DMU Accommodation 2011 Watch

charlottelouise
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm in Kingfisher Court at the moment, and it's really nice
The rent is quite cheap, but it will probably go up from the price I'm paying now.
I would deffo recommend Kingfisher for anyone
fionalkf
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Charley_Razzles)
Sorry but LOL! There isn't a park view in Viccy Halls, there's main road, not so main road, quiet road or church with graveyard view haha. I'm in E block and from my bedroom window I can see the Church/graveyard [Lovely thing to wake up to btw, haha] but the kitchen/living room is the really noisy main road. It isn't so bad in E block, i'm quite high up [second from top floor] so it isn't as noticable as say from the ground floor. As for the other blocks I don't really know. I know C block is either noisy main road or views into the Victoria Hall 'courtyard' [which is really just a car park] E block is good. From what I know of C block that's quite good too except on the ground floor, well any block ground floors because thats where the door to the blocks are and people come and go at all hours and the doors bang, I think the best floor to be on if possible is top, because it's high up enough that traffic is a mostly a background noise and you don't hear the 'front door' bang and there's no banging from the floors above [which is soooo annoying]. A block is right next to the laundry room so ground floor on A block probably isn't the best place to pick haha.

Of course others will have different ideas of which the best blocks are but I definitley recommend E. I know hardly any of this is what you asked lol, but I hope it makes sense.

Any other questions let me know

=)
Hi there
Thank you so much for the details. Really appreciate that. Just realize that I've been allocated to Waterway Gardens. Will be studying BSc Adult Nursing. Maybe someone here could recommend a good house? Hehe.
lildandan
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Anyone near me ?
I will be in Grosvenor House

GH-B-2D
Jhann
Report 8 years ago
Im currently living in Grosvenor House and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Our kitchen was extrememly tatty and horrible when we moved in. The oven door wasnt sealed so the ovens never worked properly and despite complaining three times nothing has been done about it. Recently our fridge broke and it took them 48 hours to give us a temporary repalcement, but by then all our food was wasted as they hadn't given us anywhere else to store it. It then took them another week before they brought in a new fridge. The kitchen was meant to be shared by four people but is way too small - I've had to use my wardrobe to store pots and pans.
The majority of the staff are rude and unhelpful. They are rarely in the office and its often hard to get help from them when you need it.
The only good thing I can say about it is its location - its metres away from both the campus and the city centre. Unfortunately it has a three-lane road running infront of it and the noise from this will give you a fair few rough nights especially with ambulances flying past every 15 minutes.
I'd recommend Liberty Park or Bede Hall. From what I've seen and heard they are easily the best two.
shereez234
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
can somebody give comments on victoria hall? D block?

and i heard you have to live in same sex flats?? or is it the floors the same sex or the flats?or block???
leinadylime
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Just booked my room, im in Newarke Point. anyone else? So far it looks like just me :P
Tatty_
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by leinadylime)
Just booked my room, im in Newarke Point. anyone else? So far it looks like just me :P

I'm in newarke point C-3-3-d there are a few others on the facebook site, where are you?
Crazee'
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I can't book my accommodation online as it says "From 11 May 2011 Conditional Firm students will be able to book their room"...why not now?!?
shereez234
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Crazee')
I can't book my accommodation online as it says "From 11 May 2011 Conditional Firm students will be able to book their room"...why not now?!?
unconditional students can only book before may!!! so what course did you apply for?
Crazee'
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by shereez234)
unconditional students can only book before may!!! so what course did you apply for?
HR Management
Damn that means I have to wait until after May eee
jadeyxo
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
got an unconditional for photography & video so will be applying for halls soon!
stuck between newarke point and victoria halls. anyone have any idea why a semi-deluxe room at victoria is cheaper than standard in newpoint? the only reason i can find is that newarke point is a bit closer but everythings close anyway?! x
mjfisher17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hey, I'm staying in Grosvenor House, Block E, Flat 15.

Anyone in same block or flat?
EHarrison
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hey. Im currently in my first year and staying at Bede. Yes Bede can be very wild, as anyone in my flat will tell you. I have no problem sharing with 9-10 other guys because the banter is very good and there is never a problem when it comes to sharing the kitchen or the bathrooms. If you dont know, in Bede, there are 3 cookers, 2 friges, 2 freezers, 2 showers and 2 toilets and depending on which flat your in, sharing with 9-10 other people. Last year the flats were mixed sex, as of this year they are single sex. I cant say what they are going to be next year. This new system isnt for some but if you come to Bede, your gell with the flats around your and always end up going on a night out with other flats. For the price im paying, if by far THE best that ive seen, in terms of room size and quality. Im currently in A2.07 which overlooks the canal and Vulgar Monkey, your door has taken a pounding and is a very worthy fire door. Nice and solid. Jokes aside there is nothing wrong with any of the the rooms that i know of. All in perfect condition. A2 is THE flat to be in. :P Tesco and Sainsburys is literally ~100m from the front door and DMU is 5mins walk. Comes in handy when you have a 9am and you sleep in, as what i often tend to do.

PS. Some flats in Bede do have balconies, but as of early this year (2011) they have all been locked due someone falling off one when drunk.... (we were not amused). I cant say if they are gonna stay like that, but just to give you guys the heads up. I would deffinately recommend Bede to anyone.
Lucfonzy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Just firmed DMU for an art course, I was initially gonna apply for Newarke point cos it's the closest to the faculty, but I've heard they had a lot of burglaries last year? :P
So now I'm looking at Victoria, but Newarke still seems like a good choice.

Any insights? Cheers
leinadylime
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Tatty_)
I'm in newarke point C-3-3-d there are a few others on the facebook site, where are you?

Hey! Ahh i haven't looked on the site.
I'm in C - 1 - 1 - D!
So two floors down! You got facebook?
Tatty_
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by leinadylime)
Hey! Ahh i haven't looked on the site.
I'm in C - 1 - 1 - D!
So two floors down! You got facebook?

hiii yeah my name is Tatty Sawires on facebook
PorridgeMonster
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Ive booked my place in Victoria halls. My code is VH-E-21-1. Anyone able to clarify which floor that is on?
shereez234
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by PorridgeMonster)
Ive booked my place in Victoria halls. My code is VH-E-21-1. Anyone able to clarify which floor that is on?
Charley_Razzles
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by PorridgeMonster)
It's on the 6th floor, E block, Flat 21, room 1

I'm in E17 atm and i'm on the 5th floor =)

(Original post by shereez234)
can somebody give comments on victoria hall? D block?

and i heard you have to live in same sex flats?? or is it the floors the same sex or the flats?or block???
It's same sex flats and floors in Victoria hall. Mixed blocks though. I'm just going to copy and paste what I said earlier in the thread haha:

I'm in E block and from my bedroom window I can see the Church/graveyard [Lovely thing to wake up to btw, haha] but the kitchen/living room is the really noisy main road. It isn't so bad in E block, i'm quite high up [second from top floor] so it isn't as noticable as say from the ground floor. As for the other blocks I don't really know. I know C and D block is either noisy main road or views into the Victoria Hall 'courtyard' [which is really just a car park] E block is good. From what I know of C block that's quite good too except on the ground floor, well any block ground floors because thats where the door to the blocks are and people come and go at all hours and the doors bang, I think the best floor to be on if possible is top, because it's high up enough that traffic is a mostly a background noise and you don't hear the 'front door' bang and there's no banging from the floors above [which is soooo annoying because the floors are soooo thin haha and the walls too btw]. A block is right next to the laundry room so ground floor on A block probably isn't the best place to pick haha.

Other than that, the caretakers are quite good at fixing things and replacing things that stop working. The post is secure which is a good thing but it's kept in the reception which means you can only collect it during the office hours. And it's key fob entry which is good for security but people tailgate all the time which is annoying. And it's really close to all buildings of DMU and not that far from town also the nightclub Mosh is just across the road from VH. Plus loads of takeaways and stuff.

(Original post by jadeyxo)
got an unconditional for photography & video so will be applying for halls soon!
stuck between newarke point and victoria halls. anyone have any idea why a semi-deluxe room at victoria is cheaper than standard in newpoint? the only reason i can find is that newarke point is a bit closer but everythings close anyway?! x
Yeah but Newarke point is literally right on campus, victoria is about 3-4 minutes walk from Hawthorn and about 8 minutes walk from campus center (the SU) also it depends on what's in the halls I guess, like the amenities you can get. Like Victoria doesn't have the common room with vending machines and lockable post boxes.

Any other questions let me know =)
sarahmiriam
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Charley_Razzles)
Any other questions let me know =)
Just wondering if you know what they're like on people staying over night in Victoria? And also do you know much about the Semi-Deluxe Rooms as that's what I'm going for I think.

Booking day for Conditionals needs to arrive sooner!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• De Montfort University
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 5 Jun '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (512)
37.76%
No - but I will (104)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (93)
6.86%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (647)
47.71%

Watched Threads