are at home when you should be doing something fun already.. well you could update your Facebook status when your watching tv....

For the love of sanity, humanity, morality, buy something other than a mobile phone with that.. its a gift, use it wisely.
SAK.A
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

Nice and your username is iPod addict. Ok.
didgeridoo12uk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by Malism)
£612 ON A MOBILE PHONE?!?!?!? That is a ridiculous amount of money to spend on something that goes out of fashion in a week.

Get a phone with buttons and spend £612 on something worthwhile. Dont you have a hobby? If i had £612 i would spend it on some more music production bits or buy a new lens for my camera or get some nice prints done for my wall or something.. such an epic waste on money considering most people only use them on commutes when you could read/look out window/listen to music or when they are at home when you should be doing something fun already.. well you could update your Facebook status when your watching tv....

For the love of sanity, humanity, morality, buy something other than a mobile phone with that.. its a gift, use it wisely.
it's much more than a phone. it organises my life. it lets me speak to my friends around the world for free any time of the day. controls all my media at home. entertains me during lectures. lets me read a ridiculous range of news for free anytime/where i like. allows me to listen to pretty much any song i fancy instantly... i use it considerably more than my laptop which cost twice as much
shadow99
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Get a cheap Android phone, you can get an Orange San francisco for £100 and its a decent phone, or spend £400 on an iPhone 4.
Malism
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
it's much more than a phone. it organises my life. it lets me speak to my friends around the world for free any time of the day. controls all my media at home. entertains me during lectures. lets me read a ridiculous range of news for free anytime/where i like. allows me to listen to pretty much any song i fancy instantly... i use it considerably more than my laptop which cost twice as much
A computer can do all that, the internet or what your phone is for (phoning) can do that.. the internet connects the world, you have a laptop..music can be listened to on any format, even 12" vinyls were played on portable systems.. in lectures you should be learning.. a diary can organise your life better than any phone.. fingers and buttons control media.. if you mean like a remote then thats a nice feature but still a remote can do that...

I dont see the justification for spending £612. i have a £150 odd Sony Ericsson on a contract (so it was free) which can do all that.. i dont really see a difference other than a personal issue/reason which cant really be that valid or a fashion statement..

Far more worthwhile items to purchase or things to invest in IMO.
Wolvarium
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Malism)
A computer can do all that, the internet or what your phone is for (phoning) can do that.. the internet connects the world, you have a laptop..music can be listened to on any format, even 12" vinyls were played on portable systems.. in lectures you should be learning.. a diary can organise your life better than any phone.. fingers and buttons control media.. if you mean like a remote then thats a nice feature but still a remote can do that...

I dont see the justification for spending £612. i have a £150 odd Sony Ericsson on a contract (so it was free) which can do all that.. i dont really see a difference other than a personal issue/reason which cant really be that valid or a fashion statement..

Far more worthwhile items to purchase or things to invest in IMO.
I have to agree.

Of course ultimately its your money so its yours to do with what you will but its quite sad that our generation and the younger generations are increasingly becoming dependant on machines and little bits of circuit board. Instead of 5 year olds going out and creating their own games with their imagination like I used to, they stay inside and play on an xbox.

Soon people will not be able to live their lives without being connected to some form of technology the way things are going. People should be able to cope without having some screen in front of them 24/7.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (316)
37.44%
No - but I will (66)
7.82%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.35%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (400)
47.39%

Watched Threads